Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chandeliers...something other than a chain

Posted by ChantelN (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:27

I tried posting this in the lighting forum, but didn't get a response, so I would like to ask the kitchen forum....

I have open beam ceilings in my dining room and the chandelier uses an 8 foot chain. I am replacing my old chandelier with this oil rubbed bronze one and I am wondering if anyone has used or seen a better solution than the old chain. My current chain just collects dust and spiderwebs and is difficult to clean since the dust just drops onto the chandelier when I knock it off with a long handled duster. My MIL suggested a silk or polyester chain cover, but that is a bit too Victorian for my taste and I still think it may collect dust and cobwebs to the same degree as my chain, but maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Since the ceiling mount is angled, I thought about a modified downrod, like for a ceiling fan, but would like to know if anyone has had success with that or possibly has come up with something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chandeliers...something other than a chain

I like downrods on a hinge. They sell lots of downrods for fans...don't know why they couldn't be used for a chandelier?

o

It certainly seems to me that you can use a downrod from a fan or pendant. For a fixture like the example above, you likely would have to find a piece to screw onto the threaded end of the rod that can then attach to the loop on the fixture.
I did see some examples of chandeliers with rods instead of chains at Lighting Direct (on a quick search).

o

We had the same dilema and solved it with cloth-covered electrical cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundial

o

I was under the impression that downrods only worked with fans that were designed for them.

o

I have three examples of options other than chain right in my house.
Fixture over kitchen sink, sloped ceiling.

o

A rope covered cord...

o

A simple downtube...

o

I have a chandelier that has a rod like ctycdm shows in the first picture. It came with two 6" and two 12 inch stems (.5" diameter) that could be threaded together for the length needed. According to the manufacturer the pivoting piece at the ceiling allows for a 45 degree max stem tilt. Something like that should be able to work for your sloped ceiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here