Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbncan

Got a quote! Not likely!

kbncan
13 years ago

Well we got our quote for our kitchen and the rest of the house (ensuite/bar/laundry/and 2 more bathrooms. $66,000 bucks! That seems pretty high to me. My budget was $55,000. I just don't know where to start cutting?? Solid wood dovetailed drawers throughout base-cabinets (scratch)? Go with a standard drawer?

Any help would be appreciated. Need more info let me know.

Comments (20)

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

It's unclear if you're just talking a cosmetic remodel of the indicated areas or if you're actually talking about some new construction or structural changes. For a simple cosmetic remodel, it's about as budget as you can go without increasing the DIY portion. If this includes any structural or systems issues, then it's dangerously low priced so that I'd have to wonder about their ability to accurately quote.

National average expenditures on like for like replacement remodels are 30K for kitchens, 12K for bathrooms, and that's only with minor plumbing or electrical. For structural changes, and major systems alterations, the totals are more. You've also got a laundry and bar area included.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Without knowing exactly what your plans include, I'd say that's a pretty low quote for that many rooms. If it's not in your budget, then I would consider delaying one of the bathrooms until you can afford it rather than cutting back on things you really want/need, like quality cabinet drawers.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I'm glad I don't live where y'all live! You can buy a pretty decent house for $65,000 where I live!

• dollfanz
    13 years ago

And you can do a large Ikea kitchen complete with soft closing drawers for 3 to 5 grand.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

It's unclear what your quote includes.
    Just cabs?

Or appliances, flooring, walls, and GC work?

• kbncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is a new construction. 2480 sqft bungalow with finished basement of about the same as the main floor. The Kitchen is vaulted and so I wanted stacked cabinets. This quote was just cabinets/counters of granite and laminate combo/labour for install. Also the whole kitchen is drawers on the base.

I really love that look and the practicality of it. Would it save me that much money though if I went cupboards instead? I'm heading back to the designer next week to see where we could trim back. Also I'm awaiting another company design/quote. I wonder if there will be much difference? Hmmmm?

• gryane
    13 years ago

I would shop it around - you'd be surprised at the differences in pricing out there for the same thing!

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

Get a couple of quotes before deciding. It was amazing the range we got from both our general contractor and the KDs.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

One way to decrease the initial cost is to spec less expensive materials and make sure you aren't complicating the plans.

How extensive is this work?

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

changing the drawers is not going to get you back on budget. there are a number of reasons your quote is "high"

you have loads of cabinets with a really big kitchen. Stacked cabinets do add to the cost.

drawer units are more expensive than regular cabinets, Huge pull out pantries more so.

the cabinet place could think you're a sucker and charge you more than their standard.

you could have specced something expensive without knowing it. custom wood hoods and stuff like that adds to the cost significantly.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

You can easily shop around for a variety of cabinets in all price ranges. 65K for cabs and counters is by my standards on the high side. Espceially, if part of the countertop is laminate. Shop around KD's too if you need to work with a KD.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

If that quote is just cabs & counters, then it might be a little high, depending where you live. What price range of granite does it include? Have you tried a local cabinetmaker rather than one of the big companies? Does it include sinks?

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

That's around 63K American, which is still "high" for cabinetry alone for a mid range remodel. If it includes flooring, lighting, appliances, and labor for all of the above, it's probably pretty accurate. For an upper end remodel,it's low to spot on for just the cabinetry. With the additional rooms besides a kitchen, I'd expect you to be in a 30-40K range for cabinets as long as you don't have major buget busters. You do have some high dollar choices in stacked cabinetry and all drawers, but a there has to be other forces driving that number. What are the other specs here? Pantries, wood hoods? Cherry? Cabinet brand? What granite? Etc.?

• kbncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chrisk327 I'm thinking the cabinet did see the $$$$ and thought they could upcharge to no end. Ya right! The next place I just went to I toned it down a bit, and am awaiting a quote.
    I thought I wanted cherry but we're having really dark cabinetry almost to the point of black. That would just be a waste to not see that beautiful grain and colour of the cherry. We could do a maple?
    Counters in the kitchen will be a stone likely granite and have had 2 quotes of $6850 (granite only company) and $7500 (Kitchen place). Funny because the kitchen place gets their granite supplied from the place I went to directly. Middlemen taking their cut on my pocket. Grrrr!
    The more I think of it the more I'm not liking the Kitchen place I first went to. Which means if it doesn't feel good RUNNNN!!!! lol.
    I can't wait for the others to come up with something. I think I was dazzled by the first design because we finally got to see our dream in 3D instead of a blueprint. They almost had me sucked in!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Just keep shopping---you'll be amazed at the range in costs. Our bids for cabinets alone ranged from $9K to $30K for the same cabinet configurations with identical hardware and materials. You just have to keep looking if the first quote is too high---and sometimes you have to look outside the usual spots (i.e., outside of the kitchen showrooms, which I found had a markup across the board for putting everything under one roof). If you like a particular cabinet line, find out who the dealers are locally, and if some of them are contractors or other non-kitchen-showrooms, try calling them. I found that sometimes their markups were lower.

If it makes you feel better, though, the very first guy who came out to look at our kitchen, from a well regarded general construction company, took one look and told me $60K-$80K for everything, depending on my finishes...after a lot of legwork, we got the plan down to $25K for everything (not using that firm, of course) without too many big sacrifices. So it is possible if you're persistent! Good luck!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

If I'm reading this post correctly this is cabinets & counters for a kitchen, 3baths(1 a master en suite,) a bar and laundry. If that's the case, the quote seems reasonable for a mid-grade semi-custom line of cabinetry. Could you go lower? Well, sure. But, you could go higher too.

Maple generally speaking will cost less than cherry, but you can find cherry in door styles that would be less than maple in a more elaborate door style. Forgoing the bar and going with RTA in the laundry might get you under your budget. You can always do those sometime later.

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

the real thing is the volume of cabinets that is a big ??

you could be doing a lot that are elaborate, you could be doing minimal with just a few touches.

multiple quotes can help tell you whether its the dealer or your choices.

• hydrangea_luvr
    13 years ago

The first guy who came to look at our house quoted about $30,000 more than we paid for the entire house 14 years ago! It did include bumping out a wall, so we went back to the drawing board, and decided to knock out a wall instead.

Definitely check around. We found that it was cheaper to go with our cabinetmaker than buy Kraftmaid from a big box...plus we are getting the cabinets we need that fit our kitchen.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Talk to custom cupboard makers. Unless you're crazy for a special door style, you can cut costs and get more for the buck. We priced plain oak unfinished "Shaker" style cupboards from Menard's, Omega, and Home Depot and two local custom shops. We ended up buying from a custom shop--probably the hungriest of the lot; the other custom guy was the highest price!

If you can get the custom cabinet guy to make strong drawers for the big drawers and thinner sides and bottoms on the top drawers in the stack, do it! We got hefty drawers in places that only added to the cost and ruined the capacity.

Also, be aware that those very attractive and fashionable blind corner units will bump your estimate by $500-$800 or so, apiece!

Other places to cut costs:
    hardware
    sinks
    faucets
    appliances
    lighting fixtures
    countertops
    backsplashes
    flooring

I always say, "When it comes to stuff, you can have anything you want; all it takes is money."

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

That quote could be anything. It's impossible to know simply by what you posted in your message.

I will say that I got vastly different quotes on my kitchen remodel. Shenandoah cabinets were quoted at around $20K, while J&K cabinets came in at half that. While the J&K are also semi-custom, my installer still did a lot of custom work. Quality is equivalent.

Where I sacrificed amounted to a DIY -- I pretty much was my own KD. But it was worth it.

Takehome message: shop it around.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals