Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annsch , I have a question for you

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:03

if you don't mind.

What are the materials used for the cove structure around your range?

It looks like the trim and (at least part of) the columns are wood and the front is similar to the walls, if I am not mistaken.

Is it a drywall?

For some reason, I am thinking it was all plywood covered by sheetrock, but I know nothing about this stuff, LOL.

How was the curved part done? Is it something like flexible plywood?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annsch , I have a question for you

Hi Eleena. I am going to see if I can dig up some of my old "building out the hood" pix for you. The materials are, I believe, plywood, chicken wire, and plaster---lots of plaster...I will go dig now.:)

o

First off I aplogize for all different sizes of pictures, not sure what's going on. :(

Okay so here is the first step, builders built a plywood box frame with dimensions guided by the soon to be installed hood:

Photobucket

2. "Chicken wire"--for lack of a better word--box wrapped with this wire, with some kind of black paper underneath. Wire is to provide something for the plaster to "grab on to":
Photobucket

3. applied plaster---3 coats---took forever to dry...
Photobucket

Finished product:
Photobucket

Corbels were pre-made and bought separately. They, too, are made out of plaster.

HTH!!!!

o

Oh, yes, thank you very much!!!

This is exactly what I needed to know.

I cannot believe you documented every step!

Did you do this with other parts of the kitchen?

I so very impressed.

o

No problem. I happened to take pictures of the process because someone here on GW was asking about the step-by-step process, so I decided to document it for them and quite frankly wasn't sure, myself, how the whole thing was going to unfold...:) I am very happy with it.

o

BTW, was it expensive to build this structure, if you don;t mind me asking?

I have brick walls around my cooking area and I am wondering if I would be better off taking them down or plastering over them.

It seems that all I need to do is attach the "chicken wire" and apply 3 coats of plaster. I like the look but if it means $$$$, I may have to reconsider.

o

Sorry, I truly have no idea about cost. My guess is that the labor is the most expensive part as it takes someone who KNOWS how to work with plaster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here