Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Vintage-ish modern-ish kitchen remodel

crcollins1_gw
9 years ago

As teased in another post, DH and I bought a 1965 brick ranch in July and started the remodel of the kitchen which became a gut of almost half the house. The kitchen was an awful little closet of a space enclosed in the middle of an otherwise very open area which constituted the living room, dining room, family room (I guess - mostly was a huge brick fireplace), and the ill-placed stairs to the basement that were obviously added (poorly) sometime along the way. Here's the before of the kitchen. If you can call it that.

Comments (45)

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I apologize for posting pictures individually. Can't figure out the html thing, and I'm a Luddite.

So we're making progress. Cabinets are in, countertops are coming along, dust everywhere (will it ever end?)...

It is totally our style and I'm not selling this house anytime soon (I pray). I like to think that this is a kitchen that people will see and say, "I would never have the guts to do it, but it's awesome!"

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cabinets are from Wellborn Cabinet in Ashland, Alabama.
    http://www.wellborn.com/index.php
    (Not to be confused with Wellborn Forest which gets SCATHING reviews.) I don't have a lot to compare to, but I think these cabinets are very well constructed and for all we got, priced very reasonably. It probably helped I'm in Georgia so shipping was not as bad as if you live in Montana or such.

That big hole on the right side will be filled with a 36" BlueStar and Vent-A-Hood. Got the BlueStar at local appliance place redoing their showroom at a 10% discount. DH is very excited. I'm excited he may finally stir-fry something for me now that we will have a proper vent hood. (BTW we'd never even heard of BS till I started reading here... so, thanks!)

Big hole on left will be our current fridge, Samsung FD. Was only 5 years old and works great so couldn't justify replacing it.

We'll have the Delta Trinsic faucet, Insinkerator instant hot water, select hickory floors.

I'll post some other progress pics. Let me know if you see anything you like (or hate, I guess...everyone has an opinion).

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is probably the best view of the orientation between before and after. You can see the outline of the old kitchen on the floor in the middle of this shot. New kitchen is in the back right corner, which is where the old basement stairs were. We moved the garage door over to the left about three feet (leaving us with a really small living room, but really, don't we all live in the kitchen?).

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thinking about it, I really have a lot to thank all you mysterious people for especially all the base drawers and the refrigerator niche. I only have one base cabinet, a 24" next to the sink, because I didn't get the trash pullout (I know, I know, but I like to have the trash right.here when prepping and this way I can stick it in the cabinet and pull it out when I need it somewhere else).

Oh, yeah, sink is Blanco Diamond 1 3/4 bowls in white. Another thing to thank you all for, I hope! :) I've had Kohler white cast iron with the low divide in my last two houses and loved it except it chips and scratches. I have high hopes for this Blanco. I really like having two drains (one disposal) and the low divide is now a necessity.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

"....really, don't we all live in the kitchen?"

Yes, indeed, and I applaud you for changing that floor plan! I'd knock out a wall if I could, but I can't; the wall I'd remove holds up the second story!

I love your kitchen. Please tell us what color you used on the walls; it appears orange which is just about my favorite.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, orange it is, indeed! SW6880 Energetic Orange. We only put it behind the counter and that one wall with the french doors so it wouldn't be so... you know. The other walls are (will be) SW Crushed Ice.

Pulling down the walls and ceiling was a doozy. Double layers of sheetrock everywhere, and glued. DH got his sweat equity on with that job for sure (August in Georgia with no insulation).

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I love the combo of the orange and blue counters! I also like your pulls! What a transformation. It is so bright too!
    What is your countertop material?

• amck2
    9 years ago

Bold moves! You have created a unique space that suits your personal style and how you use your home. Your joy is palpable from your posts. Bravo!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Counters on perimeters are Formica laminate, Aqua Dotscreen. The island will be Formica solid surface, Sea Glass. Fabricator says he can make the Blanco sink smoothly integrated into the solid surface top. We will see. :)

• LE
    9 years ago

Well, that just looks like fun! Can't wait to see more-- and closeups, too...

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Totally fun! I love when people pick out exactly what they want instead of thinking about possible future buyers. That always produces the best results. I can't wait to see the finished product.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

How fun..those lights are awesome!
    I agree close ups are a must.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

"I would never have the guts to do it, but it's awesome!"

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

This is gonna be a stunner! I love the hardware - kinda wish I had seen this before I bought mine. Where did you get it?

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody! I'll post more pics as we go along.

The hardware came from Cool Knobs and Pulls and the best thing is they were less than $2 each! They are aluminum so lighter weight than brass or other metal, but given that they are mounted flush against the cabinet, they seem fine thus far! They also come in brushed nickle finish for a little more $.

Another site I think I learned about here. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: modern drawer pull

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the pendant lights. Warning: they can vary significantly in color depending on date of manufacture. Date is on tag inside of mount. Of the first three, one had to go back. I sat on the floor and opened the three they had in HD and pulled them all out side-by-side. Lady working there said, "Were they made by a drunk on Monday morning?"

One of those three was very yellow. One was not as pretty and the third had some cool green in it that the others didn't. I went with the third and it's a little bit lighter than the other two but, what the heck, they're unique.

