Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_t

Trying to dress up my Ikea cabs - opinion?

dawn_t
9 years ago

6 years later and still trying to wrap up this kitchen :)
Finished the range hood cab and now trying to fancy up this open upper Ikea cabinet. Lined it with beadboard and now adding MDF 1x2's along the face.

My question: For kicks, I tacked a corner block to the top left side between the 1x2 upright and the top arched piece. (I also have these corner blocks around my kitchen window frame). Does this look silly? Would you just butt the 1x2 to the top arched piece and be done with it?

(light rail & crown molding are next!)

Not a great pic, but hopefully shows what I mean...

Comments (12)

• lenzai
    9 years ago

From a purely aesthetic opinion the corner piece looks silly where you have it. It belongs in a corner only. The arched top piece will look just fine the the 1x2's butted directly to it.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

If by "corner block", you mean the narrow vertical strip that has the little circle at the top, I don't think I would call it silly but I do think it adds an unnecessary complexity that doesn't contribute a whole lot.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I think that the light rail and especially crown molding will add plenty of interest.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

That's a range hood? As in combustible material above a heating surface?

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, the block is gone.

Nosoccormom, I think that's it exactly, I was forgetting about the other trim still to be added. That should finish dressing it up :)

GreenDesigns, no, the cabinet pictured is over the dishwasher, next to the sink. I just mentioned the range hood cab, because I'm finally working on the kitchen again and it was finished yesterday. Sorry for the confusion.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Dawn, I love the glimpse of your kitchen and breakfast area. It is so charming. I would love to see more of it!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Dawn, Please share more of your kitchen and then I will be sure to help you. I loved the white color and the look of the door your chose for your Ikea Cabinets. I brought home 6 doors and that is the door that looked best with my tiles. I think the warm but very white color is a match to BM Simply White. I missed the sale and was not able to price out the cabinets to compare with the other manufactures I was looking at and since I would have to hire someone to install them and put the cabinets together, I needed to see the whole price.

I do think light rail and crown molding will look great!

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arghhh, I lost track of this post, sorry!
    Thanks holly-kay and lynn2006. Yes, the Lidingo doors are a close match to BM simply white.

I've shared the first pic before, the others are from today with a *little* more trim done - still lots to add...

peninsula:

(small) baking area:

yes, I have the start of a backsplash!!!

my beloved step in pantry:

dining area/breakfast nook:

gotta love my construction mess on the counter :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would add crown molding, as mentioned before. That alone will do wonders. Not sure if suggested, but I would also do a thick molding on top of your pantry door. Lovely kitchen and I love that door with the sheers! What a great idea!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Are your counters Ikea butcherblock too?
    I love the warm homey feel of your kitchen design and colors.

• michelew90
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is really pretty...just add some crown molding and light rail to the cabinets and a piece of trim above pantry door. Are you missing a piece of filler/trim to the right of the hood? Looks like it to me. If so, add a piece.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Yes, the peninsula is Ikea butcher block (stained & waterloxed).
    I plan on adding the same molding build up to the pantry door as I did in the living room. It's also going over the entrance and closet doors. I really wanted to do the same for the dining room windows, but the wall angles and close proximity of the windows did not give me enough room.

The *one* molding I actually finished, lol: