Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpeg_gw

Cream glazed custom cabinetry photos

mpeg
15 years ago

Here is a photo one local custom cabinet maker sent me of a kitchen they did primarily in a creamy glazed finish with a few darker wood pieces added in to one side. Any opinions on this kitchen and cabinet style would be appreciated. I think it is sort of a rustic elegant look that I really like. I just want to hear honest opinions though. If I were to do this what kind of granite would you suggest. I love the backsplash as is.

I know I don't have nearly this nice of a space. But as it is a small space I am thinking the lighter finish might really be my best bet. Using darker pieces if possible as an accent or not at all if I can't work it in.

">

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I personally love that look. I am doing a diy remodel of my kitchen and am painting my cabinets a creamy color and will do an umber glaze over them. My island is painted black. I'm having my granite counters installed this week - the color is baltic brown. I may get bold and post photos at a later date! I would be very happy if my glazed cabinets turn out looking like your inspiration photo.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Mpeg, I think is nice, but I think the important thing is that YOU like it. If you love this kitchen, go for it! I have a friend doing a similar look right now. She will have a stained island. For countertops, I think New Venetian Gold, Santa Cecelia or Giallo Ornamental would be great.

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

Hello again mpeg!

Seems as though you are progressing. (I've run into snags again! : )
    We had thought about doing the similar as above. (Our island in a wood grain matching the dark glaze in the cream cabintry) I personally like it but as kelleg mentioned I think you need to like it : ) And all the granite she named above are the lighter ones like my summer : ) In our original design we also had the elevation of the cabinets staggering as your picture above LOL. It appears as this custom cabinet maker does nice work...it has been a bear doing our crown molding and figuring out our panel for our "furniture piece"

• kmgard
    15 years ago

I love, love, love that kitchen, BUT I would never put it in my existing home. It would be way too ornate for the style of the house and my belongings. However, if I were to build my dream home and had unlimited funds with which to decorate, I would love a kitchen like that! The backsplash is beautiful, too. I agree with kelleg-- what's important is that it suits YOUR taste and YOUR home.

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Honestly I love this look. Since I am redoing my living room. My furinture all being 15 years old plus. I don't see why I can't have this style.

downsy,

Please do post photos. I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I love this look too~

kelleg, I think all the graites you mentioned would work. This one seems to have brown tones to tie in with the backspash.

lovetocook9,

I am really leaning towards this. First I think one thing then another but always come back to a look like this. I really like this. But you should see the glazing and distressing in person. To see just one door is kind of scarey. Has anyone thought this with a custom glaze finish? But I have an actual door from this kitchen in my home that they messed up. But, You put it all together with the granite and it is a beautiful look.

kmgard,

Honestly I love this look. Since I am redoing my living room. My furinture all being 15 years old plus. I don't see why I can't have this style. Doing all hardwood living, kitchen and dining area. A nice area rug. Leaning towards a chenille sofa. The only thing is I did pait my living room BM Providence Olive. Now I'm kind of wishing I had painted a soft gold tone. But I think I couuld mixe the two colors from room to room and be ok.

That gorgeous chandelier......would love to have a down sized version over my dining table.

• PRO
    15 years ago

mpeg - could you do me a favor and post a close up of the cabinet door that you have from that kitchen above? I would love to see the detail in their glazing technique. Or if you would like to email it - let me know and I'll give you my email address. I did some heavy distressing on my test piece and decided it was "too distressed". I am still painting all the cabinets cream and haven't gotten to the glazing part yet - so I am interested in seeing a close up of the cabinet door you have. Thanks

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

downsy,

Sure thing. Why don't you give me your email and in the meantime I will snap a photo for you.

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keep in mind. Thes are knotty alder glazed and distressed. That makes them look a little rustic...painted. Not sure if I would do the knotty wood or the distressing. I'll have to think about that. I decided to post close-ups of the glazing so I could get some feedback. Do I used the knotty wood and the distressing or not. If I don't does that change the look signifigantly? Less rustic more elegant?

