Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwasek03

Kitchen Layout

bwasek03
9 years ago

I'm throwing this out there for a review. This will be the kitchen in the new house we'll be building. Any and all comments are welcome!

I've got the entire house plan in the "Building a Home" forum that you can look at to get an idea of where it will be in relation to the rest of the house.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg100901115322.html?5

Comments (16)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have two suggestions - first, eliminate the angled appliances, and second, avoid having the seats at the island all in a row (diner style).

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Since it is a new build, I'd definitely add more windows. I'd have windows from corner cabinet to corner cabinet. Nobody has ever felt that his/her kitchen had TOO much natural light.

What is the corner situation on the left? I see the corner on the right has the cook top, but what's on the left?

And while having the overall dimensions of the space is helpful, we also really need the dimensions of everything in the room too -- the island, the walkways, the sink, the fridge, the cooktop, etc.

In general, everything looks kinda scrunchy right now, but I'd need the dimensions to confirm that and to offer suggestions. The walkway in the pantry looks VERY tight. The walkway around the island doesn't look as roomy as it could (is it at least four feet wide?), the corners are eating up space that would make things feel more spacious, your prep space between the clean-up sink and stove is smaller than it needs to be, etc.

I had a look at your whole floor plan too, and:

1) You mentioned that you were putting as many windows on the side of the house with the view (the kitchen is on that side, yes?) as you could, but man, all your windows everywhere in the house could be more numerous and/or bigger. The only rooms that have more than a perfunctory allotment windows are the master bedroom and shower. Do you have an upstairs? You seem to have everything you need on this floor, but then you have stairs. If you do not have an upstairs, you should also consider skylights.

2) The office is a truly odd shape. In particular, the corner pointed directly at the seat in the floor plan looks as if it would feel massively in the way. Between how tight the pantry walkway is and how awkward the office is, this definitely should not be your final layout for this space. Surely there is a better plan. I'm going to think about a suggestion for you.

• bwasek03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan -is there a reason why would I want to eliminate the angled appliances? The seating won't be in a row. I'll actually have the raised bar portion rounded. (The design program I'm using won't allow me to draw it with a huge radius like I intend it to be.)

Jillius - I'll get a better pic with dimensions on it sometime later today. I have a 4ft walkway one each side of the island. As for the view, that will actually be on the opposite side of the kitchen. No upper floor, but I won't put in skylights either. (I've heard way too many horror stories about them.) The stairs lead to the basement. The window I have above the sink is 48" and will catch the sun setting in the west. I've shrunk the front porch so that I don't have a 6' overhang above the kitchen window. I'm thinking of flipping the placement of the refrigerator and pantry. That way the fridge is closer to the dining room and the pantry will back up to the foyer. I'll then slide the whole kitchen over to the left and be able to straighten out the wall in the office.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Angles waste space and cost extra. Corner appliances are harder to use than ones on the straight. Raised bars don't give you the benefit of a single large work surface for the island. Speaking of the island, the prep sink is in the way of your landing space from the fridge. It really belongs at the other end so that you can have the whole long length as your prep location.

As a whole, without dimensions, the best I can say is that I concur that it feels too tight for what you're trying to cram into it.

• bwasek03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

live wire - I wanted a raised bar so that I can hide some of the mess when entertaining since this will be open to the dining and living rooms. I'm not against using a full flat top. Which do you prefer?

So I re-did some things, and put together a rudimentary drawing. Take a look at it now with dimensions.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Here's a suggestion:

Your garage appears to be massive, so what I did was move the staircase over so the stairs running from the garage to that landing are actually in the garage. This allowed me to widen the walkway in the pantry to a comfortable 36" and add several feet to the width of the office. This meant I could extend the pantry all the way to the exterior wall, which makes it quite a luxurious size, gives it a window (so it won't be so claustrophobic), and squares off the office.

I also agreed with other people on your other post that it was a little odd to have a door to the deck from the master bathroom and that the laundry room would be better with a window. So I flipped your master suite and laundry room to be an exact mirror image the other way. Now the door to your deck is from the bedroom (more standard), and there is a window in the laundry room (and it's easier to vent the dryer out). This also gained you a substantial hall closet, which is always nice. I find the more storage a house is built with, the neater the house stays.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Your new hand drawing has the overall kitchen dimensions at 20' x 11' instead of the 19'8" x 10'8" that the original showed. Which is correct?

• bwasek03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that puts a whole new perspective on it, and I actually like it a lot better now. Thanks!

The kitchen will be 20' x 11'. Once again, the program I used can be a little difficult to work with. The measurements I put in don't always work out to the dimensions that it displays.

The only problem I see is now that the stairs are in the garage, that puts the dimension from the big garage door to the stairs at only 20'. My truck is 20' long, so that wouldn't work. But I can always take out a little from the mud room to give me enough room to park the truck there. Or I could just have the wife park her car on that side, and put the truck to the left of it. Or I could even shift the entire garage forward a couple feet.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Happy to help!

If you took the space from the mud room, wouldn't the stairs from the garage not line up with the landing?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

When you change the layout as I suggested, what is the new width of the office? I ask because if you can give even one more foot of that width to the pantry, you could add another row of shelves down the other side of its walkway and double your storage. But the pantry is already quite large, so this is only worth it if the office would still stay a nice size even if it lost a foot of width.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Bumping up to encourage you to reconsider the corner stove and placement of prep sink. Read here for a while and see what you need for good work flow. Many here prefer to have an uninterrupted work space on the island. A nice deep sink will hide the dishes.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

You've made the entire kitchen into your prep zone, then stuck the cleaning zone into the middle of it.

Try this: print out your plan. Get a blue marker, and trace all your steps as you fetch food from the fridge, freezer and pantry. Show how you take this food to the prep sink, rinse it, chop it, add spices, etc. Be sure to include every step you take to get something, be it a bowl, a knife, salt, paper towels, etc. I'm the same drawing, use a red pen showing the path of someone who is not cooking, but coming into the kitchen to do common tasks. Include opening the dishwasher diagonally into the aisle to load or unload glasses, rinsing plates or hands, getting a glass to fill, getting a beverage from the fridge or sink, throwing something into the trash, etc.

Now explain to me how you do not end up killing each other.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

"Now explain to me how you do not end up killing each other." LOL, Marcolo!

But he makes a good point. You'll be doing lots of criss-crossing to make a meal. Someone cleaning up or setting the table will be in the way of someone making dinner. And, as others have pointed out, putting appliances in corners is an inefficient use of space.

How about something like this:

You've got a clean-up zone on one end and multiple prep areas at the other end.

Here's a variation of the above with a cabinet-doored pantry between fridge and ovens

The pantry opening would be like this:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Omaha Home Builders Curt Hofer & Associates

[Transitional Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2112) by Fort Myers Design-Build Firms Castle Harbour homes

This works because the cab box means you don't need to accommodate the otherwise necessary 4.5" thick pantry walls.

btw, if you are leaning towards putting appliances in the corners to avoid dealing with corner cabs, I took care of that for you. I voided each corner base in favor of drawers on each side.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

very nice Lisa - bravo! much better use of space

and no one gets killed...we hope!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I was hoping someone would pull out the hidden pantry pics! They're efficient, they're cool, and in case violence does break out, they double as a panic room.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I've never seen a pantry like that before -- I love it! I've always wanted one of those bookcases where you pull a book and bam -- a secret room is revealed!