Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

OT... how to make homemade bread

remodelfla
15 years ago

I know I could post this on the cooking forum but I know you guys better and this is kind of last minute. Tomorrow night is "band night" at my house. DH's friends and band mates for the past 40 years come over to "practice" (aka goof around and laugh hysterically) and I make dinner for the boys. Since it' cooled down by Florida standards (it's no longer in the 90's); I"m in the mood to make a big pot of soup. I'd love to make some home made bread to go with it. I'm thinking pasta fagioli or some other hearty meal type soup. SO..... what is a good beginner bread for me to make? I'm a good baker, great cook, at ease with trying anything, but have never made fresh bread outside of banana breads, pumpkin breads, carrot...etc... not regular bread. I'm not looking to pour stuff into a bread machine. I want to learn how to bake bread?

Semolina? Italian? Sourdough? Hearty Nine Grain type?

It's trailrunner and rhomes' fault for posting all those KIA threads!

Comments (45)

• nuccia
    15 years ago

remodelfa, I've been baking yeast breads for 30+ years, and crusty Italian breads are my specialty. I have taught bread making and pizza making as well.

The reason I'm tooting my horn here is so you might believe me when I tell you that the "No Knead Bread" that the New York Times published has left me and thousands of others totally flabbergasted with how good it is, especially for something as easy as this is. You do not bake it on a pizza stone, but in a heavy covered pot at 450-500 degrees.

If you intend to make this for tomorrow night, you should start now. Buy SAF instant yeast if you can find it.

I don't know why, but many people have a difficult time with yeast recipes and give up prematurely. If you are serious, I can give you several recommendations for cookbooks that give good explanations for what works and why.

I've attached links for the NY Times article, recipe, and youtube video. Check them all out!

NY Times No-Knead bread video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

NY Times No-Knead bread recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times No-Knead Bread Article

• User
    15 years ago

HEY NOW>...no fair blaming us !! I have a tutorial on my food picture site. I will link it here . It is not for this bread but it does have good pics of what yeast should look like when it is proofed etc.It is for granola bread. Here is the recipe for Challah. I always make it when I make Pasta i fagioli and minestrone . The guys love to tear off humks to eat ! LOL. : Challah 3 loaves:

Makes 3 braids and I double it --

Dissolve 5 tsp or 2 packets of dry yeast in 1 1/2 c warm water. Add 1/4 c sugar and stir to dissolve. Wait til yeast is foamy and add 1/4 c butter ( or pareve if Kosher) softened and 3 whole eggs. Whisk together.

In KA mixer or Cuisinart food processor mix 6 1/2 c unbleached or bread flour and 2 tsp salt. Start KA or processor and slowly pour in liquids. Process till smooth satiny dough. about 1 1/2 min. Or you can stir this up by hand in a bowl ( see tutorial) May need up to another 1/2 c flour or a few Tbsp. water....depends on the weather and the flour. Let rise til double in greased bowl covered ...about 1 hr. Degas and shape into 3 braids or may make burger buns or dinner rolls or even regular 9"x5" pan loaves. Let rise til less than double. Bake 350 degrees 30 min. til hollow when tapped on bottom. May glaze with 1 eggyolk diluted w/ 2 tsp 1/2 and 1/2 and decorate w/ sesame or poppy seeds.

picture finished Challah:

{{gwi:593956}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Tutorial Slideshow

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I have had pretty good results with the 5-minute bread for crusty bread or have other suggestions if you want softer rolls. I haven't tried the no-knead bread yet. I have the cookbook for the 5-minute breads if you want more specifics about the recipe, or want info for bread other than white.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Video for 5 minute artisan bread

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my friends... you all make this sound so doable... I"m excited! I'm off to the store to stock up on some fresh baking ingredients. Somehow those little bugger ants got into my baking drawer and I got rid of most of my old things. With the holidays coming up, I would have needed to stock up anyway. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it all turns out. These guys are so much fun to cook for: first, because they're all so appreciative that I WANT to do it for them, second, they eat and love anything, and lastly; they make me laugh every Tues (or almost every) night.

