Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bh401_gw

Check out my Sandstone Kitchen and Bath counters

bh401
12 years ago

Ok guys, you were a lot of help on this build and I know it's been a while since I asked for help. We didn't get to move in until the end of June(was supposed to be the end of February). I'm still not done decorating but I think the kitchen is presentable enough.

Oh, please ignore the date stamp. I took these this morning but my camera had died and I didn't fix the date.

Normally it's brighter but of course the day I have time to take pics is the day that it turns off cold and rainy!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The bar slabs actually up on a matched up when the slabs were first chosen. We spent over 3 hours with templates matching up the waving lines.(So I wouldn't have weird seams) Of the 3 on that section around sink, only the end one was cut correctly. Some of you my remember my rant earlier this year! So, I had to chose 2 more slabs for sink piece and to the right of sink. The piece that was cut correctly was my favorite piece and I still wanted it, even though now I have a strange seam.

Hope I'm not wearing you out with pics. Here's a couple of the master bath that also has sandstone.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here's a shot showing more of the bathroom and peek of the closet. BTW, I LOVE my Elfa!! And yes, I have a chandy in the closet and over the tub!! Hubby asked "why, nobody with see them?" Answer-I WILL!! THEY ARE FOR ME!!!

{{!gwi}}

Thanks again to all of you who gave me advice on my kitchen. I absolutely love it!! And a special thanks to Boxerpups for the helpful pics and the pep talk to do what I wanted even when most every one poo-pooed it!

Comments (25)

• momo7
    12 years ago

Good heavens that is pretty stone. Where are you? I saw sandstone on N & G Soapstone's website but their pictures don't do it justice. But it is just gorgeous. Btw your kitchen is beautiful too and your bathroom - wow! What is this Elfa you speak of with love?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I was wondering how your kitchen turned out! Bath, too actually as we were searching for plumbing fixtures at the same time. How do you like them? (I'm doing a tub chandy too!). Do you have a pic of your tub?

You did a great job. I adore your yellow KA! I'm happy that you like your stone. Thanks for coming back to show us!

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in NE Arkansas. The Sandstone is called Ozark Mountain Gold and comes from a local quarry. There are issues with it. It will stain very easily so spills must be cleaned quickly. It is high maintenace but I fell in love with it. We've been here 3 months and no issues yet(I have 2 messy teenagers+many "extra" teens on weekends) but I seal it monthly which is a huge pain and I can't use the counter for about 12 hours afterward. But maybe I won't have to seal as often since I've found a great sealer for it this last time.

The Elfa is a closet system sold at the Container Store. It's completely interchangable. In fact, I've already moved some components since moving in.

Here's a couple shots of the closet:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfa closets

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Breezy!! I love my faucets! And I'm so glad I opted for a 5' tub instead of 6'. The shower is huge and gets used way more than the tub. Here a a couple shots of the tub. My only hang up is that I wanted the chandy to hang lower but that's as low as the cable will allow.
    {{!gwi}}

sorry, it's hard to get a full shot of the tub and the chandy

{{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint... your counters are absolutely breathtaking!

• bahacca
    12 years ago

Those are really gorgeous counters you have there! I'm loving the bathtub as well.

• chiefy
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!
    I'm contemplating a corner sink, so glad to see someone who recently did it. How big is your sink base and how big is your sink? Is your DW directly next to the sink base and if so, is it a pain to load?

Thanks!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen and bath and am totally jealous of your well organized closet!
    Those counters are stunning and special ;) I could be hypnotized by staring at them too much, lol....

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

OMG, those are gorgeous counters! The pattern is so fluid, they look like they are in motion.

I love my Elfa, too. Got it in all the bedroom closets and the pantry. So versatile and easy to use.

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chiefy-my sink is 36" and the base is 38". Yes, the dish washer is on the right. On the left is the pull out trash. I don't have any issues with the dishwasher being right there. I do keep the detergent in the left side of the base so that the right door doesn't hit the dishwasher as you can't open it 90 degrees with the dishwasher open. I'm still very happy with the layout.

Thanks for all the oohs and ahhhs!!

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Sandstone? How are you sealing it? My SO wants sandstone counters and I'm fighting it because it's rough and stains easily.

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The latest thing I've used is Dupont color enhancing sealer. Seems to do a much better job and really makes the colors pop. Before that I used something by Stonetech-hated it. It left them looking dull and lifeless. Since putting the Dupont on, I haven't even had any water rings from glasses.

• plumberry
    12 years ago

what brand/model faucets are those (bath sink)? thanks

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The latest thing I've used is Dupont color enhancing sealer. Seems to do a much better job and really makes the colors pop. Before that I used something by Stonetech-hated it. It left them looking dull and lifeless. Since putting the Dupont on, I haven't even had any water rings from glasses.

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plumberry-The bath faucets are Delta Vero

• gus5
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS counters! I'm about to decide the size of my tub (new construction). How did you decide on 5ft. v. 6ft?

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm only 5'3" and 6' hubby doesn't use the tub. The plan called for a 6' tub but we would rather have the extra foot in the shower and have a seat aka foot rest when shaving:). The shower is used everyday, the tub maybe 5 times a month. Sometimes when in the tub I think a 6' would have been awesome but not really needed. For us it was an easy choice but someone taller or that takes a bath instead of a shower everyday would probably prefer a 6' tub.

• dee850
    12 years ago

Wow, those sandstone counters are just phenomenal.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

ahhh....those counter tops take me back to the beaches of Florida! what a great thing to walk out and see every morning. enjoy!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting more pics of the tub. Looking at your Vero, I'm kinda wishing I had chosen them. My Grohe Allure better look as good when they're in!

You must be so excited to be done!

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I am one that usually does not like wavy or busy countertops (so I don't like most granite), but I absolutely LOVE the sandstone countertops! I have never heard of it. But if you're saying that they are high maintenance, I can't even consider them. :( However, I absolutely love the look of them!

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy- I really hope your happy with your Allure faucets. How much longer until your done?

Chocolatebunny-love the name. Actually, since using this new sealer, I found dried spaghetti sauce (thanks to my son) and it came right off with out a problem. No stain what so ever. No grease stains on the island even after frying chicken(I'm a messy cook) To me, they are still worth any extra work. But, I clean up like I used to in the old house. Not really any more work than the sealing. With teenagers there is an endless supply of dirty dishes and messy counters.

• doonie
    12 years ago

Lovely counter tops! That stone has such a beautiful flow to it. Congratulations on your new spaces!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I am so jealous(but happy for you) that you have a big enough closet to show off that beautiful tile in the running bond and youb have a window in the closet with great organization! Love the bigger shower stool. I have a Jacuzzi in my bathroom that I hardly use and wish it was smaller with my shower stool bigger since it is tight just for petite me so I can only imagine how tight that shower glass stool would be if I met someone. Also I love your unique faucets!

Congratulations on your new space!

• bh401
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynn-I so love my bathroom and closet. To top it off it all has heated floors. My thoughts were-get out of hot shower on warm tile, who wants to walk on cold tile to get dressed?? Not ME!! My builder questioned me. I've had it on for about a week now that it got cold. Yes, I thought correctly!!
    As for no carpet in closet:
    For those of you who don't remember...I don't have a any carpet in this house. The whole downstairs is tile and the whole upstairs in wood except tile in baths. Sure I have area rugs but not wall to wall carpet.(Lesson learned- we put white carpet in the house we built 10 years ago-I learned very quickly to HATE carpet!!) 2 now teenagers, 2 dogs and 1 cat.