Renovated oak kitchen

nosoccermom
10 years ago

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: renovated oak kitchen

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's no longer oak, and it lost what little vintage charm had survived.

It's just another white kitchen now.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I love white cabinets/dark counters, but in this case I'd have kept the original cabinets and trim in the natural finish. I'm a fan of old oak cabinets, though--hoosiers, step-backs, flatwalls, etc.--love 'em all. Also, prefer the frosted glass over the too-modern mirrored replacements. I might have put in painted base cabinets, but would probably have looked around for a vintage oak base that I could rework for plumbing.

Something about the sink bothers me--I think it sits too high, making it too prominent. The crumb-sweep maneuver is one of the best features of a farm sink, IMO.

The above items are just my preferences. Over all, the kitchen really is lovely. The light is wonderful, the layout looks very functional for a kitchen that size, and the built-in still retains a certain vintage charm. I'd love to have my morning coffee in front of the window.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the description:
    "The icky 80s spec house feel is completely gone, and the new kitchen feels beautiful, spacious, and timeless."

I LOVE white kitchen and am not particularly fond of oak kitchen; however, in this case, I would have kept the original top cabinets and probably painted the bottom ones. I bet that in a couple of years, someone will strip the paint of to discover the original cabinets....

• michellern1969
    10 years ago

we are currently doing a kitchen makeover, has anyone ever used silver pearl granite with white cabinets??

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

Some interesting decisions that I would not have made.

About the only thing I like is the counter tiles. I wish I could have seen a better photo.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"for the countertops, the homeowners chose Brazilian soapstone, fabricated by M. Teixeira."

Here is a link that might be useful: Teixeira soapstone

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Perfect example of when "not" to paint. If the photos of the before are as beautiful in person, what a shame to take away the original charm. I would have felt wonderful in what was.
    Now it also feels like something is missing with those wonderful interior doors. If they are the originals, bet they painted all the trims too.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I loved the top cabs in the oak and the chest type piece in the original oak. The bottom oak did have more of a '80s vibe going so I might have painted those and left the rest oak.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

The person posted in the apartmenttherapy thread and said "We loved the old wood in our home that was in less trafficked areas, and dutifully kept it intact. Check out the fabulous old doors to see what it looks like when in better shape."

So it looks like they painted the trim but kept the doors?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I think it looks great!

• mateo21
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom - I think it's nice, personally - I'm also VERY curious where you got the framed botanical prints in the photo Robotropolis posted? Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

You know, about 99% of the time I'd opt for white over oak, but I think that's one time I'd have left those cabinets alone and just given the finish a face lift.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mateo1, it's not my kitchen, so I don't know where the botanical prints are from.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

mateo1, if you have an inkjet printer you can download free botanical prints from lots of sources, like the graphics fairy or the NY Public Library, and most stores that sell frames would have plain oak ones like that very reasonably.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Bummer that they painted that great built in cupboard and the uppers. I'd have probably stayed more in the middle between where it was and where it is now.