Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My small kitchen reveal

Posted by annkh (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:09

Hi everyone! I recently completed a gut of my 1989 builder-grade kitchen. We kept essentially the same footprint, but with custom cabinets and a few small changes, we were able to gain significant storage space, and dramatically improve the function of the kitchen. We've been using it now for almost 2 months, and there's nothing I would change.

The details:
Cabinets: oak, built by Radi�s Custom Woodworks; Blumotion softclose hinges and drawer glides; uppers to 8�
Countertop: Cambria Somerset
Pulls: Bayport, South Bay, 5", satin nickel
Sink: MR Direct stainless 503L, 16 gauge
Faucet: Grohe Eurostyle with side spray, satin nickel
Fridge: LG LFC25776ST
DW: Whirlpool gold (re-use)
Range: GE 90313 with convection
Hood: Zephyr Breeze II AK1200
Disposal: InSinkErator Evolution
Undercab lights: LED strips, no dimmer
Paint: BM Putnam Ivory; ceiling BM Elephant Tusk
Stencils: Cutting Edge Stencils
Features:
Pantry cabinets with built-in file drawers, charging station. Half 12" deep; half 20" deep
Full-depth pull-outs over fridge
Trash/recycling pullout
Super susan
Easy-reach upper cabinets
Built-in spice rack on the back of a cabinet door
Tray storage
Closed off corner with drawers on both sides
Built-in cutting board
Wusthoff knife drawer insert
Lee Valley drawer organizers
Extra shelves in some cabinets
Powered phone jack (direct power for cordless phone/answering machine)
Folding step stool

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My small kitchen reveal

Before photos:
Before photo IMG_2212_zps45fa885f.jpg

I hated junk thrown up on top of the cabinets and fridge, but I didn't have any other space. One of my remodel goals was to eliminate the clutter on the cabinets, counters and floors (doesn't everyone have beer and pop piled up next to the fridge?)
Before photo IMG_2210_zpsf68eb872.jpg

This was my "command center" - I never sat at the desk, because it is too small, and the table is a few feet away. The desk itself is ash, and belonged to my grandpa. I've moved it to the living room. This little nook stumped me for a long time - I couldn't figure out how to best make use of it. You might be able to see my purse, tucked under the desk.
Desk before photo kitchen1_zpsa1000cc0.jpg

My only drawer stack - 12" wide. There's a lazy susan to the right, so when the DW was open, there was only a foot on the right (next to the sink), and the dishes were kept in the cabinets above - very inconvenient to unload.
My only drawer stack - before photo IMG_2220_zps8c890731.jpg

Sink side. The kitchen is 10' wide, and with a 36" lazy susan in each corner, there was room for a 48" sink base. And for me, the diagonal uppers were black holes - I could neither see nor reach what was inside. The LS on this side held plastic containers.

The 12" uppers on each side of the sink were tightly packed - cups and glasses on one side, canned goods on the other. Never enough room. And the prep space between sink and stove was tiny. This lazy susan routinely slipped on its pole, requiring that I empty it and adjust it every few months.
Lazy (broken) Susan, next to range photo kitchen6_zps34aa63e4.jpg

A little more space here, but too little, too late. One of these drawers was silverware, the other utensils.
The rest of my drawers photo IMG_2219_zps96df1b85.jpg

The base cabinet next to the range had just a half shelf, making it very difficult to organize. Part of me wishes I had taken more interior "before" pics; part of me is embarrassed that I lived this way for so long.
Base - right of stove, before photo f3238272_zps54141595.jpg

The cabinet above it wasn't much better - things got shoe-horned in, for lack of any better place to put them.
Right of the stove - before photo f3243840_zps0321372c.jpg

o

And now, after.

