Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another refacing question

Posted by hpny2 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 13:06

Our refacing materials are shipped and on their way. So I wanted to get started on prep work. A couple of questions - 1) Cleaning the cabinet boxes - I've washed them but I understand they should be cleaned with some kind of degreaser. Some sites say use TSP, others say denatured alcohol, others say ammonia and water, my supplier says to clean them well with anything that will remove grease. I am a little confused. Since we've had these cabinets for 28 years, they probably have built up some grease, despite my cleanings. I know for that veneer to stick, they have to be free of dirt, dust, wax and grease so I want to use whatever will work the best (with the least amount of fumes and mess) 2) On the area near my dishwasher and sink, there are some small spots where the finish on the frames has been exposed to water and steam, so the finish looks like it is down to bare wood. These are small spots, normal wear for its age but I read that the veneer will not stick to bare wood. Should I sand them, then apply a coat of polyurethane? I thought that if I did that, let it dry well, then lightly scuffed it with sandpaper, it might help with the adherence. Thoughts, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another refacing question

TSP and rinse. Then mineral spirits with steel wool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here