Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctbert

countertop for red birch cabinets?

ctbert
10 years ago

Hi everyone
We threw caution to the wind and ditched our natural maple cab idea for natural red birch because they are gorgeous.
So ideas for countertops? We were originally looking at granite. I found that I liked the look of soapstone online, but had never seen it live. The fabricator our KD works with sent us to Dorado in MA , where we fell in love with the soapstone look in their displays. We looked at Minas which is fairly plain with some veining , thinking it would really allow the red birch to shine.
But the sticker shock has made us hesitate. Compared to the stock granites, it's MUCH higher (and we got other estimates, so it's not just this fabricator)
I welcome any suggestions - granite with little movement , like one of the pearls? Or buy my appliances on time and throw the money into soapstone?
Any thoughts are welcome!!!

Comments (16)

• weissman
    10 years ago

I have blue pearl counters with natural red birch cabinets - also used blue pearl tiles for the backsplash. Pictures in the Finished Kitchens Blog

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pictures

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I adore red birch. Costa Esmeralda or sea foam? Something in the greenish family?

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.
    weissman
    Yes, if I went with granite, I have thought about blue pearl (got the idea from your pics already) or silver pearl, or another dark color. Not sure what price comparison would be with soapstone. I think Blue Pearl is a medium priced granite.

remodifila , I was in a house with the Costa Esmeralda with cream colored cabinets, and it was beautiful . Probably doesn't cost less than the soapstone, maybe even more., though.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

BTW...I keep missing info on posts...I completely missed that you loved soapstone. You can't go wrong with SS. We have it and I absolutely adore it. It was a HUGE splurge for us and I don't regret one single penny. We have it with natural QS oak.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have Verde Peacock granite with natural cherry cabinets. I think it would look great with red birch cabinets too.
    My fabricator classified it as a stock or level 1 granite. I have a polished finish but it in can also be done in a honed or leathered finish.
    Just in case you might be interested, here is a close up of the granite with my cabinets. Clicking on the picture should take you to my photo-bucket album if you would like to see more pictures of it.

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

badgergal
    The verde peacock looks nice with the cabinets. Beautiful cabinets, by the way.
    That would be another option if we abandon the soapstone (We are still wavering ). I'll add that to the list to check out.

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

remodelfla
    Any photos?
    Thanks

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

And close up

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

remodelfla
    Beautiful!
    What type of soapstone is that?

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

It's called Monsoon Wave and I purchased it at Texiera. I don't know if they carry it anymore. It's a little wild and crazy for most people but I absolutely love it. I"m not the least bit careful and it's held up like iron.

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we'd probably go with something more traditional , but yours looks beautiful! And the soft, subtle backsplash complements it really well.
    Still wavering - it's an awful lot of money-
    Any other feedback from anyone?

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we'd probably go with something more traditional , but yours looks beautiful! And the soft, subtle backsplash complements it really well.
    Still wavering - it's an awful lot of money-
    Any other feedback from anyone?

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

I think that going with something that is relative uniform is the way to go. I think that because of the lightness of your cabinets, a darker countertop would be best. I didn't see the color of the floor. This should be taken into account as well.

Soapstone is fabulous and would really set them off, but since it is very expensive, you could use Uba Tuba, Verde Butterfly or Verde Peacock (all 3 in the green family-great with the red tones of the natural birch), Tan Brown which looks fabulous with lighter cabinets with a reddish hue, New Caledonia, Black Pearl, Giallo Fiorito, or New Venetian Gold. They are all Level One priced.

All of the Blue Pearls (there are seveal of them), Green Pearl, Silver Pearl, and Steel Gray would all look very nice. These are medium to high priced in the Atlanta area Level Two or Three, at times.

Whatever you choose, the Soapstone would probably be the best. As you said you can buy your appliances on time and get the soapstone. You can even have soapstone grooved on the side of the sink as a drainboard and it will not hurt the look or the quality. It does scratch, which is why most people don't use it as well as the high cost, but oh so fabulous it looks with a new coat of oil. :)

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RoRo67,
    Thanks for feedback. We still have to choose flooring!
    Probably some kind of tile - dining room has oak but we don't feel like we would do well with wood floors in the kitchen.
    So many decisions!

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RoRo67,
    Thanks for feedback. We still have to choose flooring!
    Probably some kind of tile - dining room has oak but we don't feel like we would do well with wood floors in the kitchen.
    So many decisions!

• nparashis
    9 years ago

remodelfla

where did you get those kitchen cabinets. I am going to buy red birch and cant decide which place to go with. I am looking into rta place since ikea does not have solid wood or red birch with matching cabinets.

Any ideas?

btw I love the peacock granite and that soapstone is great too!