Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Help me source stainless steel for a toe kick

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

I know there are stainless-steel look laminates, and we may just do that, but I'm wondering where to get actual stainless steel 'skin' to use on a toe kick. We were quoted a price by our cabinet company that I think is way too $$$$.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless toe kick

Comments (32)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

I would think that a metal fabrication yard could provide them to you for a very reasonable price...

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

"I would think that a metal fabrication yard could provide them to you for a very reasonable price..."

Agreed. At least, if you define "reasonable" as about $10 a foot and a trip to the seamier side of town. That's the going rate here direct from the fabricator. You also have to have a way to cut it, and deburr the edge. Attaching it is probably best done with contact cement over a MDF substrate which you've previously attached to the toekick area, just like you would do a stainless counter. That means you'll need a "return" edge wherever any edges are exposed, but it also makes for a much sturdier installation.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - live wire - at $10 a foot, it's about a 1/4 of the price being quoted by the cabinet company! I'll check into it.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I suggest trying this for a visual check before committing your dollars. I thought I wanted this as well and used a scrap stainless piece to mock it up. The shiny toekicks did not look nice and worse.. they looked smudged and dirty if someone stood in front and their feet/ show touched the toekick. I abandoned this idea and went with painted toekicks. For the integrated appliances, the painted toekicks are held in place by Velcro.

• malhgold
    10 years ago

We used Frigo Design for stainless toe kicks for our integrated frig/freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigo Design

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Hmm, wonder what they are? Never have found SS I could cut with a knife.
    "stick, if you need to cut them use regular utility knife ��" "

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Funny, was thinking the same thing...I don't think a utility knife is going to touch SS, thinking that doors2me is selling aluminum with a SS finish

What we do when doing a SS kick, we scribe in the toe kick substrate as needed (leaving approx 3/16" gap at the top), miter and glue the corners if possible...then bring them to the fab shop, in my city there is a restaurant ventilation company, he uses my substrates and shears the SS as required and will bend (brake) the corners

We take it all back to the project and use liquid nail to secure the SS to the substrate and install them....lot of times we will use velcro to hold the kicks on, just in case they have to come off at some point in the future. We use to liquid nail them on, but have found it to be safer to use velcro...not regular grade velcro, we use the extreme industrial use

Here is a link that might be useful: Velcro

• Fori
    9 years ago

For our stainless counters in our last kitchen, we used a guy with a shop in SF--wouldn't hurt to contact him and see what he says. Tony was nice to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://industrialists.biz/home

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're already done - not sure who did the fabrication (our GC sourced it), but I can find out if anyone needs a source.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Haha Yes, it's a necro thread brought back to life by spam. :)

Amazing stuff, spam.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

SJHockeyfan, have you posted a picture of them yet? My dad and grandpa had a metal fabrication shop in our basement, and it was in the ghetto. Homeless people, prostitutes, and a crack house on every block. I live in a rural farm area now though so there are lots of metal fabricators here too.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture at the corner of the island. I'll also post one taken from a little farther away.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one from a little distance.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan....where are your cabinets from, and what material is the face..is that a veneer or melamine?

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Very nice! Those toe kicks look great with your cabinets and floors.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks much.

ajc, the cabinets are Bellmont 1900 series. The bottoms are melamine and the tops are acrylic.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Lovely doors, looks great with the SS!

What do you mean acrylic, are they solid acrylic or like a foil?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heaven help me (this is heresy on GW :-) ), but I really don't know the answer to your question - I picked my cabinets based on looks and brand recommendation!

• dietitian
    8 years ago

I know this is old but how are your stainless steel toe kicks doing? Easy to clean? Smudgy? Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I can't think of a reason to use real stainless steel over the laminate in this application. The time and money saved is substantial and the benefits are negligible.

• stephanj
    8 years ago

Those look really cool!

• practigal
    8 years ago

$10-$12 stainless over mdf and the seamy side of town- A very accurate picture. I don't know why these places are always located in the oddest areas. i would be sure to check out Corkett's statement about laminate...and consider how you wash your kitchen floor.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dietician they've held up great and honestly, they don't need much cleaning - there's little to smudge them unlike stainless appliances. I don't remember what it cost, but I can find out if you're interested. We had them cut by a sheet metal fabricator.

• dietitian
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i called my local sheet metal fabricated and he want over $100/sq ft!!! i also called frigo design and they are much more reasonable $65/sq ft. good to hear they have held up well. now I am debating if I should do all SS on all counters or not. hmmmm decisions decisions.

EDIT to add: I forgot this thread was about toe kick. above price is for countertop. My cabinet guy quoted me $1000 for all stainless toe kicks. is that reasonable? kitchen is around 60 linear feet.

• ediblekitchen
    8 years ago

Are you thinking of the IKEA Grevsta? It looks good but it's more of a stainless steel veneer. Here's the product description:

Product description

Reinforced polypropylene, Aluminum foil, Foil, Clear lacquer

• andyscott
    8 years ago

You're right, it is a veneer. It just comes down to your budget for the toe kick.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It looks good but it's more of a stainless steel veneer.

What else would it be? Mind had to be thin/flexible enough to go around corners.

• Gregory Nikoff
    8 years ago

Clarification on Stainless steel toe kicks, the product by Doors2Me.com is toe kick cover that originally was designed for refacing applications - http://doors2me.com/toe-kick-covers/ you CAN cut it with regular utility knife and you DO NOT need to use any glue, it is peel and stick (comes self adhesive). However,

you do need to make sure that the surface where you apply it is clean of dust, dirt, particles and etc. The best thing to use for cleaning is just regular alcohol. Doors2me has been selling the product for over 10 years and its made in Austria so its top quality product that is user friendly and made to last. Also you can apply it to curvy surfaces. If you need actual toe kick 3/4" thick in stainless steel finish then easiest way is to cut some melamine panels and apply ss toe kick covers over it.

• PRO
    Stainless Toe Kick and Wall Base
    7 years ago

We have real, solid stainless steel toe kick that is really, really affordable and easy to buy and apply. Check out the videos of the product and install on our www.stainlesstoekick.com website and let me know what you think!

• Patti Ellsworth
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Stainlesstelletoekick.com, I just found you on the internet and am going to order from you. I will let everyone know how it turns out! I know this post is older than the hills but still relevent.

• sivette
    5 years ago

what about brush brass color, trying to match my champagne bronze faucet in my kitchen!