Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gel staining cabinets!

Posted by lmead11 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 12:51

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, but I've been "stalking" the forum for awhile now.

I'm so thankful for this forum because it gave me the idea to gel stain my cabinets. I've been wanting to give my kitchen a little face lift but didn't have a lot of money to do so. My husband and I just got married about a month ago and have decided with some of the money we got that we'd begin the face lift! We're going to get new appliances, hardwood floors and new countertops. Then I stumbled upon celtic moon's tutorial on gel staining and decided I had to try! I needed a test subject first though to make sure the process was really as easy as everyone made it seem. So I did the gel stain on our small bathroom cabinet. We were planning on replacing it with a pedestal sink in the future so if it turned out horrible it wasn't a big deal. But...it actually turned out so good!! I'm so excited and am really thinking about doing the kitchen too.

Here some before and afters of the bathroom.
Before
Photobucket

First coat... streaky and ugly, yikes!
Photobucket

First coat
Photobucket

Second coat.. looking much better!
Photobucket

And the finished product!!
Photobucket

Before & after
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gel staining cabinets!

Terrific job! Looks great.

o

Great transformation. And, who is that photographer in the mirror???

o

Looks great! What brand and color did you use? I want to do this in our bathroom and family room but want something with some red for the bathroom and something a little lighter for the family room.

o

I used General Finishes in Java. It was so easy!

o

I used General Finishes in Java. It was so easy!

o

Looks terrific -- nice job!! Can't wait to see your kitchen transformation. (I'm in the middle of refinishing my kitchen table with General Finishes java. It really is easy!)

o

thx for posting the brand you used. I want to try this for my kitchen maybe in the spring. On my last trip to Lowe's I stopped in the 'stain' area and looked around a bit but didn't see anything (that jumped out at me) that I thought could be the 'gel stain' people here post about. Since I didn't need it yet I just went on to get the things I was really there to get.

But now I can start looking there again and get an idea of my 'color' options. I want a light 'color' for my kitchen.

Yours looks great tho - and the new hardware really sets it off. Good update!

o

ooooo NICE!

I feel like the proud teacher at a graduation party!

FWIW, my kitchen is still looking good after 6+ years. Probably time for a second round of touching up in a few places. It was supposed to be just a temporary fix, but I still really like the look of heavy oak graining and a very dark finish with the light counters.

o

Celticmoon- You should feel proud, yours was the tutorial that I followed!! I combined your tutorial with a blogger who I found that also gel stain her bathroom cabinets but they were very similar instructions. Thank you so much for posting your tutorial on here!! I went a little too heavy I think with the stain because they are really dark. I think if I decide to do the kitchen I will try to not go as thick. What kind of poly did you use? I used poly/acrylic satin and they are really shiny.. I don't know if I will like the super shine in my kitchen..

o

Nice job changing that 1980's oak.

o

Great job - love the picture taker also!! Wow - I better not show my DH your DIY or we might have to do the same thing - same oak from the 80's - Actually, seeing what you did - I might just do that in 2 of the bathrooms - the third has laminate for cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here