Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

pretty sure undermount sink is coming down!

ardcp
9 years ago

so i was the whacko that did so much research about undermount failure that i decided to go top mount in granite. got the silgranite top mount and gave it to my granite place before install. install day comes and the counter is cut for under mount! after a long conversation with the installer who swore it would not fail and they have no problems with failures, i let them proceed against my gut instinct.
6 months later: i am washing dishes, hear a loud pop and realize that the back left corner of my sink has a gap. i can feel goop when i run my finger on the space. i can barely see what's under the sink but it looks like a small shim is in the corner (maybe the pop is it cracking) and i see nothing else holding it up.
yay, me i am the proof that under mount failure happens!
i will update after the granite place comes out.
my big question to trebruchet or oldryder is will my silgranite be damaged if i have them top mount it after it has been under mounted? my cabinet space looks too small to me to do a hush system. how should this be handled?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Your sink can be permanently undermounted with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness; the space is not too small. If this is the first one they've installed, it will take about 2 hours; I'm down to about an hour and a quarter. I've retrofitted at least 30 failed sinks with these and have yet to get a callback.

This repair cannot wait, especially if they rodded your tops with cold steel imbedded in polyester. You've seen the damage oxidized rods can cause to tops in other threads.

Insist on the HUSH and accept nothing else.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 14:32

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I would get this - link below.

Not affiliated, just seems like a good idea! I'm going to get one for my under-mount bathroom sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hercules sink harness

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

alex9179:

You didn't say whether or not your bathroom sink is ceramic or stainless. The HUSH manufacturer recommends use on ceramic only, but I've used it successfully on the stainless bowl as pictured. You've got to secure it a bit off center to accommodate the overflow, but that has no effect on performance.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh no! Did you call the granite people, yet? I would insist that they cover this 100%

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i am still waiting for a call back from the granite place. this was my major concern when this was installed and had lengthy conversations with not only the installer but the owner so i am hoping for a positive resolution.
    trebruchet: here's my question : i do not see a rod underneath but would it be visible to the layman? also one side of my sink is sandwiched between the counter and my cabinet (the other side has no visible connection) won't they have to take the counter off to reinstall? if so, is damage likely, to either the sink(silgranite) or the cabinet?
    here is a pic of the space between sink and cabinet side. not much space.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

even less space on the other side. i can just barely fit my hand in the space if it is flat against the cabinet wall. that is the side that looks like the edge if the sink is sandwiched between the counter and the cabinet top

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

It would be best to remove the sink in order to clean the contamination, but removing the countertops is not a good option here. It is possible to remove most of the caulk and clean the area without removing the sink, although difficult.
    Carefully cut away and dig out the caulk using a utility knife. After the caulk is removed clean the area with a bleach solution to kill any bacteria. Try to get it into the joint between the sink and countertop, then rinse the best you can. Be sure to place an old towel under the sink to catch any solution and water that drips.
    Let dry then force caulk into the joint between sink and stone then prop the sink up tight to the countertop using a 1x2 pc of wood cut to length. Install either the wire harness or Sinkits LC Brackets to permanently hold the sink in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinkits LC brackets

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The sink must be removed completely so the flange can be cleaned throughly. It's not that big a deal. When the sink is removed, there is plenty of access for the HUSH installation.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"trebruchet: here's my question : i do not see a rod underneath but would it be visible to the layman?"

Most rods are covered by cabinet rails and aren't visible to anyone without removing the cabinet front.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!