Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bridgetmalone

white kitchen/soapstone/marble - reveal!

bridgetmalone
10 years ago

Hi Everyone - Finally getting around to sharing some pictures of my finished kitchen! This site has been immensely helpful as we went through this process. Let me know if you have any questions for me regarding what we chose...I agonized over every single choice.

We encountered a number of issues from a decorative pillar/wall that was actually containing radiator pipes wrapped in asbestos (uh oh!)...to a bad cut by the counter top guy resulting in a gap. We worked around everything and we are thrilled with the end product.

The before:

The after:

Comments (54)

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The entire kitchen is beautiful!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Very pretty. Love the soapstone and the glass knobs. Congratulations!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

What a change in the atmosphere. You must be loving the light brightness of the new kitchen. Congratulations!

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Congrats!

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Love it!

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Wow! I love your cabs, counters, mix of hardware, and esp. the eating nook. This is my kind of kitchen!

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

I

• Stephanie S
    10 years ago

Oh, it's lovely! I think the toekick details are especially nice...they really add something. Can I ask what faucet you chose? I really like it.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm always amazed to see the before & after. Your "after" is absolutely beautiful. I love so many of your details....your cabinet feet, the grey grout with the white subway tile, the window ledge, the recessed pantry and those gorgeous countertops! You must be so happy. Congratulations!

• bridgetmalone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone!

Paint color on cabinets is BM super white, walls is SW linen cloth. Paint choices are the worst! Or maybe that is grout choices???

Faucet is Rohl Cinquata in polished nickel.

The shallow pantry was a great choice and my requirement was that it could hold a big box of cheerios, which it does. Anything deeper and I would be losing things.

• heidia
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!!!! Love love love your inset cabs and faucet! So classy!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Always love the darker grout with white subway tiles! Very classy and yes, the feet are such a nice touch for the cabs. (note to self, don't forget to add feet to the sink cabinet specs). Heart your pantry area and also really like the wall paint. That is definitely in the top 5 of things that are hard to pick!

Beautiful job, enjoy your lovely new kitchen!

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

Lovely! I love the clean, classic look and feel of your new kitchen. The red chairs and valence looks great too!

• rach_2013
    10 years ago

It's all beautiful! Just painted my maple cabinets white and am stressing over hardware. Can you please identify your knobs, pulls, and handles? I love the mix together.
    Thanks

• kam76
    10 years ago

Love it! What kind of soapstone did you use? Is it one of the harder varieties?

• renov8r
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Can you show us what the inside of the shallow cabs look like? What is the size of your island? I especially love your red chairs with the white table. Fun.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Bridget - what grout color did you use? Great kitchen. So pretty. Right along the lines of what I am going for as well.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

What a change! Love everything about it. I too am doing the white/soapstone/marble kitchen but it so good to see everyone's different take on the variables. I love your ceiling lights, they are close to what I'm picking and it great to see them up.
    Such a great breakfast table! Darling red chairs. But I have to ask what is the valance fabric? It's perfect.
    Many happy meals to you.

• justretired
    10 years ago

Really pretty.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

And please post more details. I'd also love to know what knobs/pulls you used.

Thanks!

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Very pretty and seems like a 'happy' kitchen! I love the red chairs and the pop of color/fun from the valance.

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Very charming! Restful on the eyes, yet I love the fun pops of color from the chairs and valence. Great job on all of those details!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Beautiful cabs, counters and details. Enjoy your new kit.

• neshanicguy
    10 years ago

Two thumbs up from me. Very nice and inviting! I share your taste. I hope you are enjoying it!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love all of your details. I'd want to be in there cooking all of the time. Thanks for sharing & enjoy it!

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

So pretty! You did a wonderful job choosing all your finishes. I especially love that island countertop. Don't you just want to pet it all day long?

• wags848
    10 years ago

Lovely and charming! Great job!

• rach_2013
    10 years ago

Can you tell me what the hardware is?

• bridgetmalone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments! You are too kind.
    We were trying to keep in the style of our 1927 colonial and I think we did that. Our cabinet maker matched the door profiles on the cabinets to original cabinetry in the house, and our carpenter did an excellent job matching the window casings. The glass cabinet knobs match the door knobs we have throughout the house. Its all in the details right?

Here are some of those details....
    •Countertops: Island is Carrera honed; perimeter is soapstone
    •Cabinets: custom by local shop, lacquer finish (*not recommending this!) in BM Super White
    •Backsplash : The Tile Shop basic ceramic in bone/off white; grout 1/8" lines sanded; "mobe pearl"
    •Stove: existing GE Cafe (love this)
    •Oven: Maytag (this is OK, huge but loud - I guess they all are)
    •Refrigerator: KitchenAid french door (don't love the french door, but counter depth is good amount of space...but haven't had a party yet:) )
    •Vent hood: Broan, looks good, works OK, not too expensive
    •Microwave: Since I have a shallow island I couldn't do a microwave drawer and with kids I really didn't want one. I am happy with my cheap-ish panasonic
    •Sink: Kraus 30" single bowl...huge and really really deep.
    •Faucet: Rohl Cinquata in polished nickel
    •Cabinet hardware: Cliffside artisan (handles & icebox latch); schaub (cup pulls); emtek (glass knobs) all from hardwarehut.com
    •Pendants: Clemson by restoration hardware
    •Flushmounts: schoolhouse by restoration hardware
    •Windows: Marvin, 2 are new and 1 is existing.
    •Floors: refinished oak stained to match rest of 1st floor
    •Table & Chairs: crate and barrel
    •wall color: SW linen cloth
    •Window valance fabric: Braemore Wonderland Pearl
    *Gotta put a plug in here for the breville smart oven! Anyone considering a double oven, check this out instead.