">
    ">
    ">

• teddas
    15 years ago

I am doing this exact look with Bertch/Legacy cabinets called Parchment. I love love the look! I am putting travertine flors and maybe Lady Dream granite. I think in this kitchen the island is too small and should be brown like the thing beside it to the right.

Thanks for posting this!!!
    I will try to post a picture of my door.

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teddas,

I would love to see you bertch/legacy doors. Please post if you have time.

Thanks!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

This is so a matter of personal taste but since you asked... I'll be the dissenting voice here. I really like the two colors together and I definitely think it can work in a small space. I do think the door style and all the bells and whistles are a bit too much for a small space. Please keep in mind that I personally prefer clean lines which skews my opinion. I just find the layers of moulding and corbels too fussy. Again... just my own taste.

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla,

I think I am more into a look like this but if I had one concern it would echo exactly what you said, Is this too much for my small space? Too much molding etc.? Though I do like it, this is a much larger kitchen than mine. Wish I could try them out first.......LOL.

I like honest opinions.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Here is a door style from the Legacy line in Bertch that is similar to the look you want but a little less ornate. I don't know much about the line or pricing but they have a nice array of door styles.

{{!gwi}}

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla,

That is a nice looking door style. I'll have to check out that line of caninets. I don't know that I've ever looked into them.

• teddas
    15 years ago

I personally believe( LOL) that this look does look nice in a bigger kitchen but that said, I knew I wanted the cabinet as soon as I saw it. I am going darker on my island than the brown in the OP pic. I also have a larger kitchen with high ceilings. I also love the applied molding to the cabinet door versus the door style above.

Here is my door sample and the wood is maple.
    {{!gwi}}

• PRO
    15 years ago

Oh Thank you mpeg for posting your photos and your's too teddas! I will begin my faux finish this week and will save this to my favorites!!!

• msrose
    15 years ago

teddas - I can't wait to see your finished kitchen. I love the door sample.

Laurie

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I also love the door sample and can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teddas,

What is the finish caled on your bertch cabinet door. I went to their web site and didn't find anything that looks like that. I think that will really make a neat looking kitchen! Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for posting the picture.

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

mpeg
    Please tell me the name of your granite asap.

I have ivory cabinets with no glaze, I did not want the glaze because my kitchen is not that big. I am not able to have an island, but I am going to have a cherry or some sort of dark table and chairs.

I have been so confused on which counter to choose. I first was going with Giallo Ornamental, but at the last minute decided on New Venetian. I like them both and I aways have second thoughts. It will be installed in about a week and a half.

kelleg
    which do you like better, New venetian or Giallo ornamental? I also choose ogee edge, but I am thinking of changing to 1/4 bullnose. (Hate all these decisions)

• mpeg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

organic_nettie,

This is not my kitchen only an inspiration. I only wish!

I did find out the name of the granite from the custom cabinetmaker. It is Mascarello. It must be a lighter version of this granite because it doesn't look as dark as the samples that I have seen. Also pictures can be deceiving.

Hope this helps! I undertand what you are going through. These are big expensive decisions

• danncd
    13 years ago

If you want the best quality custom cabinets check out www.thebestcabinets.com. The company uses only the best quality materials and they can customize just about anything you want. They use high grade 3/4" plywood for the caseworl, Blum Hinges and undermount softclose drawer tracks. The drawers are the best in the industry 5/8" thick solid maple dovetail drawers, 1/2" maple hardwood plywood bottoms. They specialize in high end finishes such as Glazes, Rub Thru's, Distressing, Die Stains, Crackle Finishes, Multistep stain and lacquers finishes. They build a frameless line and also a framed line. They also do full inset doors with beaded faceframes. They never use staples and use pocket screws and glues with no added formaldehyde.
    They also specialize in Green Products such as FSC Certified Lumber, Bamboo Cabinets, no added formadehyde plywood and other uch items.They aslo build a contemporary line and offer High Gloss Finishes and Glass Doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Custom Cabinets