Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White slab doors...Painted? Laminate? MDF?

Posted by shannonaz (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 12:59

I am having some trouble deciding what direction to take in our upcoming remodel. I currently have a transitional style kitchen with white catalyzed-finish cabs. I love my current kitchen but our new home calls for a slightly sleeker modern style. I like rustic elements so it will be more eclectic but sleeker than I would normally go for.

I have decided on white slab lower cabinets with edge pulls and wood shelves instead of uppers. The hood and fridge/oven will be slightly rustic wood. Floor will be wood. I am picturing IKEA cabs, but they will probably be custom. Counters will be white but I am struggling a little with that as well-it's a an open kitchen with a large island and I am a little wary of such a huge expanse of white counter...

I never thought I would go for laminate cabinets but the more I look at pictures and at cabinet doors the more I feel like painted slab doors won't look quite right. They look cheaper to me for some reason, even though I adore painted wood and IKEA laminate cabs are actually quite inexpensive.... I have attached some cabinet inspiration photos. The first kitchen is a major inspiration-I love it! The second pic is sleeker and more glamorous than what I am going for but shows the mix of wood and shiny white. The last picture features cabinets with edge pulls. I am not drawn to the more modern/contemporary hardware and I would like to go for a "no hardware" look. I really like the edge pulls!

So...what do you guys think? What type of cabinet will best achieve this look? Since there will be no white upper cabinets I feel like I can go with a shiny laminate and not look too shiny overall...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White slab doors...Painted? Laminate? MDF?

Oh my gosh, I LOVE that second one!! I think the laminate looks great in that style, like Poggen - Pohl, which seems VERY expensive.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here