Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meslgh

Durability of solid surface countertops?

meslgh
9 years ago

We have some older solid surface countertops with cracks, and we're contemplating replacing them. We would be willing to consider solid surface again, but I'd like to know what their lifespan is.

[Long story alert]

I'm not sure how old our solid surface countertops are, but they were in the house when we moved in 13 years ago. I like the softer/warmer/more matte quality to them compared to granite. We do have some chips, but nothing major/particularly noticeable. We have not had any issues with stains. We first noticed cracks on our island, radiating from our cooktop. We attributed it to my husband DIY-ing a larger opening in the counter for a new cooktop (replaced an awful smooth surface 4 burner electric cooktop with a 5 burner gas Thermador cooktop back in 2002 or so). A few years ago, we had somebody come out and patch the cracks, and he told us that the cracks were from the heat. It looked great right after being patched, but around a year or so later now, we have new cracks and maybe an extension of a patched crack (it doesn't start at the cooktop, but starts in the middle of the counter, about where one big crack previously ended). We do also have a crack at the perimeter counter starting at an inside corner.

[Long story finished]

So, if we went with solid surface again, would we be likely to end up with cracks again, eventually? And would eventually be about a decade? Is it reasonable to just keep patching?

Comments (11)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Which type of solid surface do you have? Corian/other acrylic type? Man-made "quartz"?

• meslgh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure which solid surface (since we didn't install it), but of the Corian type, not engineered quartz.

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

The house I recently moved from had Corian. I lived there for 20 years and it was there when we moved in. I have no idea how long it had been there because it looked exactly the same the day we moved out as it did the day we moved in. There was not a mark on it, No seams. no cracks, and impervious to damage. We actually designed our kitchen remodel around keeping the counters. I would love to have it again.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Cracks in solid surface cooktop cutouts are almost always fabricator error. I've put in hundreds with one callback that was ruled customer abuse by DuPont, Corian's manufacturer. They ate it anyway.

• meslgh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vasue, Debbie, your experiences are very reassuring (humph, doesn't look right no matter how I spell it) as we think about using solid surface again.

Trebuchet, I was hoping that you'd show up! Well, no question that DH could have caused the problem with cracks at the cooktop. We do have a crack also at a corner in our U shaped perimeter; is that also likely to be a fabricator error (not DH at that location)? Patches look great cosmetically, but are they ok functionally? Or should we be planning to replace our counters?

• Fori
    9 years ago

I had Corian in a previous kitchen. It was from the 80s. Absolutely durable, and I treated it very badly because I intended to replace it sooner than I did (only because of the color and layout).

I am very tempted to use it again, but they don't have the perfect sink so I probably won't. (The integrated sink was so very very very awesomely great.)

But now you have me thinking about it again...just not in pink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

fori:

I suggest you take a look at the Karran Edge series sinks. You can have stainless steel with all the advantages of a seamed undermount Corian sink. I've put in several and own one; they are great:

Here is a link that might be useful: Edge Sinks

• meslgh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Trebuchet (or any other fabricators out there)

I hope I'm not being a pest, but I do have a couple more questions for you. Do you think that any cracks at an inner corner are likely a fabrication/installation issue, or to be expected after 15 or so years with solid surface? Also, the counters looked great for about a year after patching; is it reasonable to just continue patching, or should we replace them?

• Fori
    9 years ago

Thanks Treb--I gotta admit, though, I really liked the Corian material for a sink. It's the main appeal of Corian to me! (Also had a recessed faucet deck which is so very sensible.)

Meslgh, I've spent too much time reading about kitchens (and remodeled too many) and I've never seen a complaint like yours. There are all sorts of complaints out there, of course. Mine was probably 30 years old when demoed and had cutouts and inside corners and people standing on it to change lightbulbs. It was as good as new.

Hope you can get some good news from the fabricators working with the current stuff!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I hope I'm not being a pest, but I do have a couple more questions for you."

mesigh:

You are not being a pest. Fire away.

"Do you think that any cracks at an inner corner are likely a fabrication/installation issue, or to be expected after 15 or so years with solid surface?"

Solid surface tops have very specific cooktop cutout reinforcements and configurations. These are usually compromised when a larger cooktop cutout is made. All tool marks must be removed, all edges must have a 1/16" radius and heat conductive tape must be properly installed. Most handymen and DIYers don't know what they don't know.

"Also, the counters looked great for about a year after patching; is it reasonable to just continue patching, or should we replace them?"

It's a safe bet that proper repairs will be much more cost effective than new tops, depending on the size of your kitchen. Although I never guarantee repairs, I almost never get callbacks on the ones I do.