Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you clean your stove top cast iron grates

Posted by crozzroad (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 12:28

Hello !!! Need your help in this .. we got our kitchen remodeled almost 6 months back and already my stove top grates look black .. they are okay as long as I scrub them for hours! Any easy way out ?

Have a great weekend !

Thanks in advance
crozzroad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you clean your stove top cast iron grates

I welcome the darkness, because I think that means they're seasoning, much like a good cast iron skillet. We just use water and maybe a brush to scrub off any stubborn burnt on spills...then air dry or turn the burners on to heat them dry so they won't rust. We use cleaner like Dawn Power Dissolver on the black shiny pans under the grates (we have a Wolf), but try not to disturb the seasoning on the cast iron. I wish the whole stovetop was cast iron, just for that reason.

o

I throw them in the dishwasher sometimes.

o

I've used a paste of baking soda with fairly good results.

o

My grates are black, and when they look a little goey
I toss them in the dishwasher. And boy that does the
trick they look like new again. I have heard (don't
quote me) that this can cause them to rust. I wonder
if this would be the case with SS grates. Mine are
some black metal, not sure what they are made of.
Bosch Range.

~boxerpups

This is from Good Housekeeping Magazine Ask Helouise

Is there an easy way to keep burners from getting grimy?
-- Elizabeth Malvey, Wakefield, MA

If you cook, there's really no way around it -- but you can give burners a thorough cleaning. Start by wiping grates and burners with a damp sponge. Remove grates and soak in hot, soapy water for 30 minutes. Add a teaspoon of ammonia to the sink water to help loosen the grime. Scrub them with a stiff brush to remove any remaining gunk. To minimize future messes, keep an eye on pots so they don't boil over.

o

I put them in the dishwasher, but without soap.

o

whew! guess I am very lucky. I have used mine on my Caldera for 4 1/2 yrs and have yet to do anything but wipe with a soapy dishcloth occasionally. They are black to begin with but are coated with something that refuses to let anything stick to them. I am so pleased as they look today as they did when installed. pic:( splots on area around burner are easily wiped up with s and w also ! )

Strifried Calamari w/ baby bok choy and red bell pepper

o

Hi !!!
I've been out of action for sometime, hence the late reply, just got in a few days back

Thanks all for your responses . I tried putting them in the Dishwasher, but somehow it dint work! As rhome410 suggested I got the Dawn Power Dissolver, and so far it is the best . I still have to scrub, but not much .. so all is well that ends well :-)

Oh forgot to mention something - this is really pricey, paid approx 8 dollars for a bottle from Amazon

Have a gr8 day all
crozzroad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here