Off to Publix for ingredients!! Thanks!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I have to agree with Nuccia - the no knead NY Times bread recipe is fool proof easy and leaves everyone saying what a great bread baker you are.

These are my loaves from my first attempt but you "knead" (sorry couldn't resist :) ) to start the day before

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Questions about no-knead:

1) Can you make it with whole wheat or multigrain? I would probably only try it with freshly milled hard white wheat flour, as that's all I use for bread and it worked for the 5 minute kind...But I like to add in cracked grains, seeds, etc. Have you tried it with this method?

2) My heavy cast iron Dutch oven is only 4 qt and my Pyrex covered casserole is about 5 qt, where the recipe calls for a 6-8 qt pot...Have you done smaller amounts in pots of this size? I sure think I could figure out how much less dough to put in, but how much to adjust baking time?

Am so excited to try this out, but not excited to buy the required heavy pot...Since I just saw 8 qt LeCreusets at Costco for $200, which I'm sure is probably a bargain, but not in my budget at this time! Maybe I'll check Amazon for a larger Lodge Logic.

Thanks!

• User
    15 years ago

remodelfla, this forum was my "first" when I was building & I have come to feel a certain kinship with posters here.
    Though my kitchen is done (except backsplash...)I still check in regularly.

BUT, I've wandered into the Cooking Forum recently and have just these past weeks been asking for guidance in learning to bake yeast breads. If, in addition to all the great responses here, you want even more help, I can testify that the folks there are really welcoming and helpful. I recognize a number of names I used to see here at Kitchens - Good Luck!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I do agree with Amck. The Cooking forum is a wonderful place. Very helpful, and, like here, almost instantaneous answers if you're in the middle of a project and run into a question. VERY knowledgeable and experienced cooks and bakers. However, after reading I've done there, if you want the easiest yeast bread projects, I think you are already pointed to those.

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

Yummy!

I too just use the freshly milled hard red wheat or the soft white - waiting for answers to your questions rhome410.... : )

loves2cook4six - it looks as though you've made yours w/ WW? I went to the recipe & article, the recipie didn't state flour measurements for anything but white and the article had just commented that he's played around with WW and rye with good results. Did you use WW and if so how much?

Thanks!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to start off with the basics and see how it turns out. I think I might try both the "no knead" bread and trailrunner's beautiful challah. Just thinking of making the challah makes me think of my adorable Daddy (Mom was a cutie pie too) and how much he love to make a ceremony out of cutting the bread during the Holidays. I'm the only one in my family that's a "home made" kind of cook or baker. I wish I knew how to do this when they were still alive. He would have SO enjoyed "puttzing" around in the kitchen with me. My Mom hated cooking!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

rhome - I usually mill my own flour too and this recipe is pretty forgiving. I'd try it first with the flour called for and once you have a feel for the dough make substitutions. I've done it half white half whole wheat and it was still great.

You DO NOT need a $200 le Creuset. I have one but I also have a lovely pot I picked up from Target for $40 - now it's $60 - go figure, based on the recommendations of the forum at Cook's Illustrated. Others there found a Tramontina at Walmart that works well for $30. Just make sure whichever you use either has oven safe knobs to 500 or has removable knobs - I exchanged my knobs with metal drawer pulls

Also the bread does not fill the pot at all but sits on the bottom. I'd imagine a smaller pot would work but your loaf may take on the shape of the pot a bit on the bottom. I'd definitely experiment before laying out more money. Again people on Cooks Illustrated have successfully used 4 Qt pots the key being the pots ability to retain heat.

Here are some discussions on the no knead bread:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=221227

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=221227

Here is a link that might be useful: Target pot

• nuccia
    15 years ago

1)I did a side by side using bread flour for one loaf and durum flour for the other. They were both very good, but the bread flour had better texture and bigger holes.

