Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Last decision! Please show your textured glass

kksmama
10 years ago

I've gone back and forth about the type of glass to use in the few cabinets that aren't solid. Today's choice is taffeta, a final decision is due on Monday.

I could also save $500 (cost of a vitamix!) by just going with plain glass. The only glass front cabinets at eye level are the ones facing the kitchen table, all the others are above the 42" cabinets (the cabinets above the sink get solid doors). I'd hate to spend the money and have the effect be too subtle to notice, I'd hate to cheap out on this final choice if texture would help tie the other elements together, I'd hate to add another "clown" that ruins the room. I guess I don't "love" any part of this decision, perhaps because my heart is totally consumed by my backsplash?

DH and the kids all think "taffeta" would echo the counters, I am embarrassingly influenced by that name in a negative way and prefer something called "water" - as if the name matters at all!! Here is the entire selection of choices, please show me yours and give advice?
http://www.benchmarkglassandmirror.com/id72.html

Comments (22)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could always do plain and apply a window film which you can then change as you wish.... window films are inexpensive.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Did you see what Taffeta does to just one playing card on their website? Can you imagine the resulting craziness when you put an assortment of stuff on the shelves, then repeat it across several cabinets? I think you have enough patterns.

Clear would be my choice, unless you really need to obscure the contents.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

...or frosted glass. You'd still see soft colors through it.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would ask myself if the design is about the doors or what's inside the cabinet. That seems a natural spot to show off some pretty glassware. Most of those glass choices turn the contents into abstract art, which doesn't fit your traditional kitchen.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It is a huge plus for me if the stuff behind the glass is obscured, I don't really have pretty things to put in there and if I did I wouldn't arrange or keep them arranged very well. The cabinets are lit, and I specified glass to lighten the kitchen which is adjacent to lots of windows but doesn't really have any (except at the table).
    If I go with plain glass, I would consider film or a paint treatment down the road, but I'm not a fan of frosted glass. Would the pattern of taffeta really be strong element in the room (given how high up most of it would be)?
    Anyone have pictures to share?

• meek95
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of ours, I have three upper doors with this glass, it is called Waterglass by Spectrum Glass. When selecting ours, I thought I wanted "seedy" based on photos I had seen, but when I brought it home, I didn't like it at all. You have to put the glass sample up in the cabinet with something behind it. I really like ours, it obscures somewhat but not a lot. We also have one lower cabinet and the doors needed tempered glass. The Waterglass wasn't available in tempered so we just put in clear, I like that as well. Our upper glass cabinets are lighted, I hardly ever turn them on since I have undercabinet lights. IMO glass cabinets look better for display. Maybe you could put white panels on the corner cabinet (is that lighted too?) and glass on the uppers only.

• deedles
    10 years ago

That taffeta seems kind of heavy to me. Much prefer the water, too. Or frosted.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is very pretty, Meek95! Have you done a full reveal? I was just admiring your hardware earlier today on another thread. I thought I wanted seedy glass, too, but now like many other choices better. This evening it is reeded - but not the 1/2" reeded or 1/16" reeded offered by contractor, which would be easy. No, now I'm obsessed with the 1/4" reeded on the spectrum site.
    I hope I change my mind again before Monday, but my mind is getting very stubborn lately!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, deedles. "Heavy" is the word I think of, too, but I think part of that is influenced by memories of bridesmaid dresses made of taffeta. The kids really like it, and I've found them to be naturally better at decorating than I.

I should be embarrassed to admit this, but part of what is driving my thought process now is that I keep handling the samples, and some are showing much more fingerprinting than others. If I add glass cleaning to my workload in this kitchen I'm gonna resent it. My island lights are reeded, and if the stuff behind the glass was mostly obscured then those windows could become auxillary lights.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Just one more person weighing in--I vote for 1/2 inch reeded. I think it shares the nice clean line of your cabinets, sandwiched between the layers of the beautiful movement and texture of countertop and tile. I am thinking that anything smaller than that might also be too heavy.

• meek95
    10 years ago

Funny, I was looking at the Spectrum brochure I had when I posted earlier and the reeded immediately caught my eye for your kitchen but I didn't want to confuse you more! Now that I see your light fixture, that would probably be my first choice (I like things to match and repeat). To answer your question, no I haven't done a full reveal yet, backsplash was put in a few weeks ago so my only excuse now is procrastination.

• rantontoo
    10 years ago

I would try to repeat the glass in your light fixtures also.

I do not want to hijack...but I am intrigued by your last photo. Would you share the depth and width of your upper cabinet with the microwave and the model of your microwave that is on the shelf? Is the microwave area vented in any special way since it appears to have very little space open around it? You are stuck on glass and I am stuck on fitting in a small microwave!

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Annalyn. Do you mean 1/2" reeded, which is wider than the reeding in my light fixtures? Or the 1/4" which seems common but not by my GC's supplier?

No worries about confusing me, Meek95, I need help with many things but I'm such a pro at self-befuddlement that it would be quite difficult for someone to add on. I haven't changed my mind about the glass in 10 hours (pay no attention to the fact I was sleeping for 7) so perhaps I'm getting a little more "clarity" on this subject. I agree about matching and repeating and really look forward to your reveal!

Ranton, those uppers are 30" wide, 19" deep to the front of the overlay doors. The base cabinets are set away from the wall, and granite is 29". Uppers are 19" above the lowers, 18" with light rail. The downside is that there is too little useful space at the edge for the coffee maker, the upside is that I can fit a gazillion plates and glasses in there, and the microwave (18" deep, 13" high, Kitchenaid model KCMS1655, purchased to qualify for rebate) fits easily as would many other models. The design didn't start that way, there was an early hiccup around the angled cabinet; the previous plan was for the micro to get set back into the wall a little. Some white cabinet trim will be added around it before we are done, and I don't really care if lack of ventilation shortens its life as I know I can easily replace it for less than $120. I wish I didn't have to have a micro, but the placement of this one is the least objectionable for my design.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The reeded seems to be the perfect choice! The Taffeta would have competed with the pendant.

A general suggestion when asking for opinions: show a photo of the entire room along with a close-up of the items in question. Often what's not pictured can influence the other choices.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Another vote for reeded, similar to your pendant. It obscures somewhat but doesn't distort. It's very pretty. The way the uppers are now, presumably with no glass at all and mimicking clear, doesn't really add anything, esp. if you don't plan on doing an intentional display. And I'm with you on that, I don't do displays either. :)

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Yes, I think the 1/2 inch reeded would look lovely and make your contractor happy:) You would have a nice blend of some clear glass, with some obscurity. I love, love your pendants, but I think the 1/4 inch reeded may be too heavy for your cabinets. Could someone else weigh-in with thoughts about that?
    This might help--I like the way the wine glass looks:)
    http://www.qualityenclosures.com/cabinet-glass/

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would make sure to try out the different kinds of reeded glass since some obscure more than others.

{{!gwi}}

• rantontoo
    10 years ago

Kksmama: thank you so much for your detailed explanation; I love what you did in this part of the kitchen.

Your solution will not work for me...very big sigh! My new kitchen plans started as a way to make my 30 year-old kitchen more functional than the one I approved as a no-nothing newlywed...it just keeps revealing, much to my constant frustration, how small and poorly planned the original footprint still is! Every decision has been based on the least worst option!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I like the water version more than the reeded (if that is what I am seeing)
    We went with a lightly seeded version - not overly done and only one cabinet

And in the dark with the lights on inside the cabinet

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for helping me to sort this out! I'm going with the reeded. I love the pictures you posted, nosoccermom, they've helped me feel excited about the choice. A2, I actually do prefer the "water" but it would require me to display things like you have, and the only thing I like arranging is my drawers (thanks to woodhollow). May_flowers, you are totally correct that context matters.
    Ranton, have you posted a layout thread? There are some sharp thinkers here who may be able to help. We all make compromises, but we can also benefit from fresh perspectives.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I love the photos of the reeded too, especially the one with muntins/mullions/thingamabobs. Gorgeous! I would never think to combine reeded glass with them.

Is that your door trim in that little peek into the hallway? That's another good reason to stick with traditional.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think it's a lovely choice: Classy and elegant but not over the top.