Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avonite solid surface counters? This with my sink?

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 12:45

If so, how do you like them? Problems or kudos?

I was thinking of this with my sink? It's called Algodon. Top row middle right in the link below.

Photobucket

Not sure how big the flecks are in the material, though. If anyone likes their counter, I may order a sample of this pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: algodon sample

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avonite solid surface counters? This with my sink?

I ordered a sample of a different Avonite and was very disappointed in how it looked in real life versus how it looked on their site. I hope someone can provide you with photos of how it really looks in a kitchen.

o

What do your cabinets look like? I think it could be a good combo with a medium wood tone, like walnut. Not so good with white.

o

What was it that you didn't like? Was it plastic-ey feeling?

o

angel411: thinking of going with fir cabs. Little lighter than walnut but still in the medium range, I think.

o

What didn't I like? It absolutely looks like a hunk of cheap plastic. On the site it looked like it would have all this depth and would be really cool. Not so. That is why I hope someone shows you a real life picture. The one you picked could be totally different. At least their samples are free. Get one if you don't have one.

o

Bummer. I've ordered a large sample. Shame.
They look so nice on the web. We'll see how it looks IRL then.

o

ditto DONALEEN:
- the countertops that I just ripped out was Avonite, w/ an integrated sink
ugly ugly ugly
especially the sink from all the little cracks which were always black, unless I bleach the sink to death,.

The countertops were ~12years old and had small cracks at the stress points (peninsula overhang), where the L-corner meets, etc.
It scratches easily.
Stains easily.
And if I buff out the stain, now it's a non-shiny spot.

All this coming from a person who's about to install marble (let's see how that handles scratching and etching: hahahhaha

good luck.
Avonite was just not for me.

think about a seamless backsplash, if you're going for the 4" backsplash. PO did NOT and the seam/grout was awful!!!

LOVE that copper sink!

Amanda

o

Bummer - that beautiful sink needs support!

o

Well, my sample arrived and yes... it looks like plastic.

Scratch avonite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here