Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm4321

Backsplash; can it be so easy?

bookworm4321
10 years ago

I went to the store and saleswoman the KD advised. We spent an hour, and came up with 3. all glass. I had in mind a crackle with color pooling, so will try one other store (which won't tell KD about unless they have the ONE!)

Comments (48)

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is a better one of the gray/green glass.

I saw Bee's BS; in person it is just so elegant. I kept seeing BS that others have used.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

It can be so easy! Those are great choices. Just be sure to take your samples home and look at them in your kitchen. Your particular light exposure and surrounding colors make a difference to the way they look.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Why all mosaics? I like your idea of a crackled tile with pooling color, but that is a favorite of mine. I'm not loving any of them. I like the coloring of the middle best with your other pieces but it would be too busy, imo. Not sure what the really light tile is in there, a white or bright blue.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Hmm, now I recognize your name. Your cabinet and counter combination is so soft and soothing. Mosaics are not the same mood. They are modern and very energetic, can even buzz. Not that mixing can never look good. Either way, be sure of what you envision for the feel of the kitchen, rather than what's popular right now and being pushed by people in the field.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Are your cabs natural cherry? They look very contemporary in your other thread, and I assumed they were a lighter wood species. But if they're cherry and will darken quite a bit, they're seeming more traditional.

I always find it hard to give an opinion on BS tile when we don't know the space it's going into, so could you post a room view?

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I love the gray/green subway glass tiles. I would not go with that light of a grout color though. I would go with a similar color to the tile so the backsplash does not compete with the granite. It will look a lot less busy that way. I think a crackle would look great too, but overall give you the same look.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW, the gray with touch of green was my favorite at that store. It looks so dark in the pictures. The samples should come in a week.

I drove hour south to another store. Again, no crackle looked good. This glass is brushed. I liked the 2 end colors. The gray/green glasses add cool feel; the sand adds warmth. They charge $60-70 to get a sample, so I held off. They do come in many sizes.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the francipani, the gray one.

At first store, the one most similar to this had clear and muted glass.

The KD says I complicate things by shopping around, but I want things just right.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Your KD thinks you should just settle for something at the first store?! I went to multiple places, narrowed it down to 1 or 2 favorites at each store and brought them home (4 or 5 stores).

We have similar taste. In fact, I think the glass tile that I chose is very similar, if not the same, as your left sample in your second post at 12:55.

I always think it's difficult for us to choose from photos posted here because I know from recent experience how different a tile can look in person vs. a photo posted here. I'm not even going to post my BS because I know it won't look as good here and I'm afraid of what everybody will say!

I'm no help, am I?

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Shop around as much as you want!! It's your kitchen and you want to find "the one". I don't like the francipani. I don't think it goes well with your countertop. It looks too green and I don't see green in your countertop.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I've never had a tile store charge to see samples. ($60-70 is a lot!) A deposit to take home but not a charge. I would not go that route, even once. Shop till you drop, wherever you please.

Do you have any inspiration pictures so people can see what you are going for? You imagine ceramic but are showing glass.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 15:34

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

i love the colors in the middle sample from picture 1, but i'm afraid it may compete with the counters. So in this unofficial poll, my vote is for sample number 3 in picture 1 (the green/grey glass) I think it will complement the cabinets and counter without detracting from either.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I vote for the grey-green glass on the left: monochrome with an interesting tile pattern.

And yes, it can be that easy sometimes. I went tile shopping for a bathroom, floor tile in hand and a list of a couple dozen tile sellers. I found a really great tile on the first stop (at Lowe's!) so I tossed the list into the trashcan on my way out of the store with my tile.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I love your counter top! I don't know that any tile with an obvious grid pattern would look as good with those gorgeous swirls as maybe a solid sheet of colored glass? Probably expensive, but just an idea :)

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

I get that message from my architect. In fact, he lectured the girl who works for him that she gave me too many options, rather than narrowing them! I did make a choice finally, but I had to go back to the store by myself.

Karen

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Have you looked at matte finish subway tile?

Karen

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are SO helpful.

The saleswoman at store 1 (the KD's choice) has been there 25 years. She went through every aisle thoroughly. she noted the grey has a hint of green. she pointed out the grey/green one used both matte and clear, and the grout should be same color as glass.

Phillyfeet, she too liked the colorful one, but too bright for me. She said, as no charge for the sample, just try it.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My last photo until I shop more. For past few weeks I've writing down what other Kwebbers have used, that I think could work for me. It was disappointing to not be able to see them IRL.

This is the beige/honey one, but only comes in this pattern, which is too small.

