Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peridot44

How do you store your dog food in the kitchen?

peridot44
11 years ago

How do you store your dog food in the kitchen?

Is it in a trash pull-out? In a broom closet? In the pantry? Do you have it out in the open in some sort of decorative container?

For those of you who have it in a trash cabinet, does it share a cabinet with your trash?

Would love to see photos. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• annac54
    11 years ago

I keep ours in 4 large LockNLock containers stacked on a shelf in a tall cabinet. I can't have it in an unsealed container, or we will be invaded by ants. The containers are easy for me to manage as I have a back problem, and I know when I start using the last one that it's time to buy more.

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

We store ours in a bin in the corner peninsula cabinet, since that's the corner of the kitchen where we feed the dog.

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Small dog. I store it in a decorative container on the counter. I keep full bags in the freezer.

• taggie
    11 years ago

We had stainless steel insert made for one of our deep drawers. Holds the contents of the large size (40lb I think) bag of dog food.

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

Taggie - all I can think about is how badly the dog(s) must be dying to figure out how to open that drawer!

We just keep our dog food in the pantry in a sealed container. She's only 20 lbs though, so I just buy 8lb bags.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

what I think of with taggie's drawer is - ants don't need to be able to open the drawer! I'd have ants everywhere.

I keep mine in a 40lb bin (for dog food) in the laundry/utility room just outside of the kitchen.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Lol, desertsteph, it's nice to know there are at least some advantages -- no matter how meager -- to living in inland Canadian climes. But I'm sure I'ld gladly trade you for the ants once I'm putting winter tires on the car and shoveling a foot of snow from the drive.

Mrsjoe, he is a very good boy and wouldn't dare go help himself without permission .... but he certainly knows where it is and sometimes sits there with a hopefully look (you know that looks puppies all teach themselves to perfect when we're at our most vulnerable with them) :)

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

In the pantry in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal Lid. And the new puppy has been known to sniff under the pantry door.

• senator13
    11 years ago

We keep ours in an old sheetrock container with the lid in our pantry. I know, fancy!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Don't have a picture yet, but our large plastic bin (with flip top) will go on a blum rollout tray behind a cabinet door. His bowls will be under a kitchen "desk" area which we don't intend to use as a desk.

Great question. Houzz has had some interesting ways to incorporate the dog into kitchen designs.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We keep our cats' dry food in a plastic pet food container stored on a pull-out in one of our pantry cabs (next to their feeding area, which is under the msg ctr in our kitchen). The pull-out also holds their cans of wet food, their food dishes, extra water dish, etc.

• Buehl
    11 years ago

In our "Pet Center". It's a corner cabinet turned 90-degrees that faces the foyer where we feed our dogs. It's the only cabinet that has two roll out tray shelves (ROTS). I meant to order it as a trash pullout type cabinet with the door attached to the bottom ROTS and an independent top ROTS, but I forgot to tell my KD about it until it was too late (I was so focused on the inside of the kitchen!)

I put the bottom ROTS as low as I could. On that shelf is the dog food (for 3 standard poodles) in a 6-gallon Popcorn Factory can with a tight fitting lid; treats are in a 2-gallon Popcorn Factory can.

I put the top ROTS as high as possible and store pet meds, leashes, collars, etc.

The top drawer holds batteries and flashlights and similar items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Tks buehl - OT ? - Pet Center

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

We keep it in a lock-n-lock container on the counter, and store extra in 1 gallon ziplock bags in the freezer. He's only 35 pounds, so a 30 pound bag of food lasts awhile (but its cheaper in the large bags, if you can call Fromm cheap).

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

The big 40 lb bags of cat and dog food stay in the basement up on a table. For the dog, as needed, we put some in a tupperware container that in the old kitchen sat on the counter for lack of anywhere else to put it. In the new kitchen the container will go on a shelf in the pantry.

The cats food goes into a container with a screw top lid and sits out right next to her bowl.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH