Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bouchigo

Is it possible to have only 1 seam in Granite/ Quarts install?

bouchigo
9 years ago

I want to have a granite or quartz counter top installed in my kitchen, but the fabricator claims it's not possible to get only one seam without giving any explanation, he just claims it's not possible.

I want only one seam running down the middle of the sink to make the installation/results look less noticeable, rather than having two seams, and relying on the installer doing a good job of hiding the seams.

I've attached a hand drawn image for visual reference, to make things easier to understand.

The concern here is the larger shaped "L" on the left side of the drawing. Is it really not possible to cut a piece of granite or quartz with those dimensions?

Thanks for your time.

Comments (12)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

You would need two slabs of quartz (maybe you need that either way), but in any event, you couldn't do what you propose on the left side from one slab (no seams) because quartz doesn't come in that dimension - its generally 120 in. x 56 in. (maybe 55") and I guess you have to allow for a little waste. Maybe if you make the right side 53" and the left side 55" you could do it.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You would need 2 Jumbo slabs of a quartz that offers jumbo slabs, and the color would need no movement to it. And be willing to pay extra. And have really really clear access to get it into and through your house. That's not going around any corners or through a muddy yard.Even then, if I were a fabricator, I wouldn't risk flipping that from vertical to horizontal. It has a high probability of breakage at that point, and that has a high risk of hurting someone pretty badly.

Honestly, the conniptions that people go through to avoid seams are unnecessary. You need to go through those conniptions on the front end finding a good fabricator, and then turn them loose to do a high quality job. And be willing to pay for it.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I have two seams in the quartz in my U-shaped kitchen, and you have to look pretty hard to find them.

The installer could have given you an explanation - but I think Greendesigns nailed it.

• bouchigo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First of all, thanks to all of you for the replies.

Secondly, the slabs are 129"x73", so the size is not a problem.

I guess the part that bothered me the most was the fact that no explanation was given as to why that task, though not impossible (even though it was claimed to be impossible), would be difficult to achieve. If I would have known this information, I most likely would not have posted here about it.

The path to get the cut slabs to the kitchen is not a concern, as it would pretty much be a straight shot to get it in there going through the back yard, and in through the sliding door adjacent to the kitchen area.

The part that would be most troubling is flipping it from vertical to horizontal, and possibly damaging the material, or hurting someone. It is 3cm material, and I'm wondering if it's more prone to breaking since it would be heavier than 2cm material, or would it be sturdier since it's thicker?

Now I have to decide if I want to have another fabricator attempt the task, and pay the extra money, or just go with two seams and be done with it.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Given a density of quartz (from the Caesarstone technical data sheet) of 2.2 grams/cubic cm, your smaller piece would weigh 188 pounds; the larger piece 354 pounds.

Your larger piece is almost 5 feet tall and 8 feet long. Imagine maneuvering that shape through a doorway. Will you allow them to drive their truck into the back yard, or will they have to carry the slabs form the driveway? Are there any steps involved?

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

If it's not 100% paved access into the space, then no one will risk that in a single piece. Soil is just too unsure under foot with that much weight, plus many guys try to use a non pneumatic wheeled cart to get it as far as they can before they have to get the linebackers involved. The extra manpower is part of the expense of doing it in one piece.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Our L piece was almost as large - 96" for one leg and 44" for the other leg with the last 16" of the 44" leg having part of the sink cut out. Our fabricator never mentioned any concern in making the piece that size (but perhaps 13 more inches would have been an issue).

The path to get it in was up the side yard, turn the corner into the back yard (a right angle turn but with fairly good clearances for maneuvering the piece) and turning in through the sliding door. They did have to get it past (or over) the island and settled in between the fridge at one end of the long leg and the wall.

The outside path was paved with one step - but my DH made a sturdy wood ramp so things for the kitchen could be rolled up the step.

Ours was 2 cm so it would have weighed less than your L pieces, but our island is a bit over 8' by 5' so that piece would have weight more than either of your L pieces. IIRC they had 4 guys to place the island top.

My understanding is that one concern with an L like ours is that the ends going around the sink cut out aren't as strong and can get broken off while moving the piece. Some fabricators don't like to take that risk.

Our stone was quartzite and pretty strong and solid. Some stones are more fragile and would have more of a risk of breaking in transport.

• brightm
    9 years ago

We had 2cm granite that was an L with a 120"-ish leg and a 51" leg. The sink cut out started about 40" from the corner. The plan at templating was one piece. They brought it in one piece. Then they get a bit scared about bringing it in in one piece. They talked to me about pros and cons. I ultimately left it up to them. They got it in in one piece, no problem.

It had sort of a U shaped path from where they had it on the front lawn doing final stuff, into the gate to the breezeway and the door to the kitchen. Not a long way at all, but a bit awkward.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

You aren't asking for anything unusual; find the right fabricator.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My island piece is very large (3-1/2' x 10') although rectangular. I live on the second floor of an industrial-conversion apartment building, so the piece had to be carried up the stairs with a full turn in the stairs (they actually had to lift it OVER the railing), out the door to the hallway, turn right, into the apartment, turn left, up 4 steps, turn right. It took 8 guys, but that was factored in when they quoted me a price at the outset. Done, no problem (although I wasn't there - maybe they were cursing at me the whole time LOL)

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Just went to see my son's granite that was installed today. I was amazed they were doing his large peninsula to the sink all in one piece. His main L piece was 9 ft by either 5 or 5.5 ft to the sink & 3 feet wide over the peninsula. They carried in thru the garage & into the hallway to the kitchen & did an amazing job. I would have thought it would have been too heavy or large, but they did it.

• bouchigo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess as Trebruchet mentioned, it's all about finding the right fabricator/installer. I've got some decision making tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

This post was edited by bouchigo on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 16:32