Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capeterson_tx

What would you do in this space? Feedback welcome!

capeterson_tx
9 years ago

What would you do with this space? The washer and dryer are moving, and the wall they are on will need a new look. We are buying new cabinets for the kitchen, but this space is probably not necessary for extra counter/prep space. We plan to use it for storage: cookbooks, wine, wine and cocktail glassware, milk glass and jadeite collections, possibly dishes, possibly pantry items, mixing bowls, stand mixer, cake stand, etc. (i.e. stuff I don't mind looking at) This is likely the only place in the kitchen we�ll have uppers. I don't find them terribly useful for storage for everyday items (I'm short!), and our kitchen is small so hoping to add windows instead of uppers to open everything up.

I'm looking at three options, but am open to suggestions!
A) Cabinets that match the kitchen (nearby), but look like a built in china cabinet or hutch. Glass uppers, drawer or drawer/door combo lowers. This is my favorite option but by far the most expensive.

B) Cabinet lowers and open shelving uppers. The best of both worlds!

C) All open shelving, industrial pipe/wood look. My husband�s favorite option. We can DIY and it's by far the least expensive. We have some other items that are more industrial around the house so it would (hopefully) not look totally out of place in our 1920's house. We both really like the industrial look.

I'm including some photos of the current space so you have an idea; there is a built-in in the side of the dining room and we just added some faux board and batten. Ignore the dining room chairs, they are from our last house/table and I loathe them now.

I'll open a new post to share some photos I found on Pinterest for inspiration.

My other thought is we could put in pipe/wood shelving initially and replace with cabinets down the road if we need more closed storage or if we need to update for resale. We are planning on buying cabinets by Barker so I don't think it would be an issue to place a second order in a few years.

Comments (8)

• capeterson_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Inspiration photos:

These are all from the web via Pinterest and I have the actual sources. If anyone wants them please let me know!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Personally I like option B - cabinets below which would serve as a nice landing area and a place to hide the uglies, open shelves above to display your pretties.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I'm more of a closed storage kinda gal because I hate to dust. :) Cool ideas, though.

If you choose to do the lay-out I suggested or one similar to it, you won't be able to fill the entire wall up with cabinets because you'll create a very tight pinch point where this wall meets the kitchen.

It's okay to dream (thank goodness, right?) but you should figure out your kitchen plan first before deciding what to do with this wall.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

If you're you haven't already arranged it elsewhere it might be nice to include a feeding station for your dogs.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Visually I like option 2 the best as well.

I think it adds and level of interest and is still in keeping with the overall style of your home.

I feel that the pipe/reclaimed wood look is too makeshift feeling in appearance, and clashes with the very nice traditional moldings and other permanent features of your lovely home.

From your first picture, the way it is framed visually by the door opening, anything you put here is going to feel prominent and special. So I think that something more moody and masculine is great, but I think the plumbing fittings and rough wood are not stylized enough to carry the space and will look like a place holder.

If you DH wants something more industrial, then I would think about similar cabinets in your main area for lowers, but maybe painted or stained a different color. With a countertop that is different (stained polished concrete, matte soapstone, mosaic tiles, etc), and then for upper shaving if you both want a more open feel and different look than the kitchen proper. The last idea picture you posted, with more finished shelves (framed front edge for visual thickness and a more finished look) , for uppers only, could look quite nice. Or possibly pairs of John Boos stainless shelves, or even shallower than typical Upper cabins, with no doors, would give the a look you would like.

I would also recommend being sure to add some good access for power outlets, probably a 4 outlet instead of typical dual plug outlet. Then the space can hold laptop, a TV, coffee pot and other appliances, be a charging station, work for crafting, and be all around useful.

• meganmca
    9 years ago

I really like the pipe/shelf thing, too, if it works for you style-wise. If you wanted to dress it up a bit, you could always put an edge on the shelf, after all (makes it thicker, very standard thing to do--only increases the complexity "some" if you have woodworking tools already).

But, consider two things: any toddlers/preschoolers around? Any dogs with waggy tails? If so, think about what you'll be able to put on those lower shelves--nothing glass, that's for sure. And I don't think I'd put a kitchenaid or other heavy appliance down too low (possibly this is because I'm tall, though!).

I do like open shelving, though, generically; no large dust problems in our house, probably because we don't have hot air heating.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I think I would buy a free-standing antique china cabinet or hutch. Like this: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=hutch&term_meta%5B%5D=hutch%7Ctyped

I feel like that area is calling for a piece of furniture rather than a built-in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Hutch

• capeterson_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking into freestanding options now (hey, craigslist!). I also found this awesome piece : http://www.wisteria.com/Reclaimed-Pine-Hutch/productinfo/W7502

I think it could work! I definitely think this is the best place in the house for a charging station, so we will plan for some outlets in that area. I'm liking the idea of closed storage near the bottom. We have dogs, so dust bunnies galore.