Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with zones for this kitchen please

Posted by dckitrem (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 13:49

We switch (it seems daily) between redoing our kitchen and just getting new appliances and countertop and moving on.

Here is the current layout. When we moved in 7 years ago, we unpacked the kitchen and never looked back. In the morning, my husband and I seem to be bumping into each other a lot (partially because of the distance between the sink, stove, and fridge).

Is there a way to set up this layout using zones to make it more user friendly? Meaning I would move the necessary items to the zone that they belong in. Obviously we would have prep/cooking/cleaning zones. But where is the best spot to prep? Near the sink? Between the stove and the fridge? I would also like to have a spot for making the kids lunches where I could store all their thermos and reusable lunch stuff.

There are uppers all around the L and only on the right wall. We would make the counter at the raised bar area all one height and make it a little bigger to accommodate seating on the other side. The granite is only 12 inches deep and too small for doing anything but collecting junk!

Any thoughts?

Thanks~
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with zones for this kitchen please

Are you willing to move around the cabinets that you currently have? Are you on slab or crawlspace? That will determine how easily plumbing might be altered. If you are on slab and aren't able to move around the existing cabinetry, then I'd be planning a serious to the studs kitchen remodel to address the functionality issues here.

If you are on crawlspace and can move stuff around, then swapping the double ovens and the fridge and adding a prep sink to the right of the fridge will give you separate prep and cleanup zones, and the cleanup zone can serve as the lunch prep counter.

But, that still isn't an optimal layout for the space, so in reality, I'd just save the money and aggravation from doing a patch here and do the whole thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here