May_flowers, the cabs are maple with brown glaze.

Lavendar_Lass, they did have solid glass is large squares and subways. I can find out more about them (I have 1 picture of small subway), and also about solid piece. Never thought about that.

CK, I wish you would post. We got our counters same time, so how did you chose so rapidly?

Again, many thanks for all the suggestions.

• localeater
    10 years ago

I really like the warmth of the last tile that you posted. But when I go back to your countertop installation thread I can see how one of the green-gray glass tiles could be perfect.
    My kitchen was install completed right after Christmas last year. If I am lucky the backsplash will be done by the 1 year anniversary. It was recently ordered, after much deliberation, so I know how difficult the picking and choosing can be.
    We actually have very similar countertops, mine is Madre Perla. Have you looked at Trikeenan Tile? Their Modulus tile is a very subtle crackle with some pooling.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Localeater, cannot thank you enough. When I looked at the local dealer for that tile, it was my store #2!!! I asked for crackle and wasn't shown that lovely tile! Of course, that is the store that charges high for a sample, but at least I can look.

Somehow, I don't think you shopped BS for a year. I would love to see your pictures. As I've posted before, the Perla Madre was my #1 choice. I felt it had such depth to it. What color are your cabs? With my maple, the color off.
    With white or anything darker, I would have picked PM/taj mahal.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

bw - my gc made me pick my bs tile weeks ago, right after I had picked my counters. It worked out, I think. Here's a pic I took tonight as it was just sitting on the counter.

There was no way my gc was going to let me be abb! :)

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CK, that is perfect!!! Please tell--manufacturer, color. You must have had a sample of countertop to be able to shop for something exactly right.

(I'm using the piece for behind range as she forgot to bring a square ).

• romy718
    10 years ago

CK, that tile looks perfect. Bookworm, hang in there, you'll find your perfect backsplash & when you find it, you'll know it.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I definitely wouldn't use that last choice or ck2's tile. They're too light against your cabinets. I like the medium tone grays.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I LOVE CK's tile!! I think it would look good with your counter, but I also love your last selection. It seems that your stone has a more yellowish color than CK's. I think your last pic brings out that color.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

The only thing you've posted that I really DON'T like is the multi-colored mosaic in the first pic. You seem to be on the right track with the colors you are picking, but monochrome is going to look best. I think the Frangipani in a larger format rectangle would look really nice with a matching grout.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Thanks for the positive comments about my bs tile, everyone!

bw, it's Casa Roma Glass Vogue in Puff. But it comes in lots of colors. It's all shiny, no matte. While I love the mix of matte and shiny in glass tile, I was worried about the cleanability of the matte tiles.

p.s. Yes, I had a sample of the counter with me along with a cabinet sample.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:48

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I e-mailed KD's store for other tile stores that he works with. I don't want to be a renegade. The answer: come shop in our store. Really?

I can see where the greys work, but I'm not ready to decide until I see crackle and other honey colored tiles. At 2nd store, they did have this one mat glass, but only comes in small pattern.

CK: Yours does look my honey one, but the receipt just says CN29. When does your tile get installed?

• deedles
    10 years ago

Is that your cabinet finish in this last pic? That looks great with the very lovely counter top. Was leaning towards a grey til you posted this image with the door. Nice to stay in the warms, maybe...but I liked the cement color that you posted a couple pics ago.

Backsplash, ugh. Too much to choose from out there.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

In an early post someone asked if your cabs are natural cherry. I didn't see your response, if they are maybe you could get a year old cab door to compare the BS tiles to.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

bw - my bs will get installed in about a week or so.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My cabs are maple with brown stain, and floors honey maple, wide planks. The floors and countertops can take center stage; I want a quiter BS.

ean, are you up to BS dilemna yet?

ck, I am jeolous. I so wanted kitchen to be done before son and g/f here for t-day. I am happy your kitchen is looking so good.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The maple will warm up over time too and can change considerably. Maybe there are some in the showroom or a sample door you can compare to the tiles you settle on to make sure the coloring will still look good down the road.

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

So when i couldn't sleep at 5 am this morning, i looked at this thread again, and i still really like the grey-green BS from first photo. i'm not digging the honey beige - there is too much yellow for me and too light. I'm afraid it will make everything look washed out. Did you look at any grey-beige (greige!) or taupe?

BTW, I am in love with your cabinets and counter. If i didn't have my heart set on keeping white cabinets (long story..), i'd be looking at this cabinet color.

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

I love the matte glass tiles! I like the warmth of the sand color.

I have wondered, too, if bs can be so easy, as people here seem to struggle with it so much!