Here is a link that might be useful: tulip pendants

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

The tulip pendants are nice too!
    I think it's all going to look great :-)

• lam702
    9 years ago

I really like those lights! Refreshing to see something different. I agree, picking what you like usually makes for a better kitchen, its more a reflection of you than a beautiful but cookie cutter kitchen. And really, as far as resale goes, those cabinets are neutral enough to work in most décor, you might have to paint the walls something neutral, and replace the counters with something in white or gray tones and new glass for the pendants and you'll have no trouble selling. Or, you might find a buyer who appreciates your style and loves it just as it is.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Very interesting and cool so far -- can't wait to see it finished!

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I love what you are doing! It is so in keeping with the era of your home and your finishes are quite fun. I am a firm believer in making your home a reflection of yourself instead of applying someone else's vision. Great job!

Please keep us updated.
    Diane

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup of the drawer construction, mainly for if anyone is considering Wellborn cabinets. I found very little about them online when researching. I think that the white painted surface is going to be a continuing challenge to keep clean, but the boxes themselves seem to be well made, well painted, and I'm pleased for all we got for the price. Let me know if you see anything there that gives you pause.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

The detail in the drawers looks very nice. I think you are going to really like these cabinets ; 0

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some more pictures! Island top installed today, including sink.

Formica solid surface, sea glass pattern
    Delta trinsic faucet
    Insinkerator instant hot water

Neither of the faucets are installed, just precariously balanced in the holes.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I am going to LOVE this sink. Blanco Diamond 1.75 bowl. I wanted two separate sections, but have had the low divide in previous Kohler sink and can't live without that now.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one for now. This one shows the tilt-front faux drawer with trays. Never had this until my last kitchen and it is super handy. Excited to have two.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang, I lied. One more. This is the laminate pattern that's on the perimeter counters. I am not a bit ashamed to say I'm really happy about having laminate. It's SOOOO not granite. LOL

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

crcollins - Your kitchen is providing great inspiration for our upcoming 1948 cottage renovation. Thank you so much for sharing the details; we're thinking slab doors and formica tops and it's nice to see them in action. I look forward to seeing more.

• romy718
    9 years ago

You are absolutely right, it is awesome! Looking forward to seeing more.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

I looked at your pictures & kept thinking what a fun kitchen. I scrolled down & obviously others think you're kitchen looks fun too! I love it! Your counters are cool. Looking forward to the finals. Enjoy!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I love your sink too, Crcollins!
    And the solid surface looks great with it! It looks so cool with that skinny lip of counter encircling the sink.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, everybody!

I can't believe I haven't heard "Funfetti" from someone! I totally got that from those who have seen it IRL. :-)

Celeste

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

Oh, that teal countertop is so pretty!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Love your blue counter! The whole kitchen looks happy.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

crcollins - Your kitchen solidified our plan to do white slab doors and either laminate or a corian type of countertop in our 1948 cottage. Also, your colorful counter and of course, Retro Renovation has me tempted to do a fun VCT or linoleum flooring.

I'm wondering... what flooring did you decide on? Thanks!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is completely open to the living room and dining room (no walls), so we are going with hardwood throughout. Select hickory with a natural finish, so it will be pretty light.
    I would totally have gone with something fun or more interesting if it wasn't so open.
    Keep us in the loop as to how you proceed. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love the retro counters and pulls! How fun! Good for you for following your own taste.

I understand what you mean about "not-granite" being awesome (even though I just installed it!).

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again! Floors will be installed two weeks from today. By that time I hope we'll be 95% done, and can finally emerge from our basement exile. Expect more pictures shortly thereafter!!

• RyanBflo
    9 years ago

crcollins - I love your kitchen, and can't wait to see the photos when it is completely finished. I am in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel, and I am very much leaning towards the Formica Aqua Dotscreen for my counters. I just sent away for a sample of this and a few of the other Formica 100th anniversary patterns, as they don't seem to have them in stores.

I have searched all over, and there don't seem to be any photos online of the countertop installed. In fact, before I found this post, I came across a post from you on another site where Formica responded that there were no installed photos.

If you could please post a photo or two of the installed Aqua Dotscreen countertop, I would be very appreciative! I would be putting it on white cabinets as well. I'm also wondering what type of edge you chose. Thank you!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RyanBflo,
    Sorry just saw this! I'll attach a few shots of the counter. It's pretty cool, I must say. We went with post form, no backsplash. Make sure your walls are straight and that your cabinets are square if you go that way, because we ended up with about a 1/4 inch gap I now have to deal with. I am not putting in a backsplash so am going to try the aluminum cove if I can figure out how to get it to secure in place.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what we got today!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more for Ryan - mind the gap!

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Snazzy!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I can't wait to see the end product. I'm too conservative for this but it's fun to look at. Your old kitchen was about the size of a pantry in today's homes. LOL! I remember once living in a very nice home that was pretty large that had a tiny little kitchen like that, I don't know what they could have been thinking when they designed it.

• RyanBflo
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting the photos! It really helps to visualize how it will look on a counter, with the stripes running horizontally. I am about 75% sure that this is what I will choose, but I just wish it was a brighter, more vivid shade. Oh well, I have looked at all of the Formica and Wilsonart laminates, and there aren't many that are especially bright or vivid. I also like Wilsonart's Aqua Fizz pattern, but the color of that is even more subdued. People are too afraid of color these days, so I applaud you for your color palette!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor