Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White honed granite?

Posted by CRobM (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 14:29

I have been lurking this forum for a while as I plan our kitchen remodel. It has been very helpful and I appreciate the collective knowledge of this place.

I have been researching countertop materials and would like to get close to the look of Calcutta marble with better durability. Therefore, I have been thinking about a light granite or quartzite with a honed finish. I have been reading about some issues people have had with the darker granites (absolute black, etc), as well as soapstone showing water or grease marks. Many have talked about this in reference to the DARKER stone.

What I want to know is if anyone knows of any problems of staining with a lighter/white honed granite?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White honed granite?

We lived in an apartment with a light polished granite...tomato sauce stained it!

o

Really? Stained by tomato sauce. You sure it was not marble? Do you know what kind of granite it was or have any photos?
Thanks

o

I have been looking at white granites also. There was a piece of honed Kashmir White at the granite yard and the salesperson said that unless you were very diligent in sealing it, the granite would be particularly susceptible to staining because of it being honed.

o

We've had honed Moon Night Granite (others call it Super White Quartzite) for over a year now. We have never had a single stain...and are big red wine drinkers. aka - spills almost weekly and sometimes not found until the next morning. Tomato sauce - no stains either. It has etched from citrus juice (limes) but you can barely tell. That spot is just more matte looking since it's already has that kind of finish. I have never had a water stain that didn't come up with a soapy sponge or rag either. Here is our stone just after install so you can see how light it is.

From Moon Night Granite Install

Here is the etching:

From Beveled Arabesque Backsplash install

o

CRobM, it was about five years ago and I'd have to really go digging for photos. The fancy new apartment building advertised granite. It looked like granite. Maybe it just wasn't sealed properly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here