The turning point in my design was figuring out what to do in the little nook where Grandpa's desk was. Eventually I hit on the idea of building in a wall of cabinets. But more importantly, I moved the fridge 8" to the left. The tall cabinets are 12" deep on the right side, and 20" deep on the left.
Pantry wall view photo IMG_0929_zps82e0bf9e.jpg

Finished! photo IMG_0946_zps61dc87e0.jpg

The other minor change we made was to move the range a foot to the right, vastly improving the prep space between sink and stove. The cabinet run on this wall was also increased 8", like the fridge side - going as close as we could get to the patio door.
View from dining room photo IMG_0928_zps90ae32a9.jpg

I love my new undermount sink! The sink base is 30", giving me a lot more space on each side.
Love the new sink! photo IMG_0948_zps99a7eabf.jpg

To the left of the sink, I had just enough room for a tray/cutting board cabinet.
Cookie sheets, cutting boards - left of sink photo IMG_0827_zpsc572ea59.jpg

To the right of the sink, I now have room for a 21" drawer stack. After a LOT of calculating, planning, and soul-searching, I chose to close off the corner. I gained so much useable storage space in the new kitchen that I didn't feel like I needed corner space for seldom-used items - it was far more important to me to make efficient use of the space I had, so I put drawers on each side of the corner. The cutting board is DH's favorite thing in the new kitchen (and he does almost all of the cooking in our family).
Built-in cutting board photo IMG_0938_zps86b48095.jpg

The top drawer to the left of the range is utensils - I used Lee Valley brackets to make the dividers:
Utensil drawer - left of stove photo IMG_0851_zps1f4086f2.jpg

Next down is the plastic container drawer - I was worried that this would quickly become a jumble, but after 2 months of use, we've managed to keep it organized. The trick is lots of same-sized containers.
Below utensil drawer - left of stove photo IMG_0836_zpsdfefe5a9.jpg

The bottom drawer is one of my favorites! I measured all the containers, and specified the height of the drawer.
Dry food storage - left of stove photo IMG_0828_zps25af4bc2.jpg

To the right of the stove - potholders and tool/junk drawer:
 photo IMG_0951_zps4cb5677e.jpg

The cast iron frying pans used to live in the oven - now they have their own drawer!
 photo IMG_0950_zpsbfc6f545.jpg

This drawer is the same height as the canister drawer on the other side of the range - again, I measured my cake pans, and specified the drawer height accordingly.
Cake pans, after (right of stove) photo IMG_0859_zps3ecec956.jpg

My favorite part of the kitchen is the trash/recycle pullout. We are lazy people, and would pile up cans, bottles, and cardboard on the counter until someone got tired of it can hauled it out to the garage. Now it all goes in the recycle bin, and carried out when it's full. No more cans on the counter!

I moved the DW next to the fridge. I know lots of people here would cringe at the DW so far from the sink, but this location works really well for us. There is plenty of room to stand between sink and DW, both for loading and unloading (especially for unloading). We don't pre-wash our dishes, so there isn't a lot of dripping in between.
Trash pullout photo IMG_0932_zpsbf9cac6c.jpg

o

Silverware is above the trash - very convenient to the DW. It used to be on the opposite side - next to the range. My kids gave me no end of crap for moving their spoons, and messing with their breakfast routine, but even they admit it works out better this way. More Lee Valley dividers.
silverware drawer photo IMG_0823_zps5c9d4c61.jpg

Super susan. First of all, I did NOT want a LS with a pole! I measured the items I wanted on the bottom turntable, which determined the shelf height.
Super susan - no pole photo IMG_0826_zpsd56e6b4d.jpg

I specifically wanted a diagonal corner so I could add yet another drawer - after having so few before, I couldn't have too many this time around. I put a knife insert in the drawer, which has turned out to be DH's other favorite feature.
 photo IMG_0949_zps0111d166.jpg

I ended up having to wait a couple of weeks for cabinet installation, and had too much time on my hands - so I painted a backsplash.
Stencil photo IMG_0919_zpsc012fefb.jpg

Built-in spice rack -this is to the left of the range.
Built-in spice rack photo IMG_0937_zps27ff0b95.jpg

