Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Good GC in Orange County California?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable GC? We want to work with someone who will let us choose the cabinet maker, windows/doors, counters, sinks, appliances instead of insisting that we use their subs etc. for these types of line items.

Comments (13)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump

• lyfia
    16 years ago

You could always try servicemagic an online service to match you with contractors in your area (free for you contractors I think pay to be on there) and note that you want to be able to choose these materials from where ever you want. Don't say you don't want to use their subs though as as subs would be installers, electricians, plumbers etc.

I've had good luck with using this service to find people when needed. They have certain requirements for the people that lists with them and has a rating system. All have been very professional that I've dealt with and prices have been along the same as others I've interviewed outside the service.

I used it to find a roofer for my porch roofs, a painter to remove popcorn ceiling (I've since re-used this painter a few times for other things), stone mason to repair and seal a chimney.

Another option would be to try angie's list if they have that in your area. I think you have to pay a small fee to be a member, but you can get recommendations from other people there.

• claireanne
    16 years ago

We live in Orange County in Irvine and I can't say enough good things about our GC. When a meeting was scheduled, he was there on time, he was always attentive to our needs, and his crew was wonderful, his foreman outstanding. There was always someone here working, the job went so smoothly...

We picked out our appliances and had them waiting in the garage before he started our job. I chose my own flooring and installer. His cabinet guy was wonderful and we are so happy with our custom cabs, both in the kitchen and family room, so I was thrilled with his recommendation.

Send me an email and I can give you his contact information. Just click on my user name above and you'll see my email addy.

Claire

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

I can only tell you who not to use. His name is Randy Hall. We had to fix his screw ups. Horrible experience. We became our own GC, after that.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

claireanne, I sent you an email. Can you let me know if received it? Thanks!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, kstones! Would you mind passing on his contact info?

• claireanne
    16 years ago

sarschlos remodeler - Haven't been hanging out here lately, just too darn busy. I don't recall an email from you, hope I didn't delete it by mistake. Please send another and I'll be on the lookout for it. If I don't hear from you in a couple of days I'll post again. I noticed you don't list your email addy on your member page.

Claire

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Claire. I've sent you a second email. Not sure why the last one didn't go through. Please let me know if you get it!

• claireanne
    16 years ago

sarschlos remodeler - no email from you. Why don't you amend your account and allow emails so I can then get in touch with you.

Claire

• kstones
    16 years ago

Here is his number Great to work with ....Eric Helgeson 562-938-1814 " Express property"

• claireanne
    16 years ago

sarschlos remodeler - Thought I'd just post my GC's name also, it is Mike McKay (714)848-8703 of McKay Construction, Inc. You're welcome to come over and see my remodel or to call me for more info. Just telephone Mike and tell him the Barreres (in Irvine) said to give you their phone number. Our remodel was basically a little of everything on our main floor, including gutting the old kitchen and tearing down the wall between the dining room and kitchen. Oh, we also pushed out the kitchen 5'.

This remodel was phase I and Mike will be doing upstairs next year for us.

Good luck...Claire

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations!