Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

Check out this new countertop material....

kompy
9 years ago

.....by Cosentino. Called Dekton.
All of us KD's have heard this...."Can I put a hot pot on it?"
Here's a new material you can take a blow torch to!!!
It's a mix of quartz, glass and ceramics and is the toughest top I've seen. Click on the link below and watch the stress test video.

There are limited colors and not much movement like some stone. It has the heft and weight of quartz, but also has a definite man-made feel to it. It's not cold to the touch. I can't quite explain it. This would be perfect for modern kitchens. They also have some white marble looks but did not see samples of those. Their matte black was cool. Front edge was polished....deck was matte.

Here's a web excerpt:
Dekton employs exclusive Sinterized Particle Technology, a high tech process which represents an accelerated version of the metamorphic change that natural stone undergoes when subjected to high temperatures and pressure over thousands of years.

CLICK ON THE VIDEO TO WATCH WHAT THEY DO IT.
Here in the showroom the rep took a screwdriver to it and a fireplace lighter. She claims that a Sharpie marker wipes off easily with a Mr Clean Eraser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on this video for Stress Testing on Dekton

Comments (23)

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

I really like the look of their marble styles. What's the price point compared to Caesarstone? Couldn't find anything on their website.

• kompy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I asked my rep and she said it would vary from fabricator/dealer....but she said it would be very close to quartz (Caesarstone/Cambria) pricing....about $80 SF installed.
    Did you watch the video? She said at a recent trade show, one of the reps hit it hard several times with a crowbar. And not a mark.

I'm not sure how they make it.....she said not with Breton machines! They are made similar to nature with pressure and high temperatures. Cosentino put out $200 million for research and development for this material!!!!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Interesting! Thanks for posting it.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Somebody explain that sink cutout to me.

I guess it's mitered to continue the illusion of a thick slab. But it's also got a pretty wide radius. Does the material actually bend???

• kompy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean marcolo....in the pic above or in the web gallery? Here's another pic of sink. There's no way this material bends.

And for now I think they are introducing just 2cm thickness.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's available in a 20mm thickness. That's almost 2 cm and could account for the sink cutout. :P

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I remember hearing about this previously; glad to see it finally made its way here. I like the thicker material compared to the thinner sheet porcelain material. How do they handle seams? I assume the 2 cm slabs are handled similar to regular quartz and natural stone, but there might be extra precaution. Is the pricing reference relative to the 8 mm material, rather than the 2cm material?

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

Yes these large format porcelain "tiles" do bend, but they only bend one direction. If they are bent too far the opposite direction though when moving them, they will crack quite easily.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

Saw this in the Los Angeles Poggenpohl showroom a few months ago. Didn't hit it with a hammer but they said I could.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

20 mm is EXACTLY 2 cm, or slightly less than 0.79 inches. In Europe at least, it's also available as 3 cm (and 8 mm).

• plllog
    9 years ago

I think the wide radius in the first black picture is just following the sink. That matte black is cool.

I love the non-resin, non-concrete aspect of it. That it's something stable. I wonder if this is a similar process to the one they use for Bioglass?

Is there any information on the environmental impact? Energy used in production? Etc.?

Thanks for posting, Kompy! It's cool!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Very nice. Too bad it wasn't available for me.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

sharpie will wipe off any solid surface and many finished surfaces with an alcohol swab. not sure why you would want to crowbar your counter. does the world really need this? I don't get it.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

I was all set to go with quartz until a few of the samples that I have chipped with run-of-the-mill use (honestly, I picked them up and put them down on a butcher block counter and 2 of them chipped!) I was surprised how easily they broke. I had granite in a previous kitchen and the edges chipped on the granite as well. This new product looks very interesting-no resin and durable. I'm concerned about the environme

• huango
    9 years ago

I wonder if they can be ?routed? for dish-draining toward the sink?

Really like it, but my kitchen is done (yes, I still visit here).

But my main thought is to use it for my master bathroom walls and floor (Thinking I can do large sheets of this. 126"x56" are great!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I'm planning a bathroom remodel and thinking about this material for shower walls (if the thinner slabs are available) and the vanity top.

It's tough because it was developed for exterior and flooring applications. No reason to limit its use, though!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

The reason why I brought up the radius is because I thought Dekton was supposed to be an ultra thin porcelain large-format tile. But it's actually a different kind of material.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator.

I have done a few jobs in this material. To date it is only available in 2CM material. It's material properties are significantly different than quartz so it presents a fairly steep learning curve for the fabricator plus an investment in special tooling (saw blades and CNC router bits).

Cosentino's national rep for Dekton just visited my shop. He said they'd have a White Carerra look alike in 2CM in Feb and 3CM in April but the graining would be surface only which means most applications would want a mitered edge profile. Full thickness grain won't be until next summer (or later, as this kind of thing almost always takes longer).

I told the rep if they really have a White Carerra look alike with the advertised material properties of Dekton they will make a really big splash in the market.

Pricing will be premium for the forseeable future, probably similar to the most expensive levels of Silestone or Ceasarstone or a Tier 3 or 4 granite price.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Oh wow ... I'm in love with that leather-look brown stuff.

BTW: "sintering" is a well known industrial process of making things from finely powdered raw materials, compacted with heat and pressure.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Haha someone doublechecked my metrik converzions.

The thin version of this (as well as the porcelain slabs) has great potential for bath and shower surrounds.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I checked to see if it was available in my area. To my surprise, the results came back with Lowe's and Home Depot.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Looks interesting. Someday I will need to do the bathrooms. Maybe I can hold out for a newer version
    Thanks for showing this new material.

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

isnt this the same stuff as neolith? i checked out neolith --- they have a carrara knock off that i think will sell well once it catches on. i didn't love the matte but mostly i didn't love the texture. it wasn't smooth and cool to the touch.

i think they also have it in 5cm

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County