Upper cabinets on each side of the sink are 15" wide, instead of the old 12". Big difference! I also ordered extra shelves for these cabs, so I could put in more stuff without stacking.
 photo IMG_0935_zps984a6df4.jpg
left of sink photo IMG_0846_zpsabe9a523.jpg

And I replaced the diagonal uppers with Easy-reach corners, which I love.
Easy-reach #2 photo IMG_0934_zps22651d3a.jpg

With room for my stock pot above the range, I didn't need to access that dead corner.
above range photo IMG_0855_zpsd53a92a8.jpg

Remember the "before" pic of my upper cabinet next to the range? Here's what it looks like now, after I found logical homes for everything else:
Right of stove - after photo IMG_0856_zpsd78b6ccd.jpg

When I came up with the idea of pull-outs over the fridge, I thought I'd come up with something new. No, my cabinet-maker had built them before. They are perfect for bulk cereal, napkins, paper towels, etc.
Pull-outs above the fridge photo IMG_0940_zps88115e96.jpg

Now for the floor-to-ceiling wall of cabinets. The left side is 20" deep - plenty for roasters and large mixing bowls. This is another place I asked for an extra shelf.
 photo IMG_0952_zpsbf5ab9b0.jpg

Below that is my new command center (still in progress). There are two outlets on the left wall, so I no longer have to charge things on the countertop. The white board is magnetic.
Command center photo IMG_0930_zps0900c2fa.jpg

The drawers replace desk drawers - pens, scissors, phone books, batteries, checkbook, etc.
Pantry wall photo IMG_0931_zps052b98ff.jpg

My other, other favorite thing - built-in file drawers.
file drawers photo IMG_0780_zpsb620a90a.jpg

And I have a dedicated cabinet for beer and pop! No more piling it up next to the fridge! I specified the height of the shelf, so the beer bottles would fit.
left pantry - lowers photo IMG_0842_zps941accc5.jpg

On the right side of the cabinet wall, the 12" depth is perfect for cookbooks. And I used to dream of having a whole shelf dedicated to water bottles (instead of tossing them on top of the cabinets). Now I have it!
Right pantry - uppers photo IMG_0840_zpsa9ee3983.jpg

Finally (yes, finally) - I needed a place to stash my purse, and the canvas bag I carry to work every day. The purse used to live under the desk; the bag sat on a dining room chair. Now they have a home of their own.
right pantry - lowers photo IMG_0841_zpsdcbf9cdc.jpg

o

Wow! You did huge planning and such detail in your design. Impressed!

o

Impressive. I especially like the clever storage wall and the over the frige storage.

o

The back splash is very nice. Did you make your own stencil?

o

Thanks - it came from Cutting Edge Stencils. I had never stenciled before, so I practiced on the wall behind the storage wall, then practiced some more behind the fridge (with a small ranch peeking out from the fridge surround). After that I felt confident to work behind the range. It was all done before the cabinets went in, so I taped blue tape to the walls, showing where the counter and cabinets would go. My biggest challenge was to not get carried away, scattering too many falling leaves around the rest of the kitchen.

I'm very pleased with the way it came out. I've had several people IRL describe it as "subtle", which is exactly what I was going for.

o

ankh, I am the same rangehood and I love it so much! It is quiet, takes odors out even in the recirculating mode, I can reach the buttons underneath, had great light, and is pretty and matches my GE Café Range.

Your new improved kitchen has amazing storage, wonderful mostly new appliances, and looks so nice. Amazing you were able to do everything within a budget. Thank you so much for sharing.

o

what a great kitchen! how tall are your uppers? they look like a great size.

o

Since this was brought to the top, I decided to look at the pictures again, and got some great ideas, like moving my stockpot out of the regular pots & pans drawer, since it is only used occasionally.

annkh, in the picture of the "tools" drawer, you have a plastic box that has dividers in it. Do you know where you got that?

