Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

kaw

dcward89
9 years ago

Sometimes nothing else will do except simple, homemade oatmeal cookies.

No fancy ingredients, not even raisins...

Just flour, brown sugar, oats, eggs, vanilla, butter, a little salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg...that's it

Just simple, delicious oatmeal cookies...like Mom always made...

Really, really enjoying my remodeled kitchen!!

Comments (11)

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

YUM :)
    oatmeal is my favorite although i do like chocolate chips in them!!!

thanks for sharing and glad u are loving your kitchen!!

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

Bet there's some really yummy smells coming from your kitchen today! They look great! I can't wait til our remodel is finished and I can bake some cookies in my new oven! We're down to the home stretch - maybe 2-3 more weeks.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

.... and nuts, lol. Just nuts about nuts and I wouldn't take the time to make cookies without 'em. ;-) I'm happy you are enjoying your remodeled kitchen. Sometimes I wonder when I see the stratospherically priced (to me) kitchen remodels: Does anyone actually cook there!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love oatmeal cookies, but not having raisins in them is a sin :p

I'm glad you're enjoying your kitchen. I'll bet it smells delicious right now!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'd add butterscotch chips, but that's just me.

They look delicious!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My very favorite oatmeal cookie recipe (peanut butter and chocolate chips):

Ingredients
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup flour
    1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
    optional - handful of chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375ð (or convection 350ð)
    2.Sift together baking soda, salt and flour, set aside. Beat together butter and sugars with a hand-held mixer until creamy. Add egg and beat well. Add vanilla, beat well. Add peanut butter and mix in. Stir in flour mixture, then oatmeal (and a handful of chocolate chips, optional)
    3.Drop by the heaping Tbsp. onto Silpat lined cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes (convection).

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like all the add-in's ya'll mentioned and have made them with raisins, nuts, butterscotch chips, etc. Today though, I am an oatmeal cookie purist!! My mom always makes them this way and I was missing her today so I wanted to get a taste of her cookies.

sjhockeyfan...the peanut butter sounds interesting...may have to try this recipe next time.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Are they the crispy kind, dcward89? I had tracked down the original Quaker (crispy) oatmeal cookie recipe some years ago, and they are addictive! But, the recipe uses shortening. Would love to see your recipe!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cat_mom...they are chewy, not crispy...although the original recipe called for shortening and I have always subbed in butter instead...shortening may make them crispy...here's the recipe:

Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    3/4 cup shortening (I use 1 1/2 sticks butter instead)
    1 1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups oats

Mix all ingredients together well. Drop by tablespoon onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Those look so yummy! Thank you for the recipe, I will be trying these (crunchy version!)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I'll look for the recipe I have tomorrow and compare (I'll post it, too). Thanks!

I love crispy oatmeal cookies, and crispy chocolate chip cookies, too (Tate's Bakeshop choc chip cookies are my downfall!). When I make the oatmeal cookies, I can't stop eating them! This is why I can't buy or make these two cookies (well, at least not too often!!!). LOL!