Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madteaparty33

Best source for affordable bamboo floor with no offgassing?

madteaparty33
11 years ago

Hello all--My husband and I are embarking on a budget kitchen reno in an old farmhouse we bought. We've settled on bamboo, but I have very low tolerance for formaldehyde, etc offgassing. Can you recomend a good source for me(and I hope the answer is not "go with tile") :) Many thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

We used Teragren Synergy bamboo floors in our bedrooms when we renovated a couple years ago and never noticed an "off-gassing" type smell (like some of the bamboo samples we brought home). Even when we opened up the plastic wrapped boxes, we didn't notice anything.

This is from Teragren's website: Teragren floors are certified by FloorScore�, which ensures the quality of indoor air for high performance schools and offices and meets stringent standards for 78 volatile organic compounds, including formaldehyde.

All Teragren panels are SCS Indoor Advantage� Gold-certified, which means they've been tested to meet emissions standards, including formaldehyde, and comply with the California Special Environmental Requirements Specification 01350, which is designed to ensure health through good indoor air quality. It is also one of the United States' most stringent indoor air quality standards.

I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for, but I thought I'd share our experience with it.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Here is an older GW Flooring discussion of Bamboo Flooring and off gassing. Perhaps it will help you in some way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

I just had about 650 square feet of Teragren Synergy delivered today (that's 2 tons, for anyone counting). DH and I moved all the boxes from the driveway where they were left into the living room where they're going to stay for a couple of days. Once there, I did notice a bit of a smell but not necessarily formaldehyde-ish. We didn't have time to take the plastic off all the boxes but will do that tomorrow. We're not living in the house. Floors will be installed in 3 days. Some of Teragren's marketing literature implies that it's formaldehyde free, but a close look at the box says that the glue they use meets or exceeds formaldehyde standards.

Having said all that, my flooring guy says Teragren is the best brand out there so we'll see how it goes.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that I purchased my Teragren through QualityFlooring4Less.

Here is a link that might be useful: QualityFlooring4Less

• aliris19
    11 years ago

We used these guys: Anbient Bamboo Floors. I have not smelled any offgassing, but perhaps would not. I didn't do the research on this myself, but trust it's OK -- we liked dealing with the company.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Our floors are Plyboo strand. No formaldehyde, floorscore certified. They smelled like brown sugar when first delivered! They're super hard. Our old oak floor scratched and dented way more easily, but the blemishes blended in well. (Not so well for the bamboo.) I still love the bamboo, though. FYI end and flat grain bamboo seem wimpy to me - lightweight and very easy to scratch.

Happy floor shopping!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plyboo