Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small closet Pantry(not walk-in) shelf arrangement, Pictures

Posted by rtwilliams (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 14:26

I am getting close to finishing my basement bar/kitchenette space. I run a in-home daycare and need help with my small pantry closet shelf design. The closet is 23 deep X 43 wide interior with a 24 inch frosted glass door centered. I will be storing a swiffer, broom, food and craft items.

If anyone has pictures of reach in closet pantry or any guidelines for shelf spacing and depth that would be great to see. I have searched GW and read many of the pantry posts but very few with a space like mine.

Thanks - RT

photo photo34_zps9f92f488.jpg

photo photo13_zps12da8ec4.jpg

photo photo23_zps9e41f309.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small closet Pantry(not walk-in) shelf arrangement, Pictures

If not for the glass door, I would recommend hanging the broom and swiffer on the back of the door. As it is, you have the make sure your shelves are not full depth (at least not on both sides) to allow room for handles.

Rather than plan the space first, it might be better to flesh out exactly what will go in there. Plastic tubs are great for craft supplies and even food, but of course cereal boxes take up more space than cans of soup. That's why evaluating the usage comes first. I'm thinking about things like Legos, board games, jigsaw puzzles - because the shelves are wider than the door, you'll have to pull something out of the middle to remove things from the sides of a shelf.

In my new kitchen, I put extra shelves in several upper cabinets, to minimize stacking. I'm pleased with the result!

You have a beautiful space!

o
RE: Small closet Pantry(not walk-in) shelf arrangement, Pictures

I had a similar closet, narrower, believe it or not. I put a couple of 12" lower shelves and 8" shelves above on the back wall, and a wall-mounted wire basket unit on one side wall.

After evaluating the things you're going to store, consider shelves on two sides, and maybe a basket unit on the third side, brooms on the door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here