Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhs_60

Need kitchen designer Boston North

dhs_60
9 years ago

I'd like to refresh our kitchen and need help. The folks I've talked to don't seem interested unless I'm buying a bunch of cabinets and doing a Houzz-type high-end remodel. Can someone recommend a designer whose primary business is design and advice (not sales)? I'm north of Boston (Melrose, Reading, Wakefield, Stoneham area).

Comments (11)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Hi Rick,
    I used a place in Malden called Windsor Architectural Woodworking. Mike M was my kitchen designer. He did my kitchen a few months ago. We also just had him do 2 large apartments, and now just starting a third for us and also doing a friends house around the corner.
    I did go to a couple of other places prior to choosing Mike but found him very easy to work with, really nice. Listens and not pushy at all. He also did not try to sell us everything under the sun. I have a small condo kitchen - not an unlimited budget and he worked with me and did a beautiful job. I highly recommend him.

Here is a link that might be useful: WindsorWoodworking

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I found only two independent kitchen designers in the Boston area. I wasn't good enough for one of them. The other had a really ugly portfolio. Everyone else works for a cabinet shop.

• dhs_60
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jancy: Thanks so much! I'll give them a shot.

marcolo: Thanks for the report. Disheartening, but matches my experience so far. I wasn't good enough either for several--just chopped liver I guess!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Go to the website for the Boston Design Center. I believe they list designers, including some with kitchen specializations.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

You're Welcome Rick -
    Mike did not make me feel like"chopped liver" at all and I have a very small kitchen only 10 cabinets. Actually we just met him again this morning for another kitchen at my boyfriends.
    Another thing I really liked about him is that not only did he have some great ideas but has lots of patience! I'd give him a call and see how you feel when you talk or meet up with him. If it doesn't work out then just one more to cross off your list! Good Luck

• TB151
    9 years ago

Are you redoing cabinets at all? If so you must talk with my cabinetmaker. While he's not a designer he can do some incredible things and is extremely cost effective.

• CTN30
    9 years ago

Are you looking for someone to help you make purchases and/or hook you up with specific vendors? Someone to make recommendations that are pure aesthetic design? Someone to recommend re-configurations? A "project manager"?

I ask because we just finished a "refresh" (I posted a reveal thread), and we basically hired a contactor to actually do the work, but we made all of the aesthetic decisions and orders ourselves.

I probably would have wanted a dedicated KD if we had gutted the whole kitchen, but since we were just refreshing, I wasn't sure what their real role would be.

• dhs_60
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jancy: I met with Mike M. just now--easy to talk to and listened. He's coming up with a solution. Thanks again.

TB151: can you give me your cabinetmaker's name?

CTN30: This project is adding storage to unused space. It's not that complicated and you're right, once I choose the cabinetry my contractor can easily handle it.

Thanks to all for the replies.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

That's great Rick~ You're so welcome. He really is a nice guy and I do hope everything works out perfectly for you.

• TB151
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response!!! His name is Warren Bain, at Northeast Woodworking in NH.

Dont judge by the website :-)
    http://www.northeastwoodworkingproducts.com/

Samples from his work on our kitchen

dhs_60 thanked TB151