Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
placement of kitchen sink in countertop

Posted by remodel-mama (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 12:52

Hi,

The contractor is about to cut the hole for the sink in the plywood that goes under the (quartz) countertop and is asking me how I want it positioned.

I bought the Kraus 30" x 18" sink

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kraus-30-inch-Undermount-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink/3381330/product.html?cid=143937&fp=F&mr:referralID=49e475ce-cf0e-11df-ad8e-001b2166c62d

So, the question is, how many inches of countertop to leave in the back vs. the front of the sink.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: placement of kitchen sink in countertop

Pull the sink as far forward as you can without compromising the integrity of the stone. The farther back the sink is, the farther forward you have to reach to get to the faucet as well as work in the sink itself...and the greater the possibility of causing back problems (and the taller you are, the worse it is). Additionally, you want to be sure you have enough room behind the sink and in front of the backsplash (or window) to fit the faucet as well as use the faucet without hitting the backsplash, window, or window sill.

In most cases, you shouldn't need more than 4" b/w the inside wall of the sink and the counter edge...less is much better if your stone can handle it. Remember, the counter overhangs the cabinets by approx 1.5"...so factor that in. This means, the inside wall of the sink should be no more than 3.5" from the outside of the front wall of the cabinet.

o

thanks buehl! Do you think 3" from the edge would be ok with Caersarstone quartz?

o

I don't honestly know...maybe someone else can answer that? I don't know much about quartz, sorry! Even w/granite, it depends on the stone and, to some extent, the skill of the fabricator and/or his/her machinery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here