Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just getting started, sort of

Posted by kkards (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 12:31

i need to redo my kitchen (had a water issue with the unit above mine last year and had to take down a wall of cabinets).
but i don't know how to proceed. i have definite ideas, my kitchen has original 1910 panty/cabinets at one end. i want the rest of the kitchen to look like it was built at the same time, but with modern conveniences.
i also know what my budget is, and that since i live in an old building, it is likely that there will be unforeseen issues.
i worked with one designer whose design was 20% over my budget, even before we started.
how do i find a designer willing to work within my budget?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just getting started, sort of

First of all, is your budget realistic? Especially since you are wanting to work with/match existing components? You do realize that that is more expensive than going all new with a more budget oriented line, right?

Where are you located and have you check out custom cabinet shops? You also will need the services of a licensed GC since you are in a multi family dwelling, so have you talked to any of those? That is actually where I'd start first, and then use their contacts for cabinet guys.

o
RE: just getting started, sort of

You can access the BEST kitchen designers for free right here if you post a to-scale floor plan with all dimensions (ALL!) with doorways and window placements and show photos of your space and the cabs/features you want to complement. Oh - and read the STICKY at the top of the page (New to Kitchen Forum).

Looking forward to your journey!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here