Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Glass Cabinets? Where Should They Go? (PICS)

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have yet another question that I would love to get your advice on. (I don't want to let DH open up and install all of the doors until this is figured out.)

Glass cabinets. Will they work in our kitchen? And if so, where, and how many?

Things to Note:

* We have Adel White cabinets - Shaker style with WIDE stiles and rails.

* The style of the kitchen will be simple (hopefully elegant) cottage. Glass knobs, cup pulls, victorian faucet.

* I do not like the modern glass that Adel comes with, and will swap it out probably with seeded glass.

* I love my simple off white dishes. They will go in the 36" upper to the left of the sink. Some of our cups/glass will probably spill over into the 15" upper to the right of the sink. The corner upper (16.5) will probably hold food.

Adel White Door with Glass (which we will swap out with seeded glass, most likely, for a more cottagy look):

And the Options! Should we Add Glass To?:

1) A Only (Pro: I can see my beloved dishes! Con: Not symmetric)

2) A and B (Pro: I can see my dishes and cups/glasses. Con: Not symmetric.)

3) A, B, and C (Pro: I can see my dishes and cups/glasses. It is symmetric, sort of... Con: I'd need to find something pretty for C, and couldn't use it for food. Also, C's door would need to be custom made. Ikea does not make a glass door option for their corner upper. ARGH!)

4) C Only (Pro: No issues with symmetry. Con: I'd need to find something pretty for C, and couldn't use it for food. Also, C's door would need to be custom made. This is DH's vote. He is all about symmetry and thinks I am crazy to consider options 1 and 2. Sigh.)

Thanks for your help!!

Comments (11)

• house_obsessed
    12 years ago

It would look just fine to have cabinet A with glass doors. And by the way, I wouldn't do C with a glass door UNLESS you have largish bowls, etc. that you'd want to store there. That kind of cabinet goes very deep into the corner, making it difficult to reach dishes toward the back. It's best used either with a solid door and a lazy susan arrangement OR, as I did in a previous house, with large serving bowls used often in front on the bottom two shelves and stuff that I almost NEVER used and was almost entirely hidden, behind them. Top shelf had stuff that was pretty, but almost never used because reaching it required a stool...it's high up AND far back from the counter edge.

• senator13
    12 years ago

I agree with just doing "A". It is the most practical place to put it since you can put dishes there, and it "encaps" that row nicely.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Good sense. But--where is the main view into the kitchen coming from and what is in that view? That's a factor that can effectively create symmetry where there is none or hide asymmetry. Ultimately, it only needs to look good. Plus, when you're in there, you'll be to close to notice either symmetry or asymmetry. And, after all, once up, you'll never take a tape measure to it again, so it's all about how it looks.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I would do A only - the glass would carry out the lightness of the window and with your white dishes I think it would look nice.
    The only true symmetry you would get is if you did the two 24" cupboards on either side of the range which isn't an option. The other one which might work if you were looking for symmetry is to do A and then the 24" cupboard to the right of the range but I'm assuming that will have food in it. So I would just do A.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi bella..

I thought I would post a picture of what I have because it is somewhat similar to yours...Mine are not symetrical but they seemed the logical ones to me.

My "A" cabinet holds the dishes (I love my simple white dishes too from Ikea) that I use everyday, plus some pretty bowls.

My "B" cabinet is a corner cabinet, which is deep. The bottom shelf has my coffee mugs. The other 2 hold a silver warming tray and crystal vases, mostly for show, but used during parties and such. They are mostly empty towards the back of the shelf.

My "C" cabinet holds my everyday glasses and some decorative items on the top shelf.

I chose this cabinets to be glass because when you look into the kitchen from the family room, these cabinet doors face you head on.

Hope the photo helps you visualize what will be right for your kitchen.

KA:)

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh wow! It looks like "A Only" is the clear winner! Thank you all for your replies! (This was my favorite option too!) Now, I have to break the bad news to DH, who was set on "C Only." Majority rules, right? (Or should I say, DW rules?) ;)

house_obsessed: Ah - good point about C! Thank you! I really don't have enough pretty things to fill it, and would much prefer it to have lazy susan storage. I will definitely use this reasoning when explaining my preference to DH.

senator13: Thanks for your vote! I'm glad you like A best and think that it will look nice (instead of off balance)!

rosie: More excellent points! Thank you! The main view is of the stove wall (most of the traffic will come from the den into the kitchen walking towards the stove). And that wall does have symmetry around the stove.

blfenton: A Only - check! Yes, the 24s flanking the stove will hold food. (I never thought of making the end 24 glass in order to make it symmetric - good point! But I agree that showing off our food isn't a good option.) Thank you!

kitchenaddict: Wow! Your kitchen is Stunning! Thanks so much for your photo and reply! I think your glass cabinets (along with everything else) look Amazing! Now I want more than one glass cabinet! But - again, I'm afraid that I don't have enough nice things to fill them. I suppose I will start out with just cabinet A for now, and I can add additional glass doors at some point in the future if need be.

Thank you all, again! (Wish me luck talking to DH!!)

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

Just a last minute chime in...My kitchen is laid out much like yours, my "A" cabinet is 33'' wide and stands alone on the left side of the window. This cabinet is stacked with glass doors on bottom and open shelving on top. I felt this was a logical choice for "display" because I had not symmetry anywhere else and this cabinet was all by its lonesome and begged to be different!

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    12 years ago

abfabamy: Thanks for chiming in and for your A vote! I'm so glad that you did the same thing and love it! It makes sense to me too - now I just need to get DH to see the light!

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Glass doors and pretty dishes are a match made in heaven. I would go A & B - symmetry is overrated. :)

But seriously, that wall doesn't have symmetrical cabinets whether the doors are wood or glass. I think you have better unity (more important than symmetry in my book) if both are the same, one way or the other.

I would caution you about stacking plates (ie heavy dishes) in an Ikea 36" wide glass door cabinet. I have one in my kitchen and had to rearrange because my extensive collection of bowls was actually making the glass shelf bow in the middle (with the glass doors, Ikea gives you tempered glass shelves). Plates are even heavier than bowls, so if you want to load up the shelves, I would recommend getting 2 18" cabinets instead. If you wanted to use the white melamine covered shelves instead of the tempered glass, you won't have any problems.

Btw, my grandmother had a corner cabinet like you do where she kept her collection of ceramic chickens. The door panel was a painted wire mesh - fancier than chicken wire, but giving a feel of a chicken coop. I wish I had space for one in my kitchen for my chicken collection (including some of hers)!

• edie_g
    12 years ago

I also vote for "A" with glass doors.

Like abfabamy said, the cab is by itself so it can be different. I see DH's point about "C" being the "different" cab, but as pointed out, it's easy for smaller things to get lost in the depths. It's wide in there but, sometimes big things won't fit through the narrow door.

Also, the narrowness of the door of "C" means that a glass door looks lonely (odd) there by itself. "A" has the two doors and the set-apartness (I just made a word) that makes the glass doors feel right. It's also easier to arrange things if you have more width to play with. Narrow cabs are a pain.

The only question I have is: if cups/glasses are in "B", will it be a bottleneck for someone (e) to get a glass/cup out while someone else (f) is prepping in the hot corner between sink and stove?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Well, you've decided already, but I'll vote anyway. A. All my reasons have been noted already. Hope you win DH over!