Ours was really easy too, but we are going fairly plain - weathered brick behind the range and cream colored crackle subway in the other area. I guess I can see where it could be agonizing with all the beautiful mosaics and patterns and colors out there. For us, though, the choice was simple. :)

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I showed my KD the pictures this A.M.; he suggested I look more for the "honey" color, an suggested I check out the local Walter Zanger store. Thanks to GW, I knew the name, and ran there in afternoon (work will be picked up Sat. morning.)

Crackle heaven. Still, my saleswoman, and then hr manager, loved the glass.
    Here are the honey tones. The on left are same color, one is matte, one clear. he next one over may be too "gold". The last one, on right, looks great in small tile, but the larger it gets, the darker it becomes.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK; Only posting the best of the crackled tile, It seems every salesperson prefers glass with my countertop. Pictures are so misleading: the last doesn't show the countertops look 80% gray.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's your picture from your countertop thread. I also like the green & grey tiles you posted at the beginning of the post. Will they let you check out these samples overnight? As annalyn said, you need to see them in your home with cabinets, countertops & floors in all different lighting.
    Annalyn, beautiful backsplash.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Romy, thank you. I never thought I would have ended up with "white" glass:)
    Bookworm, I think you might want to first think about what you want your kitchen to look like. I think crackle and glass are two very beautiful backsplash options, but give an entirely different "feel" to the kitchen. People have mentioned that they looked at many photos on Houzz and then noticed which photos they gravitated towards. I found that was really helpful.
    DId you say this was easy:) !!!

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annalyn,
    I guess it seemed so easy when I saw that first gray, with combination of shiny and matte. At all 3 stores, everyone likes the gray glass samples. Even the b/f went straight for the gray brushed, iridescent W Zanger (the salespeople #1). When did the b/f develop taste?

I apologize for how badly the pictures showed up last night; as romy illustrated, the lighting was all wrong.

There is another thread about undercounting lighting. so many variables to consider.

Good suggestion for me to look at differences between crackle and glass. thanks all

• Vertise
    10 years ago

As far as the glass tiles go, I think you just need to decide whether you want your kitchen more modern and sleek in feel or not.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have a few concerns about the honey tiles. One, they could blend in with the upper cabinets, giving you a solid mass of beige when you stand back and view it. Two, the counter looks predominantly gray in the photos and the beige might clash. You won't see that the beige matches some of the swirls from a distance. Three, to my eye, the beige makes the cabinets look pink in the photos. I know people who are good at color theory say one color can affect another and bring out undesirable undertones. You should probably try photoshopping your choices in at this point.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I still like these the best. The honey will blend in with your cabinets. But it's hard to tell if you counters are more tan or gray. Which is it? There is a huge difference in your pics. So I guess to answer you question.... no it can't be so easy to pick a backsplash :)

This post was edited by teachertile on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 14:04

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

You keep mentioning what the salespeople like. Maybe they like to sell the glass tiles!

What do YOU like best?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I'd go darker with the backsplash. With those light cabinets and counter, you shouldn't go with the same tones; otherwise, it will all blend in too much together and seem bland.

• bookworm4321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the follow-ups.
    Raee, I began wanting a crackle, but other than the pale gray, not liking how any of the warm beiges go with cabinets. I'm aware of how the maple will darken over time, so something that looks okay now might not in a few years.

teachertile, I'm waiting for the sample of that gray one. My other favorite gray glass is the one on far left, the W Zanger . Of the warm beiges (which I nicknamed 'honey'), I like the w Zanger to far right, and the awaited sample from store #1.

Snookums, I thought of getting glass, in a traditional subway pattern. This house could handle glass; my Boston condo was 90 years when I bought it, with glass doorknobs, fireplaces, built-in cabinets, french doors, all the wonderful features. The best improvement I made to interior of this house was the wood floors, widening openings into rooms. It just doesn't have the character my first condo had.

May_flower, you are so right about counters being more gray. I have research to do this weekend, e.g. seeing glass with grout, finding out about the under-counter lights (will bring my counters to KD's store and try them out). I'll look thru Houzz. I'll also go back thru GWebbers' pictures. I have 3 really nice gray choices (including the crackle). While I wanted the warmth of honey, I really do like the grays.

Conclusion: not so easy to find BS.

Good news: I have running water in sink.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I just looked at a reveal thread with gray glass subway tile. It really does give the appearance of a solid color, like paint, and would dominate in your kitchen. If you choose gray glass, I'd go very light. However, that light gray crackle tile looks perfect to me.

You mentioned maple darkening over time, but doesn't it yellow? Gray could tolerate that better.