The other idea was to move some of my bowls and casseroles out of the drawers (despite how much I love my drawers) into otherwise-empty upper cabinets, at least those that are used less frequently.

Really nice use of space!

o

Thanks! After using it now for 4 months, we love it more than ever.

The uppers are 42", more or less - they were custom, so built to fit. The ceiling is 8' on the sink side, and vaulted toward the dining room.

DH's favorite parts are the knife drawer and the cutting board - his only complaint is that there isn't another cutting board on the fridge side, for chopping veggies for salads. He does most of the cooking.

My favorite part is whatever I'm using at the moment - the cake pan drawers, the fridge, the sink and faucet, the file drawers, the knife drawer, the storage when I'm putting away a big load of groceries. The novelty has definitely not worn off yet.

o

Hi,
Your before kitchen and after kitchen reminds me so much of mine. I too have a very small kitchen (mine is even smaller than yours). I had the exact kiddie corner (black holes) spaces that were useless. Fortunately, we had room to add a good size pantry, which really helped me with space and the cabinet maker was able to create cabinets that I could use where the corners met. I love my kitchen now. It just feels so functional. We were on a budget so we didn't have the luxury of knocking down walls or moving appliances, which is something that I really wanted to do since my stove and refrigerator sit right next to each other. Other than this issue, I love my new kitchen.

o

Love all your clever storage! I really like the upper pull-out in particular. You really made the most out of the space and made it work. You even have empty areas ;)

So I have a question about the easy-reach vs. the angled corner cabinet. I really like my angled ones as it holds so much compared to any other cabinets that were put in my kitchen. I can easily reach items on the bottom and next shelf up (but stuff in the back on the second shelf are things with handles to make it easier to grab). Is there a loss in storage in the easy-reach and how far can you reach in the corner?

o

The square footage of shelf space is greater with the angled corner. But for me, at least, the usable space is much, much greater with the easy-reach.

First of all, I can see what's in there. Then, I can reach what I can see! With the angled cab, I could reach what was in the front, but had to move stuff to get to the back (or it just got lost).

I'm short, so I could reach the second shelf - in the front. Anything further back required me to climb on a chair, or climb up on and counter. Now, I can reach everything on the two lowest shelves, and get to everything else with a stool.

When I tore out my old cabinets, those angled cabs either had empty space, or held stuff I didn't remember I had - even though I did clean them out (and try to organize better) every couple of years.

I probably could have made better us of the space in those cabs if I had put something else in them. The fact that you like them is just a perfect example of how there is no one solution for everyone.

o

Great job - I am envious!

o

ankh - thank you for the info. I'm not sure if I really like them over something else though. I'm afraid the reason I may like them is because I have so few cabinets that are of a good size to store anything in them that I may be blinded because of that.

I do know one of them is encroaching on my prep space as mine is similar to yours between the sink and stove. A bit more than your original and less than your new.

o

One of the biggest contributions DH made to our kitchen design was to move the stove over a foot to the right (away from the sink corner). What a difference!

o

One of the most enjoyable reveals ever, for me; I'm a storage geek.

Maybe for your DH's salad-making, a cutting board stores on the inside of one of the cabinet doors on that fridge-sink stretch?

Going back to admire those file drawers... Mmmmmmmm.

o

Love your kitchen Wish I had thought of pull out shelf over my refrigerator.

o

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments!

Ellabee, there are cutting boards in the narrow cabinet next to the sink, and he does use them, but it's an extra step. It's not a source of huge disappointment - it's the only think he could come up with when asked "Is there anything that could have made the new kitchen better?"

Teeboo, I thought I'd come up with something unique when I talked to my cabinet maker about pull-outs over the fridge, but his response was "Oh, sure, I've done that!" I was slightly disappointed that I hadn't invented it, but thrilled that he knew what I meant - and how to do it. He's been doing this for 25 years - there's not much he hasn't done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here