Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbage Pull-out, foot pedal thingies.

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:33

Hi all!

I remember seeing someone having a foot pedal for their garbage pull-out. I was thinking how clever that is. I'm building my own, so I wanted to ask if this person had bought the mechanisms herself, or if the cabinet came with such a thing?

I like the idea of a spring latch, and while I'm doing it, I may as well go the whole way! :)

Thanks,
C.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbage Pull-out, foot pedal thingies.

that'd sure be nifty! no icky hands touching the cabinet handle.

o

It is the Hafele Footpedal. I think this is for the frameless cabinets but some mod can be done to make it work for framed cabs..

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele trash footpedal

o

Didn't beaglesdoitbetter have such a mechanism? I think Hafele makes one. HTH, Petra

o

I think Lalitha is right, the old post is about the hafele product

Here is a link that might be useful: trash foot pedal

o

Yes, I have this. I have the Hafele one. DW made it work even though our cabs are framed, not frameless. I think it uses a spring but not sure.

o

I had the Hafele in our last house. It used a magnet to hold the door shut. When you pushed the pedal it would break the magnetic connection and pop open. There were bungee cords that connected to the back area of the slides and the front of the bottom of the cabinet if I remember right. So when it's closed the bungees are stretched, relaxed when its open.

o

Hey thanks!
I cannot believe the difference in search results whenI use "trash" vs "garbage".

These are what I was looking for.
Retrofitting Queen that I am!

o

We have two..DH may be getting two more for XMAS for the recycling pullouts too. Post pix if you have any questions on install and I can get his input. Not that YOU would need help but hey, there's a first time for everything:)

o

Does the foot pedal work with soft close?

o

No, it doesn't .

o

We have the Hafele/Halo foot pedal--love it! The company is great to deal with, too. Our original pedal broke, twice. Someone on GW had posted that Hafele had redesigned the pedal (making it stronger).

After our pedal broke the second time, I emailed the the Hafele employee noted in the thread. Though he was no longer with the company, he'd emailed someone at Hafele on my behalf (or gave me the contact info to email myself, I forget). They sent out a new-style pedal (which appears to be a sturdier plastic), and DH replaced it.

The only downside is reminding others to use the pedal, not the handle to open the trash cabinet. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here