Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_halfacre

Brown option instead of Virginia Mist Honed Granite

If I have earthy/natural wicker/green fern-plant type tones as the decor and a mushroom colored cabinet I'm thinking maybe a more brown color countertop.

Is there a granite with little/no movement that may fit the bill?

I looked at Gialo Ornamental but...meh? Maybe I need something with some umph and not all dirt colored items, lol?

Comments (7)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Depends on the Gialo! I have the dark and yes that would be too much brown for you. But, it comes in a light version and that might work.

Can you post pictures of your mushroom colored cabinets? I would probably go lighter. Have you looked into Quartz?

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should just stay with the Va Mist. I'm really liking the idea of it but afraid :)

The Kraftmaid Mushroom painted cabinets are a fairly new color for Kraftmaid. I am having a hard time finding pictures other than KMaid's site. Especially finished cabinet photos.

We're just now getting the house under roof so I have nothing but my framed out kitchen with its 7! :) windows. Happy, happy.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

If you aren't opposed to just a bit of movement, I think something like a Sea Pearl or Taj Mahal quartzite would look lovely with mushroom colored cabinets. These stones tend to have a bit of beige, brown, grey, and sage-y green tones, depending on the slab. I just installed Brown Fantasy (marble/quartzite) in an antiqued finish and it has touches of grey/brown/sage/mauve on a mostly white background. It has movement, but in a very soft and unbusy way. It sounds like you will have lots of light in your kitchen, so going with a dark countertop (VA mist) won't suck the light out of your space, but I fear that something brown might make everything look a bit drab or dingy, even in a bright space.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I saw something called "antique brown" when I was shopping. Would this be too brown?

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Brown Honed

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I was just going to suggest honed Antique Brown as well. I think that's what Marcolo used in his gorgeous kitchen and it looks really stunning. I wish I could find the post..

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

third the antique brown. leathered finish has a very organic look, and is entirely different than polished, look at both.

• Stephanie Halfacre
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"It sounds like you will have lots of light in your kitchen, so going with a dark countertop (VA mist) won't suck the light out of your space, but I fear that something brown might make everything look a bit drab or dingy, even in a bright space."

Do you like Va Mist with lots of light and mushroom cabs? Is that too overdone?

Pottery Barn store had Va Mist and it was beautiful!!! with all those wicker baskets and such in the store. LOVED it. Looked very natural.

And I found a few google images of the antique brown. I'm wondering if as stated above the brown countertop with hickory floors and leather couch and dark dining table may be too much brown. I posted on here for new construction kitchen so you can see a photo of the kitchen framed out if you like.