Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annettacm_gw

Kitchen Reveal! My 2nd time! From white to...

annettacm
9 years ago

My first reveal was back in 2006 in our old house (though I may not have revealed until 2008, when good realty pictures were taken). I'm so blessed to get to do this again. :)

I have loved this site since 2004! I feel a bit guilty getting rid of a WHITE kitchen, but thermofoil cabinets that were falling apart isn't quite the same, and I was ready for a change. Thanks for letting me eavesdrop on all your conversations for a decade!

Cabinets: Mid Continent, Maple, Briarwood with Black Glaze, Allen door
Counter: New Venetian Gold
Backsplash: Jeffrey Court, Vintage Collection, Antique Lace 3 x 12
(Antique White grout)
Floor: refinished Red Oak with Nutmeg stain
Sink: Blanco Silgranit Diamond Low-Divide in Anthracite
Hood: Zephyr Tempest II
Range: GE Cafe Dual Fuel
Microwave: GE Cafe Convection
Refrigerator (old)... Samsung
DW (old) ... Kitchen Aid
UC lights: LED pucks

Before: {{gwi:1962456}}

After:
{{gwi:1962457}}

Before - view from foyer:
{{gwi:1962458}}

After - view from foyer:
{{gwi:1962459}}

Before - stove wall
{{gwi:1962460}}

After - stove wall:
{{gwi:1962461}}

Before - Refrigerator Wall:
{{gwi:1962462}}

After - Refrigerator wall, with the OTR microwave that was supposed to go over the range. I switched at the last minute for a hood, and just moved the cabinet and micro to where my organizer cabinet was supposed to be:
{{gwi:1962463}}

Before - view from dining room:
{{gwi:1962464}}

After - view from dining room:
{{gwi:1962465}}

Before: {{gwi:1962466}}

After -- the organizer cabinet (that was specially sized) was changed from going next to the fridge to being flipped upside down and we added feet for a "furniture" look:
{{gwi:1962467}}

Before - backsplash:
{{gwi:1962468}}

After - backsplash:
{{gwi:1962469}}

{{gwi:1962470}}
{{gwi:1962471}}

{{gwi:1962472}}

{{gwi:1962473}}

This post was edited by annettacm on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 15:45

Comments (27)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your kitchen looks so inviting! That is a pretty cabinet color. I noted from the first two photos how much better the fridge looks when it isn't hanging out in space as they so often are in older kitchens. The microwave looks as if it was always meant to be where you moved it. Love those mixer lifts--want want want. Glad the installed LED pucks were included in a photo--our probable cabinet maker uses LED strips because they are easier to install, but the pucks have a more "planned" appearance (although, I'd be the only one to notice them...) The beveled backsplash tile adds a lot of character, but the outlet covers not being recessed would bother me. That is probably just a personal quirk, though. Those stools look very comfortable--bet everyone is going to want to hang out in your kitchen. Congratulations on the great remodel!

Could you add the info for the stools? I would also like to learn how high they are. Thanks.

• annettacm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are 30" high stools from Big Lots (inexpensive, really... two came in a box for $99). I agree about the outlets, but it really doesn't bother me. For the most part, unless you are looking from the side, as one picture shows, you don't notice it. By the time my kitchen is lived in, it'll be so messy that will be the least of my issues. :) Thanks for the compliments!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So much better! Your microwave by the fridge makes a lot more sense and your island is so pretty. The wood cabinets are perfect with your fireplace and the granite looks beautiful with the backsplash! (And I am not a granite person LOL)

Very nice redo and I'm so glad you shared it with all of us :)

• DeeV78
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! You've done a great job.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Love it. Great choice with putting MW where it is and opt for a hood.
    Could you tell me how wide your kitchen is? Trying to figure out whether this layout may work in my kitchen.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! Looks like your experience with remodel #1 paid off ... everything looks perfect! Love your microwave set-up. I wanted to do that in my own kitchen, but couldn't squeeze it into the space. Jealous!

Is that a granite remnant on that little bookshelf thing with the cubbies? Is it part of your cabinet install or a separate piece of furniture? I love it!

• annettacm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just edited to explain... I forgot that was my favorite part! That cabinet was custom sized to go next to the fridge, but when we decided to move the micro there, we had to come up with something. We decided to flip it over, add a base and feet and put the same beadboard we have on the island on the side of that, and it looks like furniture! We had them template granite on it as well. Worked out great!

• sprout26
    9 years ago

So glad you straightened out that island! Kept wanting to nudge it in the before photos.
    Nice and warm, great gathering spot.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"That cabinet ... we decided to flip it over, add a base and feet and put the same beadboard we have on the island on the side of that, and it looks like furniture!"

Brilliant! I want one!!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Big Lots. That is where I bought the stools that are currently in my kitchen! Yours look much more comfy though. Flipping the cabinet was really a smart idea. Something to tuck away should I need a solution when we get to remodeling.

