Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodyoasis_gw

Plumbing woes - kitchen sink

homebodyoasis
9 years ago

Our new sink that was installed on Friday is 9 inches deep, our old overmount was 8.5 inches deep.

Our contractor (former as of today) attempted to connect the sink this weekend and was unsuccessful. After literally 7.5 hours he told me he need to come back another day to complete the job. First he said there must be a clog and cleared the line, then said the drain pipe from the wall is too high and ended the day by telling me me he needed to come back and do a different configuration.

Long story short, I will be using a professional plumber to correct/finish the job correctly...

Was hoping to get some advise on what possible solutions I will be presented with based on some pics.

Comments (4)

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic

• klem1
    9 years ago

The rough-in (where pipe disappears into wall) is too high for good drain. The old sink shouldn't have drained much faster. If you are lucky the line behind wall is virtical because lowering a horizonal run could require pulling cabinets.
    It only takes a few minutes to raise the trap high as possible in order to cut a little "head". Try that first and see if you can live with it.

This post was edited by klem1 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 14:18

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

This is a common occurrence. The waste arm is too high, and water won't flow uphill. The waste arm has to go into the wall at a downhill slant of 1/4" per foot. The wall needs to be opened and the waste arm lowered. Maybe $300 from a plumber where I am, without including the drywall repair that will be needed.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, you need to lower the drain in the wall. I spent an hour under my new sink playing with all of those hamster tubes before I figured that one out, too. Luckily, I had enough room to easily lower it myself :)