Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

rainforest green counters

sixtyohno
12 years ago

My new kitchen starts Monday with demolition! The new cabinets are wheat maple, slab style from Lowes. The counters will be Rainforest green marble which is a Serpentine, much harder than regular marble. The slab is more muted than many of the photos I,ve seen. The floors are cherry wood.

I don't want a Rainforest backsplash. It's just too much Rainforest. Rainforest itself makes a huge statement. Any suggestions for a backsplash, especially behind the cooktop and alongside the chimney style stainless hood. I'm also in love with either green glass knobs, plain ones, or darker oil rubbed.

This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while and I love reading how readers help each other.

Laura

Comments (17)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

A plain subway tile in a cream/tan color that picks up the lightest shades of the marble would let the cabinets and countertops play diva.

Check the undertones: your cabinets are a strong brown/orange, so stay away from the pinkish beiges in favor of yellowish or greenish beige.

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

Im doing green granite countertops that are Amazon Jungle Green - ha - and Im leaning towards either a Subway tiles in FOG glass (lt gray) or white with the Fog as an accent. Im definitely doing something on the plain side as the countertops will play centerstage. My floors will be med gray.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I picture a solid ceramic color pulled from the counters. You can go with a pale neutral, but I'd try for a real color with the RFG. It sounds like you prefer a rich palette.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I just posted pictures of my backsplash to a RFG countertop here and here.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi SSShane, I answered your post on bs and floors, before I read your response to mine. It sounds like we have the same concerns and the similar choices. Yesterday we visited our RFG slab and the fabricator knocked out a big corner so I now have a piece here at home. The cabinets arrived and I am very happy with the way they compliment each other. Cabinet installation begins on Wednesday and the counters will arrive the following Wednesday. Right now we are going through our photos on the computer to find one that we can print on metal 16x20 to use as a center piece in the backsplash over the cooktop.
    Thanks everyone for suggestions and I will post photos after the counters are in for opinions.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi SSSShayne, Rainforest is installed. We are delighted. I can't believe how much I worried about the counters and how much I love them now. I'm sure your green granite will be gorgeous. I ordered the tile for the backsplash and it's very very pale green glass 3X6. Let me know how your plans are going. I'd love to see the floor.
    Laura

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

Sixtyohno,

Beautiful!

I've admired many, many counters here on GW but yours are now my favorite. We are in midst of making decisions for our kitchen. RFG now goes high on our counter material list. How difficult was it to find the shade of green with the veining that you wanted?

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I am looking forward to seeing more when you have added the pale green glass back splash.

OG

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

gorgeous stone!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would check out Ann Sacks Ceramic Basics, because they come in many subtle shades and a number of different field tile sizes. I think the tile needs to have a bit of actual color to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks Ceramic Basics.

• tilenut
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love RFG, would have put it in my master bath if I found slabs as beautiful as yours. Your cherry floors are gorgeous as well. American or Brazilian? If American, remember it's a softer wood and will scratch easily. You might want to protect high traffic ares with mats. It will also darken and develop a richer look in time. Enjoy your new, fabulous kitchen!

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

WOW! Looks great!! Can you post a pic of the counter where you can see the backsplash? What is the name of the tiles for bs?? Thanks!!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the lovely comments.
    orcasgramma- I didn't have any particular stone in mind when we started looking. We were about to buy a gorgeous blue typhoon, but just needed to look a little more and there it was! I fell in love. There were just 2 slabs, consecutively numbered, so we didn't look at any RFG in other places. Just immediately left a deposit. RFG is a serpentine marble. Some yards call it granite. Serpentine marble behaves like a granite, but not quite as strong.
    SSShane-The tiles are Trend Series beige. I don't know why is called beige because it's green. Here's a link to the 3x6. The color on my monitor is darker than real life.
    http://www.buytile.com/home.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20609

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

thanks! You must be loving that its all in and done!! Mine wont be done till end of month. Are you happy with all your choices?? love the backsplash!

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

what is it?

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The center light fixture is the invisible fan, Artemis by George Kovacs. The blades are acrylic and it looks great when it's on. It's not hot wired. We have a remote control and it really moves the air. I like having a fan in the kitchen. Here's a link, but you must scroll down a bit to see it.
    http://m2jlstudio.blogspot.com/2010/11/cool-ceiling-fans.html

• carolml
    12 years ago

Your counters are beautiful. I saw some RFG recently but when they told me it was a marble, I passed them by. What is the difference that I would need to know? You said it "behaves like a granite but not quite as strong". Can you tell me more, please?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County