Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryann0625

Backsplash tiles with Giallo Ornamental - diagonal or straight?

maryann0625
15 years ago

My new granite is Giallo Ornamental, which has a bit of a diagonal flow to it. Up to this point, I had been certain that I wanted my 4 x 4 tumbled tiles to be set on the diagonal -- but someone suggested that the diagonal design on the backsplash, next to the diagonal flow of the granite, might just be too much. Any opinions or votes on this one?

Comments (19)

• susan4664
    15 years ago

Look at Suzatwork's thread below. It looks like she has Giallo Ornamental as well and has some backsplash pictures.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

I have diagonal flow on my granite (New Ornamental) and am considering setting my 4x4 tiles diagonally above a straight first row. I have a pencil rail that will run between. I hadn't heard about needing to look at the granite movement when considering the tile layout. If that's the case, then placing the first row straight would break up those diagonal lines.

However, I have read here on GW about looking at the floor layout. If the floor is tile and they are laid at a diagonal, then the backsplash should be straight.

HTH!

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

I have giallo ornamental granite and a 4x4 backsplash. I think I will be able to provide you some useful info. First, I would say that I don't think the diagonal flow in the granite in any way competes with the backsplash. In other words it doesn't make any difference whether you go straight or diagonal. I decided I didn't like the look of diagonal all the way from top to bottom so I did use a row of straight on the bottom. I don't have any really great pictures focusing on just the backsplash, but I'll post what I have for now.

Here's the first one. This is my backsplash above my giallo ornamental granite:

Here is someone else's completely diagonal backsplash above their giallo ornamental. I'm afraid I don't know who so I can give them credit (It is someone from GW):

I would say try different designs on the counter or on the floor and choose what you like best, but I wouldn't worry about it competing.

- Jim

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

perqqderqq

Your Giallo Ornamental looks like it has a goldish tone to it. (actually I like it very much,) My Giallo Ornemental is lighter and sort of looks like a whitish tone background. Is it the lighting that is doing that or is yours on the goldish tone?

Maryanne0625 Do you have any photos of your granite top?

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Bill and Perqqderqq - those pictures are very helpful to me, too. I don't know if you've seen my concurrent thread on backsplash help. I have New Ornamental, which is probably the same thing. What to do, what to do...

Bill - In your vast library of pictures, do you have any of the tumbled marble (or similar) with a square row on bottom and diagonal on top with a metal-looking rope or pencil rail in between? Better yet, with metallic 2x2's inset in the diagonal?

See my thread http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg101615262717.html?11

Darn - the link is not showing up. Not sure how to do that. It's called 'Backsplash help - too much?'

Thanks!

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Actually suzatwork, I did see your thread and I tried to post not only those two pictures, but some other sample pictures as well...then the baby started crying. I came back and my post had gone "poof". I was tried and frustrated so I didn't try again. Sorry. Let me point you to Bill Vincent's gallery which, if you haven't seen it already, may help you. It's just as relevant to this thread too. I also just did google IMAGE searches with search terms like, "kitchen", "backsplash", tumbled, diagonal, etc.

- Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Vincent's Countertop and Backsplash Gallery

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Suzatwork-- unfortunately, I don't have anything with metallic tiles. Everything is ceramic, marble, and granite.

Jim-- You're close. That's my original backsplashes and countertops page. My backsplash gallery can be found at the following link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Backsplashes Gallery

• mdmc
    15 years ago

I have Santa Cecelia which is very similar.

• maryann0625
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions and photos!

I'm doing this for resale purposes. I got rid of a very outdated Corian color and replaced it with this neutral granite. My goal is for everything to be fairly neutral and "likeable" (I hope!).

suzatwork - the floor is hardwood -- white oak (not diagonal) that will be refinished without stain.

perqqderqq - thanks for posting the link. Can you tell me the name of your backsplash tile?

organic_nettie - my photo is below. My GO gives an overall tone of creamy to medium brown -- really a nice neutral. There are some hints of green to it in certain lights -- just to complicate the tile color selection process.

mdmc - your photos have been part of my inspiration. I really like your kitchen! Were your tiles enhanced or just sealed?

