Photos first:

Before:

After:

And yes, my kitchen matches my dog.

Comments (41)

• corgimum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone at GW for all of your help along the way. There are still a few baseboards to install and a banquette cushion to finish but we're 99% there!

Custom Cabinets- Mullet Cabinet, Millersburg, OH- Birch with custom stain or paint match to SW Dover White
    Countertops- Silestone Quasar
    Backsplash- 4 x 12 field tiles with 1/2" x 1/2" glass mosaic feature over range
    Floor- Armstrong Somerset Red Oak Natural
    Lighting- Nuvo Decker Sudbury Bronze, UCL- Philips eW Profile, cans- Sylvania LED
    Sink- Blanco Diamond Super Single in Truffle
    Faucet/Soap Dispenser- Moen Russo in Spot Resistant Stainless
    Drawer Pulls- Amerock Mulholland in Antique Rust
    Table- Custom by a local furniture maker
    Wall Color- Behr Merino Wool
    Refrigerator- Samsung (from pre-reno)
    Dishwasher- Whirlpool Gold
    Microwave- Frigidaire
    Range- GE Induction (LOVE!)
    Range Hood Liner- Zephyr Vortex

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What a difference. It's so much more open now and taking the cabinets to the ceiling and getting rid of the soffit was a great idea.

I love the banquette and table area.

It really is important that the dog and kitchen match for that final design detail.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! Great use of the existing space, and it looks terrific, too!

• ainelane
    9 years ago

How beautiful! I LOVE your banquette, it fits in with the room so well. I really like how the window trim and room doors match the cabinets. It makes it look like it's all been there for a long time (I mean that in a good way).
    Well done!! And your dog is adorable :)

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, how nice! Love how well your remodel suits your home - and matches your dog :)

The banquette looks like the perfect spot to enjoy a bite or linger over coffee. I really like your window treatment and rug. Good spot for your microwave and coffee maker. All so well thought out & executed.

Congrats & thanks for sharing!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is so warm and pretty and I love all the design details including your fabric. Your window treatments are beautiful! Love the cab colors and countertop and your storage looks so well thought out. I congratulate you on avoiding an oversized island for your space.

However I must say my favorite detail is that banquette ...DREAMY! I love it!!

PS Great job on matching your doggie friend.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

Love the nook. Such a great place to hang out and enjoy your lovely space.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I think the look on your dog's face is priceless and adorable.

I also love the changes, especially the dining nook. This is a kitchen that not only look beautiful but also looks designed to flow properly so it's joy to cook in. Bon Appétit...

• brightm
    9 years ago

Ooh, I just spotted your valances. Love them.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I especially love your banquette(and your sweet puppy too!)

• lam702
    9 years ago

Very nice. I like the color of the cabinets, such a nice, warm, medium brown stain. It seems today everyone is doing white or espresso shaker, but I still love the classic raised panel look. But, the real star of your kitchen is your adorable little corgi! So cute!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It looks really great!

I love the fabrics you chose, too. Are those Peace symbols on the banquette cushions?

• corgimum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of the kind comments. Rudy appreciates your praise, too. He just turned 10 this week and was a fantastic site supervisor. The cushion fabric is Sunbrella Gazebo in Driftwood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunbrella Gazebo

• crl_
    9 years ago

I love how the seating flows into the cabinetry! Thank you for sharing.

• taggie
    9 years ago

Wow I agree with all the comments above. What a beautiful banquette and the quintessential layout for it. In addition to that great feature piece I also love your other details like the gorgeous cabinets, lovely silestone counters, the spice pullout which positions your spices perfectly for working at the stovetop (great planning!), and of course your perfectly color coordinated namesake. :). Congratulations on such a lovely new kitchen.

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

That looks awesome and a place where you could relax and be comfortable.

I really like your accessories and the lighting options also.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love everything about your new kitchen. The stain color is just lovely and the flow looks like it will be wonderful.

I would be remiss if I didn't tell you how much I love the banquette and your darling Corgi.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Corgimum! You must be very proud! Love your spice organization, AND of course, Rudy!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Very pretty, love the banquette and window treatments!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I really love your large format backsplash tile & mosaic. The colors are perfect with the countertops & the rich wood color of your cabinets.
    I'm very jealous of your spice cabinet. Lovely eating area.
    You must have taken Rudy cabinet shopping with you because the match is perfect. He looks mischievous, what a cutie!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks great! Both the kitchen and little Rudy! :)

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

One of my favorites! So warm and classic.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! I love your cabinets. Were they very expensive? Did you like the company? I'm in N.E. Ohio and I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't gotten estimates from Amish country. I've just assumed it would be too expensive, so I've been planning on using Barker RTA. In truth, those are going to be expensive as well, and I'll have to assemble and install them myself, so I'm considering alternatives. My sister's cabinetry is by Schrocks of Walnut Creek, solid mahogany-stained cherry. I could probably afford a drawer...

