Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

White slab doors...Painted? Laminate? MDF?

shannonaz
11 years ago

I am having some trouble deciding what direction to take in our upcoming remodel. I currently have a transitional style kitchen with white catalyzed-finish cabs. I love my current kitchen but our new home calls for a slightly sleeker modern style. I like rustic elements so it will be more eclectic but sleeker than I would normally go for.

I have decided on white slab lower cabinets with edge pulls and wood shelves instead of uppers. The hood and fridge/oven will be slightly rustic wood. Floor will be wood. I am picturing IKEA cabs, but they will probably be custom. Counters will be white but I am struggling a little with that as well-it's a an open kitchen with a large island and I am a little wary of such a huge expanse of white counter...

I never thought I would go for laminate cabinets but the more I look at pictures and at cabinet doors the more I feel like painted slab doors won't look quite right. They look cheaper to me for some reason, even though I adore painted wood and IKEA laminate cabs are actually quite inexpensive.... I have attached some cabinet inspiration photos. The first kitchen is a major inspiration-I love it! The second pic is sleeker and more glamorous than what I am going for but shows the mix of wood and shiny white. The last picture features cabinets with edge pulls. I am not drawn to the more modern/contemporary hardware and I would like to go for a "no hardware" look. I really like the edge pulls!

So...what do you guys think? What type of cabinet will best achieve this look? Since there will be no white upper cabinets I feel like I can go with a shiny laminate and not look too shiny overall...?

Eclectic Kitchen design by Detroit Interior Designer Green Apple Design

Contemporary Kitchen design by St Louis Kitchen And Bath Graniterra

Contemporary Kitchen design by Los Angeles Interior Designer Elizabeth Dinkel