I have never made this recipe with whole wheat... but, I did have an interesting conversation with a chef/scientist at King Arthur Flour about 10 years ago. I remember calling with questions regarding the types of sugar, but the conversation took an interesting turn towards whole wheat flour and solved (for me) the question of why whole wheat breads didn't rise as much. As you know whole wheat has bits of bran remaining from the milling process. These bits are insoluble and have jagged edges. As the yeast works, producing gas bubbles, the bubbles rub against jagged edges of the bran, piercing the gas bubbles and causing the bread to deflate (or keeping it from rising). This is the reason why only a maximum of 30% whole wheat flour is suggested for non-dense breads.

I do not have enough personal experience with non-wheat flours to talk about them.

2) Rhome410: You don't have to spend $200 for LeCreuset. I used a Calphalon pot, which is cast aluminum. I have also used a clay baker very effectively. If you want an excuse to buy a pretty pot, I've seen very attractive ones at Home Goods, TJ Max and Ikea for under $50. Just make sure there are no plastic lids or handles. If you just want to try the recipe out before you decide, consider borrowing a pot from a friend or relative.

I baked this recipe once in a 5 qt pot and I believe the top of the bread touched the lid, but it still tasted great.

3) I use my bread machine as a kneading machine. After the dough rises, deflate, turn the dough a few times, shape it, and you're good to go! You can't use this for the no-knead bread recipe (why would you want to?), but it's a huge time saver for other recipes.

4)Loves2cook4six and Trailrunner: your breads are gorgeous! Now I'm hungry.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm learning so much from you guys... THANK YOU! I'm glad I posted this thread... I hope my bread turns out half as wonderful as all yours look!

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I haven't tried the NYT version of this bread. I have made the Cook's Illustrated version (I have provided a link below) and it is amazing.

My DH loves it and would eat the whole loaf on his own if he could get away with it. In the CI version they add beer and vinegar. I use George Killian's Irish Red and the taste is very subtle. I once had to use a stout (It was all we had in the house) and it was much too potent. I have let it sit from as little as 8 and as much as 18 hours, and haven't found much of a difference in the result. I use organic white unbleached flour.

When I put the dutch oven in the oven at 500 degrees I do not put in the lid (I have the plastic handle). I put the lid on when I turn it down to 425 degrees. Again, this has not changed the result of the final product (I had put the lid in the first time I made it without the handle cracking, but decided not to risk it cracking in the future).

This time of year I serve it with Black Bean Pumpkin Soup or Tomato Soup. Try the bread - everyone will love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated Almost No-Knead Bread

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I had forgotten about the pots at Target...And I even bought one for a wedding gift! Duh. :-)

But I will go ahead and try it in what I have. Thanks.

Kitchenredo, Black Bean Pumpkin Soup? Maybe it will go with using pumpkin ale for the bread, which the only beer I have right now? (It's not overly hearty.) Can you share the soup recipe or steer me to it? Thanks.

I haven't found a homemade bread recipe that my dh (or kids...OK, or usually me either) wouldn't want to eat the whole loaf of! :-)

• josie724
    15 years ago

OMG...I love this thread...I was going to suggest the NYT no knead bread. I saw it being made on GMA a few weeks ago and have been dying to try it. I bought my heavy pot from HomeGoods, just for the bread. Glad to read all the tips you've all provided. I think I'm going to try to make it tomorrow.

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Wow, must be the cooler weather that brings out the breadmaker in all of us! I just posted on a bread making thread a couple of days ago on the "Conversations" part of the Home Decorating forum. I, too, am a No-Knead Bread fan, and have been making ALL of our bread for the past year since finding this recipe. My recipe merger of the NYT and Cook's Illustrated versions is near the bottom of the thread.
    Here's a photo of some recent bread...

And here's a link to the thread on Home Decorating...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home made bread thread

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK... my first loaf ever is now sitting quietly on the counter till 3:00 tomorrow when I get home from school! Thanks so much to all! I can't wait to try all the variations. I'm also going to try and make the challah tomorrow when I get home.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

Take pictures!

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

I started out making the NYT bread with really good results, but was always a little frustrated with the gooey mess I made. Now I make the Cooks Illustrated bread every week. I mix the dough on Thursday afternoon (the 3/4 of a beer leftover is a bonus for the chef -- me!) and bake it Friday afternoon while the oven is pre-heating for our Friday night pizza ritual. I freeze the bread and just pull it out and reheat it as needed. I love the Cooks Illustrated recipe -- a perfect loaf every time!

My le cruset pot is only 4 quart and I've never found that to be a problem.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OHHHH!!! I'm so excited! My very first home made bread: challah as instructed by nuccia.

band boys chowing

• User
    15 years ago

I am SO GLAD that the Challah came out so well for you. I first started making it in 1975 and have made it most every week since then . You did GREAT ! Caroline

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No knead bread... I have to adjust next time because I think it should have risen higher but it didn't even get a chance to cool! The boys have been snackin' and playing their music.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Brava!

Actually, trailrunner gets the credit for the Challah recipe. I just provided links to the NYT for a foolproof technique that works well for novices and pros alike.

BTW, I looked at the Cook's Illustrated recipe and its variations. While similar to the NYT bread, the main difference is the fast rising time which is achieved by a much larger quantity of yeast. The minute amount of yeast in the NYT recipe combined with the long rise time allows the yeast to develop its flavor, makes large holes, and gives the bread a chewier texture--this is why the NYT recipe is more like an "artisan" bread. Another technicality: the instant yeast (SAF brand) has ascorbic acid added which also helps the yeast develop better flavor.

I need to shut up (virtually) and cook!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AH-HA! I read the yeast packages and choose the one WITHOUT the ascorbic acid because... well I dont' really know why I did 'cept that's what I thought I was suppose to do based on nothing really. Next time I will know better.

And sorry trailrunner for the mispost. Both breads were AWESOME and I'm hooked on bread making. Maybe DH will become so enamored with my breads that he'll agree to any layout I want so I can comfortably continue to bake away!

Now... what's this about milling your own flour? I gotta get over to the cooking forum.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I was going to say that the photos are so great, I can smell the bread...But then realized it's my own Cook's Illustrated version cooking in the oven right now! :-)

Nuccia, the CI version I used (found via the link above that kitchenredo2 gave) has 1/4 tsp instant yeast and 18 (+2) hours of rise time...I thought that was the same as the NYT version? Are there other Cooks Illustrated versions of the recipe?

You definitely get gold stars for that first try on the Challah, Elyse! Beautiful job.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Nothing better than serving your family bread you made from freshly milled flour...Knowing they're getting the very best. The bread made from freshly milled Montana Gold hard white wheat rises as nicely as that made from store-bought white flour, but with all the nutrients and fiber included. It's not heavy or gritty like the bread I've made from store-bought whole wheat flours. There are red wheats and soft wheats, but this one works so well for everything I've tried, I haven't experimented with anything else. I do add milled spelt and other cracked grains and seeds for variation.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK... I've got my studying ahead of me. Where do I buy such products?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Now you're opening the can of worms. ;-) There are lots of great bread baking sites with tools and supplies. I have a WhisperMill for milling, which is now available as the WonderMill. The NutriMill is also popular. Both are available on a number of websites.

The wheat I found by looking on the Montana Wheat site for the closet retail option, then I special order it from them and get 50 pound bags at a time. That store also has it in their bulk bins, so those who don't need so much can buy less...So you might find that option near you. (The store I go to also has a grain mill in the store so you can grind it when you buy it...But you want to use it fairly quickly and keep it in fridge or freezer to keep the natural oils from turning rancid.)

I buy SAF Instant yeast, as well as dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten (which are optional add-ins which help with rise and the bread lasting longer) from on-line stores.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or info about specific sites.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

I apologize for getting some of the references mixed up. I just looked them up again and hopefully have them correct this time:

Nov 2006ÂNY Times publishes the now famous No-Knead Bread recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Nov 2007-Loves2cook4six then links to a CookÂs Illustrated forum dated 11/21/2007 where thehe writer references a NYT article about Zoe Francois and Jeff HertzbergÂs recipe. . This is the recipe calls for a 2 hour rise and large amount of yeast. http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=221227

Rhome410 links to the how to video for the recipe above for 5 minute artisan bread from Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg in Mpls Star-TribuneÂs website in Dec 2007: http://www.startribune.com/video/11967361.html

Feb 2008--CookÂs Illustrated publishes their version of No-Knead Bread. Kitchenredo2 references to the following link (which is actually from a Seattle blog): http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/devouringseattle/archives/128938.asp. This recipe calls for a longer rise time, as kitchenredo2 correctly pointed out.

PHEW!

IÂve been able to buy the yeast and flours I use most frequently (high protein bread flour and durum flour) from a local food wholesaler. I usually split the 50 lb bags of flour with someone. IÂve also seen them sometimes in Costco and SamÂs Club.

King Arthur FlourÂs website has a wealth of information including free online baking classes.

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW... so with a higher quality flour I"ll have better results... makes sense. I just bought regular flour at my local Publix. I dont' know how prudent it would be for me to bulk buy since it's currently just 3 of us home in my family and my DS is rarely there. Even with trying to carefully seal; humidity and little critters are a problem down in Florida; so I wonder if I'd be better off having to spend a little more and keeping with more standard sizing. How are places like Whole Foods or Fresh Market for the better ingredients? Am I better off finding a supplier online?

• cocontom
    15 years ago

Every supermarket in my area carries King Arthur- if you're just graduating to having bread flour on hand, it's a good place to start.

One tip on the bugs- go to the drugstore and pick up some Boric Acid. Sprinkle it on the ground against the foundation of the house, and it will keep the crawly bugs out. It's not a good thing to feed your pet, but it's relatively non-toxic for pets and kids for a pesticide. It does take a few days before you'll notice a difference.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

I've cut way back on my baking since we are officially empty-nesters. It takes me a much longer time to go through 50 lbs, which is why I split the bags. I store what I'm not using in my basement inside the large popcorn tins. These tins hold about 15 lbs each.

I would not recommend buying huge quantities of flour, unless you are sure you will be using it.

A lot of grocery stores that carry King Arthur flour also carry their "bread machine" flour. This flour has a higher gluten (same as protein) percentage which makes it better for breadmaking, regardless of technique. You can also increase the gluten/protein percentage by adding a 1-2 tablespoons of gluten/protein. You can buy a small package of this at most grocery stores in either the baking or natural food section. Some natural food stores also carry it.

I use durum flour to make pasta as well as bread. It is basically semolina which has been ground finer. Durum gives pasta more "bite" and makes earthier bread. Breads made with durum are yellowish in color. The semolina and durum flours I've seen in grocery stores come from small boutique mills and are outrageously expensive. You may be able to buy more cheaply in bulk from a Whole Foods or an ethnic store.

You can also get everything you need from King Arthur website, but the shipping costs may be very high.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Awesome!! I want to grab your bread right off the screen and eat some chunks. Being hooked on baking bread is the BEST.

I use freshly milled wholewheat flour and I also use Montana Gold. I have a NutriMill but I must say I find it very loud. If the Whispermill really is whisper quiet I'd say go for it. I store my wheat, bought in 50 lb bags, in a sealed bin under the basement sink. Wheat keeps for years in it's natural form. They have even found viable wheat kernels dating from biblical times. However once milled the flour rapidly loses it;s health benefits. I've read it's best to bake with it and eat it within 2-3 days of milling for optimum benefits. Most of my bread recipes have been converted to or were originally in bake-by-weight formulation. I just weigh what I need and mill it. One pound of kernels gives 1 pound of flour as nothing is lost.

I buy my all purpose flour in 25 lb bags direct from King Arthur 2 or three bags at a time to save on shipping. I add Vital Wheat to either flour or a mix of the two rather than buying separate bread flour. I also use dough enhancer on occasion and lecithin granules when I bake 100% whole wheat.

Just wait - all this will seem elementary in a year or so when you've been making all your bread.

BTW, for those making Challah, I met a Rabbi's wife who told me her secret to making Challah was to sub honey for half the oil. My Challah always gets rave reviews when I do this.

Also King Arthur has a recipe for a Harvest Challah made with Apples, cinnamon and sugar. I served it for Succot - the festival of first fruits - and a huge challah was devoured in seconds.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Three cheers for all of you who tried yeast breads!! And thanks to all who supplied links and hints!

