Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfielder54

Calling all soapstone owners in the Boston area

lfielder54
13 years ago

I know some of you out there had problems with your installation because Joshua traveled up to fix them. Would any of you in the Boston area be willing to share the names of your installers? Perhaps by sending me an email if you don't want to put their names on the site? I will be installing soapstone next spring on Martha's Vineyard, and have tried to get referrals for good installers. Since that effort has failed, how about some anti-referrals?

Comments (16)

• prill
    13 years ago

I got mine from Dorodo Soapstone in Shrewsbury - no problems here.

• amarantha
    13 years ago

I have contacted Green Mountain Soapstone in Vermont. They use Atlantic Soapstone Creations for fabrication - linked below. They have sent me a contract and I've spoken with Jason by phone and exchanged emails. He said he travels all over New England - and further.

Does anyone else have experience with them? I am hoping that it works out for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlantic Soapstone Creations

• growlery
    13 years ago

Interesting.

I also got my stone from Dorado, the stone supplier, which was having Green Mountain doing the installation at the time. Some of the people even had the same last names at the time -- can't remember what the name was now.

They did a nice job. I still think it's worth calling Dorado to see who's installing their stone, since that's what they sell.

• lfielder54
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eric from Dorado in Shrewsbury said that they are now using Green Stone Fabricators (all these names sound so alike but they're different companies). Green Stone is new to the Boston area, but has been in business for a long time in Denver area. The manager is flying back and forth, managing both sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Stone Fabricators

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

I had Interior Stone in Waltham install my soapstone. I would not recommend them. They have no idea how work with soapstone. Florida Joshua came up and had to refinish it - Now it is wonderful, but you really need an experienced person to install it.

My sister used Dorado in Shrewsbury and she was happy.

• lfielder54
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for responding! It seems to me that fabricators who do mostly or only soapstone are the ones to go with. Those who do a variety of different stones just don't understand soapstone.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

I used Weststone, out of Northampton, MA. He's not in your backyard, but he did a great job with my soapstone. He travels all over the country to install New England schist, which is extremely particular and requires an expert. Tom Holden is Weststone.

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I live west of Boston and my soapstone was supposed to be installed today, but the fabricator Dave who owns Central New England Soapstone, found that the slabs I got at Dorado were too thin in the middle. Thankfully, instead of just installing them, he pointed it out and told me he wouldn't use them. He is heading back to Dorado to return them and get more me slabs. So, even though my stone isn't installed yet, I would highly recommend them. He could have easily made his life easier and installed the thin ones. He did install my marble island though and it looks great! He uses a sealer that actually prevents etching! That is for another post though...

• kmb123
    13 years ago

Hi, I wholeheartedly recommend Dave Brushett and his company, Central New England Soapstone. He fixed our soapstone countertops after an inept fabricator (granite people) bungled it. Dave made the seams and dings invisible. He wrote and called right back, and is all-around a nice, good person who takes great pride in his work.

• sconde
    13 years ago

Hi, we just used Gary from Maine Soapstone. We are located in southeastern, Ma and he drove all the way from Maine to do our countertops. He is from Maine but does all kinds of jobs in the New England area. We ordered Amazon soapstone and it is beautiful and he was SOOOOO great and personable to work with. Really likes his job and had great experience. Let me know if you need contact info or you can go on mainesoapstone.com. I found out about him on gardenweb when I was researching soapstone dealers in Massachusetts. Glad we went with him and hope to post finished kitchen pics by Christmas! God know I didnt even know about soapstone before I came across this site but am IN LOVE with my counters and I do admit love to just touch them. Hope this helps>
    Stephanie

• katieob
    13 years ago

Hi.

We used Majestic in Canton MA to template, fabricate, & install. We got our slabs through them at Marble & Granite in Westwood, MA. We used soapstone on the perimeter & calacatta marble on the island. I enthusiastically recommend them. Jealous of your project on MV.....

img

img

Good luck.
    Katie

• lfielder54
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the information. Katie, your counters are gorgeous!

• margcooks
    13 years ago

Sandlll, I'm curious to find out what sealer your fabricator used that prevents etching, and if you can use it on honed marble.

• kittenkat_2002
    13 years ago

margcooks, I used the same fabricator as kmb123 and sandll. The sealer he used on the marble uses nano technology. No staining or etching after 3 months of use. My one beef with the fabrication of the soapstone is that the overhang isn't long enough. If there are crumbs, I can't put my hand under the counter to catch them and it looks a little funny too. Didn't know I needed to specify but apparently what they did is their standard.

I haven't had any problems with the stone, which came from Dorado and I do use a wax/mineral oil mixture from Williams Sonoma

• libby_david_gmail_com
    12 years ago

This is an old thread, but I realized that I have another question. Kittenkat, is your overhang 1" or 1 1/2"? I'm planning on 1", but I wonder if I'd be happier with 1 1/2".

As to fabricators, Dorado Soapstone is no longer using Green Stone Fabricators. I will be using Dave Bruschett from Central New England Soapstone. I've heard such great things about him, so I'm thrilled! I had thought that Martha's Vineyard would be too far for him to travel, but apparently it's not a problem.

• SandyPell
    12 years ago

We are in Southeastern Mass & used Dave Brushett from Central New England Soapstone. I can not say enough great things about them. He picked out the perfect slabs (and even found a unique one for the backsplash behind the stove!) They were neat - worked with my builder to do the sink/counters. I absolutely LOVE the soapstone and would highly recommend them

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting