Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing backsplash - not grouted

Posted by RodNDonna (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 13:23

When updating our counter top to quartz - we were required to replace the backsplash tile.

The original tile was removed and drywall replaced and primed.

The new tile is simple Lowe's stock white subway tile 3 rows up, topped with a 2 inch bull-nose row. As it sounded pretty darn simple as far as backsplashes go, we hired a 'tile guy' advertised in kiji.

This fellow decided he only needed spacers horizontally and just winged it vertically leaving huge (and I mean HUGE) variations in the spacing and far outside the requirement for unsanded grout. To add to the matter - he did not think about where to start (over the stove where it runs up) and we ended up with numerous 'after the fact' odd cuts ...

When he came back to grout, we paid him for his time and told him it was not 'what we were looking for'

My question - can we easily remove tiles which have been set but not grouted? We really don't want to have to have the drywall redone again ... like really really don't want to ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing backsplash - not grouted

You can take them down, but not necessarily without damage to the drywall. Do it sooner rather than later and see how it looks. If it's just gouges and scrapes, then it can easily be repaired by patching with drywall compound. Maybe a lot of drywall compound.

o

In my experience, it is easiest to take down drywall with the tile and put up new drywall again.

o

Oh dear, so sorry. I think it should come down. We had this happen and the new tile guy took down the former tile contractors work and it did come down ok before it was grouted. We wasted a huge amount of money and were sick about it. It was a very expensive tile (for us) and the guy didn't use spacers and it was lipping like crazy. There were huge differences in the grout lines on the tiles we left up but the ones on the feature wall were really awful so we took those down. We had to order more tile which looked completely different than the original batch since it was handmade and it's still up there to this day. It still makes me sigh in disgust sometimes at the audacity of some people who call themselves professionals and charge a huge amount of money for a crap job. We ended up paying him and a new tile person plus paid for the additional tile.I feel your pain : /

o

Thanks for sharing your experience SaraKat - I figured I couldn't be the only one this has happened to.

I think it's true when they say Misery loves company .. sigh ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here