The space is so fresh and clean now. The rest of our house is quite colorful -so this is a departure from our normal choices. Here are some pictures of areas that open into the kitchen:

Mud room/back hall area:
    We just repainted existing cabinetry here and retiled entry and I think it works- cheap solution!

Regarding the soapstone. This was a challenge, I was about ready to give up and use jet mist. But my husband really wanted soapstone and since it was really his only opinion on anything, we kept looking. We are in Milwaukee and soapstone is not very common here, and when it would come in it would sell really fast. So it took me months. I saw a lot of slabs that were very soft. I have 3 little kids so I wasn't going to get anything soft (lets ignore the fact i got white cabinets and marble :) ). I would literally scratch the stone with my fingernail. Didn't make me popular with the stone people, but whatever! The slab I have is sooo hard, but it definitely has more pattern to it than some soapstones. It is from brazil, not sure if it had a name.
    Small bath right off of kitchen:

Stairway:

• bridgetmalone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and island measurements, counter is 23x58 so cabinets slightly smaller.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Everything turned out so lovely. The details, from the casing to the "feet" to the inset end panels are especially lovely.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I so like the hall bathroom, with that wallpaper and tile.

Strange, but took one look at a display at a home show and I did my little BR, but every decision for kitchen has been agony.

I love your floors and the soapstone and the furniture look in kitchen and mudroom.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

So classy. I love love your beautiful combo of soapstone and marble. The best touch is the use of a darker grout.. You backsplash really marries your polished inset cabinets and the soapstone. Such a great job! Enjoy your kitchen!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

SO beautiful. I've come back to this post so many times. I like your darker grout. I haven't picked up my tiles yet and when I do, I'll need to decide on grout. Really considering a pale, creamy silver color and yours is such an inspiration. Why would you not recommend the laquer finish? Is it not holding up? Also, I have your same Rohl faucet (in satin nickel)... did you have any issues getting it to stand up straight? Ours wants to lean to one side. Plumber said it is because of where the lengthening nut is located. Plumber cursed it. Right now it is all boxed back up to send back but I am wondering if we all maybe just failed to see or do the obvious thing...

In any case, great job. You really honored the period of your home.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. The kitchen is stunning, and I really love your window treatment and dining chairs. Congrats on a great remodel!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I came back to look at your kitchen again. I love your daisy tile & wallpaper in the powder room. I am a gardener. I would love to have that in my mudroom.

• cj47
    10 years ago

Sigh, love, love, love your soapstone, it's so beautiful! I'm Waukesha Co. Howdy Neighbor! You did a lovely job, many happy memories to you!

Cj

• katieb2007
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! We are in Wisconsin, also, but near the Twin Cities. I would have loved a white kitchen, but we built a log home, and it just seemed like the wrong look with logs. We did use soapstone, though, and I am loving it.

• bridgetmalone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Belle_va regarding the faucet...same issue! I honestly am not sure how it got fixed, but my husband was there when they did it and he said there were 3 guys looking at it at once. Ours was off the slightest bit but I could totally tell.

Regarding the lacquer, time will tell, but right now I already feel the finish is not durable. Very pretty, but I am kinda scared to touch it. The weather here has significantly dried out since the humid weather at install, so I think that is bringing these issues to light. The cabinet shop should be coming out next week to look at the problem spots, and I am unsure at this point if it is the lacquer or the paint job that is the issue. Its always something!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

So classy and beautiful, yet also warm & inviting...hard to do I think. Love those red chairs! And your powder room...wow, love!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love everything about your kitchen, including the fact that you allow kitchen-related items on the counters. It's a beautiful space!

• olympia776
    10 years ago

It looks really beautiful, congratulations! I love the feet on the cabinets, so beautiful and classic.

May I ask what size cup pull you used from Schaub and also what size the drawers are in the island next to the microwave? I'm planning on using the Schaub pulls and teetering between using the same size throughout or choosing length based on the drawers. Anyway, the sizes you used would be helpful in making my decision because I think yours look perfect.

Really gorgeous kitchen!!!

• olympia776
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by browneyes776 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 9:48

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Lovely kitchen. I'm using similar materials - white cabs (super white), soapstone, etc for a similar aged house. Thanks for sharing ur product selections, as I'm stuck on which faucets, etc.

I have the kraus 30" single bowl earmarked as well. Drain off-center? Are u happy with it? Did u get faucet with extended depth so it flows further into sink? Thanks

I'm getting so lost in getting the detail selections made, if I didn't have demo date and dutchwood already set up for January, I'd seriously consider delaying it for another year.

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! It that a Rohl Cinquanta faucet I see? I got the same one!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Mags438, I am not the OP but I also have a Kraus 30 in under-mount sink (center drain, wish I'd done offset...) and the Rohl Cinquanta faucet. (Once we figured out our own user error and got it to stand straight, all is well...) I did not order the extended spout which is 11 inches on the Rohl. For me, the 9 inch spout is working out fine.. I struggled and hemmed and hawed and did mock ups but decided on the 9in in the end. Alot will depend on the placement of the faucet base on your counters and you can work with your fabricator to make that determination. With a farmhouse sink I would think you would want the extended spout. But depending on how far back you plan to set the faucet, an extended spout might seem too long on a regular under-mount. On another note, FWIW I went from a 9 in deep sink to a 10 in (from the Sterling McAllister to the Kraus) and I can feel it but I am especially short.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your renovated kitchen! Your kitchen is so beautiful! I love the cabinets, the feet on the cabinets, the counters, the backsplash, the appliances, and the hardware chosen.

I also love the hand towel on the handle of the stove.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions