Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 step stool

Posted by laurielou177 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 12:41

Anyone have a 3 step stool they especially like or don't like? We can't (at least my kids and myself at only 5 ft) can't reach top of new kitchen cabinets from our old 2 step stool. Well, I can reach them from the 2 step, but not things at back of cabinet. Need to invest in a 3 step. Seems more online than in stores to try folding mechanism. It will be used daily. I see ones online from about $40 up to about $140! Needs to be easy to move around all over the kitchen. Easy folding, though will probably be left unfolded lots too.Wood ones look nice, but I think too heavy, so probably will be aluminum. Again, easy to put up and down, move around and not too huge to store when needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 step stool

The slim step-stool from Williams-Sonoma (comes in a 2 or 3-step version) is one of the best (we have a few different step-stools in our household!). It is extremely lightweight, extremely easy to open/close; well worth the cost. We ordered ours online since it is only available in the catalog or online.

We had to cut down our 2-step version (to fit in the cabinet), but it still works well.

o

I also bought the ultraslim 3-step stool from WS. At first I balked at the price and bought a $25 ladder off Amazon. After struggling to open and close that one, I ended up about a month later getting the WS ladder -- should have done that first -- it opens and closes easily, is skinny enough to stand in the space beside my fridge, and is super sturdy, and I use it all the time to get stuff off the higher shelves. Well worth the price.

o

There's a new kind of stepladder at Frontgate which I like the looks of. It has broader treads and the loop for a balance check, and it folds to 6" wide.

frontgate

The three step version is $150. They have 2-step to 5-step. This one would require an add-on tray though, which isn't as convenient.

I'm taller, and I prefer a two step painter's ladder for getting things down. It has a standing platform and a tray for setting things upon.

Amazon has this one with three steps, also wider treads, and a standing platform, with paint tray, for $50. It folds to 3". It's lighter duty than the Frontgate one, but a great price, slimmer, and has the tray.

amazon

o

Costco sells a slim profile one by rubbermaid - I think it was around $25 & it fits in the 5" deep cab next to my fridg

o

I saw the three step rubbermaid one that Elbal mentioned last night in my local Costco for $19.79. The painters tray idea that Plllog mentions is a good idea.

o

I got one of these for my skinny (12") broom closet and then bought another for our master closet. Amazon's price is pretty good. It is very easy to use, not too heavy and very stable, folds up narrow, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skinny Mini

o

I stand 5' and had a difficult time finding one tall enough to lift me to the top shelf in the back. I found ONE - at a local HD for under $50. It's called Easy Reach by Gorilla Ladders. The price was well under what I saw at the 'fancy' stores. What I like most about it is being able to reach the back of the top corner shelf (our cabs go all the way up to the ceiling). It's amazingly sturdy but does not fit between the wall & refrig (where I kept the old one). Our new frig is wider so I just keep it in the back room & pull it out when I need to use it. It is not pretty enough to leave out all the time, but for the price, well worth it.

o

I have the Easy Reach by Gorilla in Aluminum and I love it. Very light weight, feels very sturdy and folds easily.

o

We got a 3 step ladder from Frontgate. It's very sturdy & weighs 21 pounds. I nearly sent it back because of it's weight, but it turned out to be very useful. We keep it in our walkin pantry. I really like the bar at the top because it is so much safer when using the top step, which I need to reach the top shelf! It's a little tricky to fold at first, but once you understand the mechanism, it's no problem.

Looks like they are on sale now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontgate ladder

o

Thanks. Checked the gorilla at home depot. It is light and easy to open and close, but also bulky to have open a lot or to store. Wish the super expensive W-S brand was available to try in person. I am super short and cabinets now go to ceiling, so wondering if of all the things to splurge on for me (and still have a short 10 yr old!) that it would be the step stool? Never would've guessed that. Still deciding though.

o

The Skinny Mini folds to 2" and handles very easily. The main limitation would be if your space to store had a height restriction (or width if you lay it in a toe kick drawer), but that handle gives you a bar in front of your legs which makes it more secure feeling for me. I looked at lot and haven't seen anything that would beat it under $100. I was about to spring for the WS one, but $30 works for me.

Found a 4 step one listed on Walmart's website, but I have not seen them in stores. Also found the 3 step at a lower price before shipping. I bought my second one from this site and they were great to deal with.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option

o

Has anyone purchased the Werner? I see it at Amazon and at Lowes. It gets good reviews and comes in around $70 when you add in shipping or tax. Top step is supposed to be 32" tall.

Werner Project Ladder at Amazon

At Lowes

o
Additional information

The Werner I linked above is not as lightweight as others - around 23 lbs, but it will support 250lbs (of people and whatever they are carrying). It folds to 64" tall and 2.5" deep.

They say it can be hard to fold and unfold, but many have discovered this is due to a tight fit where the top platform locks into place. They have been able to file this down and make it easier to fold/unfold.

I am picking one up for my mother tomorrow when I travel through a town with a Lowes (if they have one in stock). They should start moving in to their new house in a few weeks and she (at 5' tall) will need this for her 9' ceilings with kitchen cabinets that go all the way up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here