Laughed about sprout's comment about nudging the island--me, too. ;)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

GREAT job!!!!! Smart changing to a hood, and the new cabinet layout next to the fridge (with the organizer cab moved to its new "home") seems like a better way to go in general as well. :)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Really like the hood and the mw location. The cabinets are beautiful.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Annettacm, I love your warm and inviting kitchen with so much cabinet space! I love the pull-out for the pots and the lids! What width is that? Is that a separate item you purchased or was it offered by Mid Continent? I love the New Venetian Gold Granite Counters! I have always loved this granite and have 4 sample pieces of it from 2009 and keep going back and forth between this granite versus a few other whiter ones versus Marble. I love how warm the granite is and how it does with so many cabinet colors. I am so glad you used this granite to remind me how beautiful it is.

I have a GE Café Gas Range that looks like yours but yours is nicer but I love mine. Yours look so beautiful with your new range hood!

I love the addition of the crown molding. The LED puck lights worked out so well and give such wonderful light! Do you know what temperature they are (2700K vs. 3000K vs. 3500K, etc.)?

I love your island and I love the size of your kitchen and all the light that you have. What temperature and recessed lights did you use?

What were your thermofoil cabinets before the renovation?

Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Love the changes you made! I adore the cabinet color and the backsplash.

And Go Irish! (saw the cups)

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! Brilliant idea to flip your organizer and turn it into "furniture." The island seems bigger and more efficient now. All of your elements blend well together. You must be very pleased.

• rpets
    9 years ago

As a white kitchen lover, I must tell you - your new kitchen is amaaaazing!! Love everything! Enjoy :)

• Lisa
    9 years ago

I just love the combination of your cabinets, counters, and backsplash. They work so well together. Love the way you changed your island. I also like how you repositioned your microwave. I have a similar layout to you (the L section and island) and my old kitchen had a wall oven/microwave where your microwave is. I moved mine in my remodel to the island to accommodate a double oven. While I do like it there, I think I preferred it by the fridge. I would've really liked it how yours is (with a counter underneath). Something I noticed...in your old kitchen was the cabinet above the fridge not as deep as normal upper cabinets? Mine wasn't either! That always bugged me! Great find on the barstools and genius on that piece that you made into furniture. Great job!

• caseykees
    9 years ago

Love it! It looks so inviting!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Wow - what a dramatic change. Your kitchen is beautiful, one of my favorites & I'm a white kitchen gal too. Your granite & larger format backsplash highlight the beauty of the wood. Love your little organization cabinet. Topping it with the granite makes it extra special.
    Very happy for you & I know you must be thrilled!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, that looks great! From blah to fabulous :D

• annettacm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynn2006 - The Pot and Pan pull out is by Rev-A-Shelf, and not sold by Mid Continent. It fits in a 24" wide cabinet. I think they also have a skinnier one. I love it. And the LED UC lights are 2700. I wish I would have done a few more, but they are the perfect color. The overhead recessed lights came with the house, just regular lighting. Ideally, I would have changed them, but it wasn't in the budget. They are not really in the best layout, but it was too much trouble to do anything about it.

myfoursons -- If you look closely, you'll notice that our KA Mixer in the cabinet is what my kids call "Notre Dame Blue". That was the only color my husband would allow.

lcskaisgir -- yes, I'm so happy to get a deeper cabinet above the refrigerator and pull that away from the corner. Makes such a difference!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Oh, how beautiful! The KitchenAid cabinet -how easy is it to fllip up and down? I think that something like that has to be on my must-have list for when we build our retirement home. Great job all around!!
    Edie

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

That wood is gorgeous!.

It's incredible how you took that kitchen from nice to very sophisticated.

You did a fantastic job.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

the whole kitchen is beautiful - so much better. Thank goodness you straightened that island... what was the deal with that angle?

I love the color of your floor - I'd make a note of it if I though it would ever be possible for me to have new floors again. (ok, maybe if I win the lottery!)

And I saw the pig!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I love the warmth of your new kitchen. I like the contrast between the white in the backsplash and window trim and the brown wood cabinets.

What a great idea to put your OTR microwave next to the refrigerator. That would be a great snack/coffee station in my house!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!! Love the elegant look but yet it is homey. Love the touches of black and the stainless appliances. It all fits so perfectly.

The backsplash is beautiful and the 3 x 12 size looks fantastic. (I have the same tile in the 3 x 6 size and the coloring of the Antique Lace color and beveled design adds so much.)

Again, very nice and enjoy, especially that tile which I guarantee you will continue to love more as time goes on!

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

Nice. Really really nice. I just did a white kitchen myself but it is good to see non-white done so darn well.

I think what makes it so appealing to me are the clean lines in the cabinet construction, and the nice color blend between your stain, granite and backsplash. It flows perfectly with the family room as well.

Your experience shows!