In the photo below, I'm considering the colors of the brick-style tiles, but still debating between the brick style and the 4 x 4, either straight or diagonal. The tiles are enhanced. In this photo, they take on more of an orangey cast than they do in person. They are fairly neutral. Ignore the tiles at the right.

bill_vincent - your photos and the link to your Backsplashes Gallery gave me a good comparison/contrast of the different styles. I like the color of these Desert Sand tumbled travertine tiles much more after they were enhanced rather than just sealed. Is it possible to enhance tiles before having them set?

Does this much color variation look too busy with my Giallo Ornamental? I appreciate any and all input!

{{!gwi}}

• mdmc
    15 years ago

My tiles were just sealed. I wanted more of a relaxed country look. It turned out just the way I wanted it to.

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

Maryanne0625

Do you have any more pictures of your cabinets and counter. I would like to see a few more.
    You said you are doing this for a resale. Would you have choosen this combination if you were keeping it? I am so confused. Sometimes I think I would like a little more gold in it.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Organic Nettie: My giallo ornamental has many colors in it including some orangey-rust color. Overall I don't think of it as gold though--lots of beiges, browns and I don't know all what in it. I feel like mine looks a lot like maryann0625's in the recent picture, though her grain seems to point almost directly at the backsplash.

Maryann0625: My tile is "light" colored (ivory), 4x4, unfilled,tumbled travertine tile from Firenze Ceramic Tile here in North Hollywood, CA. The inserts are two 2x2 tumbled noce travertine tiles (They came on a 12 x 12 mesh and I cut them into a pieces the size of a 4x4. In terms of the color variation you are considering, I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I wanted very little color variation. I even pulled out the more extreme "ivory" tiles, and I love how it turned out, but I have no idea what might be right for you. I do know if I had variation, it would have to be quite random looking and I didn't trust my installers to make it random enough for my taste. My eye would be drawn to the "clusters" and other uneveness. That said, what you have in your picture would probably look pretty good. If you do use color variation I think I would consider staying away from inserts.

Someone asked about sealing/color enhancing I think. My tiles were sealed with 511 seal and Enhance before installation.

- Jim

• maryann0625
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mcmd - thanks for your response. It's beautiful!

organic_nettie - no other photos worth posting right now -- we're very much in a state flux! I would have chosen the same look even if we were staying. I'm enjoying the fairly neutral background. I think that I, or the next owners, will enjoy making occasional changes to accent pieces to change the look from time to time. The colors that are in this granite are cream, black, gold and several shades of brown, with lesser amounts of orange/rust and taupe. The "jewels" in it are some iridescent specks of white that remind me of mother-of-pearl, some grey-green shiny spots, and some burgundy garnets. Sounds like a lot of colors, but the overall look is a warm light cream-brown. Gold would certainly work as a wall color.

I'm pretty sure that when we move, we'll do something similar to this. (What we have: white raised-panel cabinets; ORB cabinet knobs and matching hinges (to come); black conduction cooktop & appliances; black Silgranit sink; Price Pfister tuscan bronze Marielle faucet & black reverse osmosis faucet; refinished white oak hardwoods (StreetShoe water-based finish, to come). So far, we're liking it.

perqqderqq - you're right, in this photo it looks as though the grain points directly at the backsplash, but there is really an overall diagonal flow. I do like the color variation for the backsplash, so I'm not considering any inserts. I'm hoping that we'll be able to work with the tile installer and end up with a pretty good color distribution.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I love the look of a squared up or horizontal row and then the diagonal. However, if this is for resale keep in mind that a diagonal will require more tile due to waste and the install may be more expensive due because it's more labor.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

I think you are right. With a nice "random" distribution the different colors will look really nice in the backsplash.

- Jim

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I personally prefer the brick style for more interest, but I'm sure those cost more. I also like the 4 x 4's on the diagonal. Either would look really nice.

• maryann0625
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input. After looking at the brick-style (3" x 6") tumbled travertine for several days, I've decided that's the right look after all. I have another question about the size of the grout lines, but I'll start a new thread for that one.

Thanks again!

• rlandry
    14 years ago

mdmc~Please send me info on your back splash. Color of stones, inserts, etc. Thanks