When my kids were little, I baked all our bread . . . I did it because I could control the additives, etc. My fiendish kids ran home one day from visiting friends and said, "Lunch was AWESOME!! They had bread FROM THE STORE!!" They're lucky they survived.

BTW, I find the kneading to be a very satisfying part of the process. After you've mastered the no-knead and have some confidence, branch out and try some yes-knead recipes.

When we get out of this %^@& apartment and into the new house, I'm gonna bake again!!

Arlene

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

rhome410 - The soup is really good - never made the bread with pumpkin beer, but I think I am going to have to give it a try.

The recipe is from Rachel Ray (the link is below). I have never used the chopped chives and depending on my mood, leave the curry out :

Ingredients
    2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    3 cups canned or packaged vegetable stock, found on soup aisle
    1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
    2 cans (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 palm full
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 palm full
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, eyeball it in the palm of your hand
    Coarse salt
    20 blades fresh chives, chopped or snipped, for garnish

Directions
    Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Thanks, kitchenredo2!

I made our no-knead bread with the pumpkin beer. I have nothing to compare it to, but the family declared it a success. The only negative was that my Lodge Logic cast iron Dutch oven burned the crust. Today I was near Target and took advantage of the moment and bought one of the BEEEEAUtiful red 6.5 quart casserole pots to try for the next loaf. I will also try my stainless Dutch oven, since one loaf of bread is pretty skimpy for my crew.

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

Hi all,

You guys inspired me to make bread for the first time in my life! I made 4 loaves of artisan bread and 1 loaf of the No Knead NY Times bread. The artisan loaves were a little salty for my taste, so I am going to reduce the amount of salt next time. I can't wait to make more bread!!!! Thanks everyone!

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

The enamel pot at Target and the TSV on QVC today both say the highest temp to use at is 400 degrees. Is the lid handle the only thing stopping these pots from being used at a higher temp? If I changed the handle to a metal one as Lovestocookfor6 did, will these pots be OK to use?

Yes, in the back of my mind I have a picture of this cast iron pot exploding in my oven when it surpases the rec. temp!!!!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Zoey

Cast iron pots are fired at 1500 d F so I doubt it's going to explode at a piddly 500 LOL

The phenolic handle is the thing that causes the problem - they melt over 400. Switch it out for a knob that can take the heat and your pot is good to go. BTW Le Creuset sells a replacement metal knob for about $10 plus shipping. You can also use a metal draw pull just make sure you can lift the lid with a pot holder.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Ni

Your bread looks absolutely delicious and oh so professional - excellent outcome for a first time bread baker

• danielle00
    15 years ago

if you've caught the artisan baking bug, I've really enjoyed cooking from Daniel Leader's book called Local Breads.

• User
    15 years ago

Just wrap the handle of the Le Creuset pot in foil. It protects it and then you don't need to worry about switching it out to another or any heat damage. c

Your bread is BEAUTIFUL !! Great Job

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Grandma's recipe! Can of good beer: 2-3 cups of flour: 2 or 3 eggs: salt; sugar: stick it in the oven! 350 works! Crazy at it seems: fast and super easy: a guy could make it!
    I am going to have to check out some of these post on bread making:

I have the Amish Friendship Bread recipe somewhere from my Grandma: that is the best ever! need "starter" and have "grow it" and it's like a science project in a bag!: best bread I have ever ate!

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Great thread!! I recently purchased the KA Pro 600 and did my first try at baking rolls (my mom was the baker but I never was good at it). They actually turned out great but I've been looking for good bread recipies, just to have some fun with my new mixer. I also purchased QVC's TSV. I heard them say during the presentation that the pot will work up to whatever temp. but the description says 400 degrees. I called to check for that and also if it was OK for induction (although the CS folks say it's a pretty heavy, but beautiful pan). They couldn't say it could take higher heat, so not sure which is correct. It does have the metal knob so maybe that's why he says it can go higher. I'm looking forward to trying it for all the recipies you have listed here.