Congratulations. Enjoy your new space in the best of health!

This post was edited by EAM44 on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 0:04

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Wonderful space! It all looks so good together. I really like your window treatments and fabric choices.

• User
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the warm wood with creamy quartz and island. The banquette looks genius - comfortable and easy to get in and out of, and wonderfully integrated into the rest of the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Corgimum - this is gorgeous!! Love how you used slab drawer fronts for your lower drawers. I was just commenting how I was not a fan of benches/banquettes on another thread, saw yours, and had to issue a retractment. Yours looks perfect for your space. Congratulations!!

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great job!
    Love the end drawers on the banquette!
    You also get an award for one of the most organized spice racks around!
    I might have missed it - who makes your beautiful backsplash?
    Now for KAW pics!

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Really beautiful! I especially love those cabinets. Very warm and really gorgeous. You did a fabulous job!! Enjoy!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

that's a beautiful tone of stain

• deedles
    9 years ago

What a lovely, classy redo. Also love the banquette seating area and the pull-out spice cabinet.

That's a cute doggie, too!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I love your banquet. You must spend a lot of time there.
    Also really like the warmth of the wood with the cool of the counter. Very nice combo!

• corgimum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again. We are very happy with our kitchen and it is such an improvement, especially layout-wise than our previous kitchen.

The backsplash tile is Allen + Roth in Pearl from Lowe's. It is very affordable and looks handmade without the variation in size that you find with some handmade tiles. The mosaic is from The Tile Shop. This was my first tiling effort and boy is it backbreaking work! It didn't turn out perfectly but maybe that helps it look more handmade:)

I sent EAM44 an email regarding custom cabinetry but for anyone reading this that hasn't signed on the dotted line regarding their cabinets- seek out a cabinetmaker and get a quote! When I was in the planning process, I got quotes from all the big box stores and found that the upcharges for special sizes was so expensive. By using a custom cabinetmaker, I could get everything exactly the size I wanted and exactly how I wanted it to look for about the same price. I also was able to pick the exact stain and paint colors I wanted and was not limited by the choices on the display.

I thank GW for leading me in that direction along with teaching me about drawers instead of doors, Blanco sinks, my corner cabinet design (from willtv), dividers in the cabinet above the refrigerator, and morgue drawers for the banquette. This is such a great place!

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

What a transformation! And now i know why you're Corgimum :)

• rexroat
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful...I am jealous of your banquette nook!!

Enjoy!!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the lighting in the kitchen, the warm cabinet color, the beautiful counters, the window treatments, the island with a contrasting color to brighten up the kitchen, your spice organization cabinet pull-put, your place for the microwave, your back splash and the design over the range, your beautiful rug on the floor, you adorable clock, and your gorgeous floors. I also love your little doggie that matched the cabinets.

• bdbatche
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen! It's so warm and must be a dream to work in! We've been searching for pics of silestone quasar used with wood tone cabs and up popped yours. It's just perfect! We've only seen pics of the quasar color on-line and can't be sure our monitors show the true colors (working on finding an actual sample). What would you say the predominate color is? The pics show a mix of browns/creams w/ greys. It looks like you did a grey tile on the back splash - is that correct? We're dealing w/ natural maple cabs and are trying to compliment both the maple and SS. This is one of the lighter stones that may have both those colors. Some pics have it looking almost green-ish. Thanks for any help w/ parsing out the true colors of what looks to be a lovely stone.

• sanjuangirl
    9 years ago

I'm a Corgi mom too! Koko and I love your kitchen! The banquette is perfect and the backsplash and hood detail are really lovely!

Enjoy!

• happyallison
    9 years ago

Very pretty, I especially like your counters, I thought they were real stone.

• corgimum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My local Home Depot had Quasar as a sample. I am lucky to live near a distributor so I was able to see a whole piece of it. It is not at all greenish. Taupe is the main color with some beige and brown. It is not a dramatic Quartz. Very understated. My tile is a chameleon. Sometimes it looks taupe and sometimes grey( when the undercabinet lights are on).

Love the corgi pic Sanjuangirl!