Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Häfele Foot Pedal for Trash...want a chuckle?

Buehl
15 years ago

Well my Häfele foot pedal came today. So I opened the box to look for the instructions and, yes!, they're in the bag with parts. So...I open the bag up and start to read the directions for installing it.

Hmmmm.....I think we have a problem....it's all in German!!! And, it's been too many years to count since I had German in college!

Well, my DS is taking German I in HS and I considered asking him to take the directions to his teacher translate (and thinking she might even give him extra credit if he struggled through the translation himself).

Instead, my DS takes it and, using computer, translates it. And this is what the translation says....

Assembly instructions

pedal 3690 for cabinets with front excerpt

The door opener consists of:

1) pedal with a magnet (Fig. 1)

2) Against plate (55 x 75 mm) b (Fig. 1)

3) Spring ( Figure 2)

1) Fixing the pedal:

The pedal is assembled under the wardrobe closet in the middle of subsoil (see Figure 1) angschroubt (through holes ø 4.5 mm). The long holes allow fine tuning, so that both magnets fully in the counter-plate concerns.

2) Fixing the counter plate:

The opposite panel should be included in the back of the front panel be admitted. Fasten with 3 screws.

3) Fixing the spring:

Between the cabinet and the underbody extract soil is placed under the spring. One end of the spring is under the rear end of the excerpt soil, the other end to the cabinet front underbody screwed (see Figure 2). When you insert the extract is the spring and excited by the pedal in Magnetschnapper held in position. The operation of the pedal triggers a breaking of the magnetic plate from the opposite, making the spring force of the spring and the excerpt released is driven out.

Gotta love computers...so literal minded!

Comments (18)

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Very amusing - You know what they say: "To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer". I'm sure You've already checked their website to see they have English instructions available.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

So what's confusing you the most.....where to get the underbody extract soil or is it the excited Magnetschnapper? That is pretty darn funny!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

We installed ours -- we just used the picture. What I found odd was that in the pic there are *two* cords, one for each side, but only one came with the package. How many did you get?

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Well, am I ever glad to have this information before hiring installers! Now all I have to do is look for someone who spreken zie Deutch!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

One end of the spring is under the rear end of the excerpt soil, the other end to the cabinet front underbody screwed (see Figure 2). When you insert the extract is the spring and excited by the pedal in Magnetschnapper held in position.

I thought this was supposed to be a family-friendly, G rated site? :O

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ouch! I was just reading over what I posted and I noticed that my grammar is almost as bad as the translation!

My husband looked at me this afternoon and asked worriedly, is there an English version somewhere. Uh...sort of. All I've found so far is a 1-page PDF showing pull out trash cans & the foot pedal. I do, however, have MeToo2's directions so hopefully we'll muddle through!

Flyleft....we just have one spring.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

"When you insert the extract is the spring and excited by the pedal in Magnetschnapper held in position."

What a positively titillating read! Who needs romance novels when you have foot pedal instructions?! If I smoked I'd be having a cigarette right now.

Too funny.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

OMG! I am sitting here crying I am laughing so hard. What a riot. However, I happen to have ordered their blind corner cabinet thingy. Lord only knows what those instructions will be like!

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Hey buehl - where did you order it & how much? My cabinet guy is not real gadgety...

• alku05
    15 years ago

To funny! We just followed the diagrams when we installed ours. If you get stuck and need help, give me a holler.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jnjmom...I ordered it from TrashCansAndMore. They have both versions...the one for trash bins hanging from rails and the one for trash bins sitting in a base.

Trash bins sitting on base: http://www.trashcansandmore.com/Hafele-502.15.113-YQ1004.html ($35 + 6.99 shipping)

Trash bins hanging from rails: http://www.trashcansandmore.com/Hafele-502.15.220-YQ1005.html ($59 + free shipping)

Another site that sells them: http://www.kitchensource.com/trash/ha-5-43.htm & http://www.kitchensource.com/trash/ha-5-44.htm [Note the $12 shipping + $10 minimum order fee/surcharge]

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Great -- thanks!!

• jakkom
    15 years ago

Oh dear, to add to our growing list of Things We Must Have in our next kitchen, do we have to add in the Magnetschnapper as well? LOLOL!!

• ginnytrcka
    15 years ago

Flyleft where did you purchase yours? I have seen a reference to the two spring version but only on UK sites. It's supposed to be good for heavier loads. I'm wondering if it might possibly be strong enough to overcome the softclose mechanism. Sure would be great to have both features. Did you install both springs? I am looking into which pedal to get. It seems like either one could be made to work with the rev-a-shelf 5349 series, but which requires less mods and is there any hope for keeping the soft close?

• alku05
    15 years ago

Ginnytrcka, my trash pullout is a RAS 5349 series and I have the silver Hafele pedal. The only modification needed was to remove the softclose- the bungee hooked right onto the holes on the back of the pullout.

I can't see how any opener would be compatible with the softclose. Indeed, the more powerful the spring-action, the worse off you'll be with the soft close because the soft close and opener tension oppose eachother.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

When you insert the extract is the spring and excited by the pedal in Magnetschnapper held in position.

I think my mouse is blushing.

Where might I find a Magnetschnapper? It sounds like a must-have kitchen gadget! ;^) :^D

• ginnytrcka
    15 years ago

Thanks, alku. I'm challenged in visualizing how things work --and I'm sure the translation didn't quite clear things up :)

I'll order the silver one and take out the soft close--far more important to open hands free.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

All sounds perfectly clear to me! (NOT!) LOL, I must've missed this thread whent it was first posted. My pedal came (four years ago) with english instructions IIRC but mainly I think the pictures helped a lot. I love my foot pedal. And I agree, the soft close & pedal mechanism are working at cross purposes so I can't see how you could have both.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner