Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's see islands with 2 sinks

Posted by laughable (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 13:45

I'm drawing up (yet another) kitchen plan and am thinking of having 2 sinks back to back in the island. Does anyone have pictures of this type of setup? Please share. Thanks!

Also, if you have any real-life feedback, that would be super helpful. I'm thinking clean-up sink on the dining room side of the island, and prep sink on the kitchen side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's see islands with 2 sinks

I remember seeing a set up like that shown as an inspiration pic, but can't find it online. I think they were farm sinks in a rustic style island.

I would think it would take an unusual layout to make this work. Are you proposing the cleanup sink and prep sinks both be in the island, or will they both be prep sorts of sinks? I hope it's not the former, as I'd hate to use up island space that way, and unless your kiddos are going to grow up much, much neater than mine, I wouldn't want dirty dishes gathering on the island...in the middle of everything and on display. ;-)

o

JBGB was considering doing something like that...here's a link to her layout ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to JBGB's kitchen plans

o

Thanks, ladies. Here are the only 2 photos I can find. I'd love to know how well this works IRL.

o

Laughable- Here's one more...

From Kitchen plans

And I think this island would work very well, with a second prep sink...on the back left corner. Hope you get some feedback, from people who have this, IRL :)

From Kitchen plans

o

But I just look at that last island and see my reality. A collection of dirty dishes and maybe some beside, at least glasses... While someone is trying to use the island for prep and/or baking? Yuck and too crowded. Not for me. Islands are GREAT work areas, especially in a kitchen with a family as big as yours. Cleanup belongs elsewhere. Just my (obviously strong) opinion, though. ;-)

o

Wow Lavender, that first pic has a very interesting island. I could see the 2nd one having 2 sinks, too.

Rhome, I appreciate your strong opinion. It sent me back to the drawing board. I think I ended up with something even better. It's just going to take us longer than I had hoped to execute it. That's ok though. I was working in the kitchen tonight, and being thankful that my less than perfect kitchen still has some nice features. I can empty the dishwasher while in one spot, shelves for dishes right next to it, drawers for plastic containers and silverware in the island right across the aisle. That works well. So, I'll bide my time. ; )

o

There is often no reward in hurrying. Take your time and know it's the best you could do. :-)

o

There is often no reward in hurrying. Take your time and know it's the best you could do. :-)

Truer words have never been spoken.

o

I have been thinking about doing this since before my daughter was born (she's 16 now). We have a tiny, u-shaped kitchen, and I will be putting a small prep sink on the peninsula, back to back with my regular sink. I don't mind that my kitchen is tiny, but I'd prefer any "helpers" to be on the other side of the peninsula, and it will allow us to see/talk to each other.

I have only seen 2 or 3 photos of kitchens with sinks back to back, but I am definitely going to move forward. Our remodeling project is supposed to start this December, so I'll post a pic when it's done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here