Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
convert down draft to range hood?

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 12:44

This is my next kitchen..
It has a downdraft cooktop and it needs to go, right now it is vented to outside wall I don't know how it is routed or go through maybe studs.. but how hard is it to convert to a range hood?

I am guessing it goes up the soffit thing then sideways? otherwise does it go through the studs in some way?

It is a 9 foot ceiling house but the soffit is 8" I have seen recess lighting added too after the fluorescent fixture is taken out. I have seen the same home for sale with the hood added so it can be done.

I am hoping to address this temporary before a big remodel

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: convert down draft to range hood?

We're doing exactly the same thing in our house. As I understand it, there's probably no efficient way to link a new vent hood to the existing downdraft system, so we're looking at basically removing the down draft ventilation and closing up the hole in the house where that one exits and then creating a new overhead ventilation system running the ducting through the top of the cabinets (but in your case the soffit will probably work assuming there's nothing in there) to outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here